Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fueling for 200 mile ride
Quote | Reply
How do you properly fuel for a 200ish mile ride, w ~14k ft of rolling hills?
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling for 200 mile ride [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop at grocery stores or gas stations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key for me has been eating real food. I usually break it down into three sections, with meals in the middle. Maybe 75 miles, (meal 1) 65 miles, (meal 2) and then 60 miles. I think the last one I did I had Chipotle for one and subway for the other. Beyond that, my go to has been honey crisp apples, cinnamon raisin bagels, kind granola bars, and Quest protein bars. For hydration I use nuun tablets(2 per bottle), GNC Wheybolic ripped(it has caffeine), and Ucan Energy mix.

What I like to do is mix a protein food with a carb drink for one snack and then a protein drink with a carb food for the next snack and then just rotate. I've done two solo doubles and I think about 30 single centuries this year and I carry all my food on me(except the chipotle and subway of course).

I would say the biggest thing is practice. Learning what works for your body and what doesn't. That's why I'm a big fan of a couple real meals. It feels good to have the food and take a break. When I've had to do longer rides 120 plus without time for a meal, I will turn my bagel into a turkey sandwich and treat it like it's my lunch. I won't stop, but mentally I tell myself it's lunch time and eat it with something to give it a meal feel.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling for 200 mile ride [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that’s what I’m going to do, with some powdered nutrition for the last few hours if my stomach doesn’t want real food

I’m usually eating pop tarts and doughnuts when we stop in 4-5hr rides ... not sure my stomach could handle those every hour tho
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling for 200 mile ride [AboveGround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many calories an hour do you take in? I think I need 300ish / hour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your GI. I have buddies with iron constitutions while mine folds like a cheap card table after 6 hours. I start with a variety of high quality nutrition for as long as possible and then switch to whatever looks good once it get real. Cookies, baked goods, candy bars, whatever, just to get calories. Cramping badly after 165 miles with 40 to go I’ve chugged pickle juice.
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling for 200 mile ride [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have done hard 100 milers 6 of the last 8 weekends. Feel like my legs will be fine, but no idea how my guy will handle it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been the same story for me at everything from IM to DK. My GI just falls apart after a certain duration/intensity.

Hopefully that won’t be the case for you but always good to have a plan b.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200 miles is a long way from 100 miles. If your worried about your gut, do the first 100 like you were planning, then take a fifteen minute break to eat and calm your stomach. Ride another 50 miles, and take another break to eat and calm everything down. So long as it's still light out, does it matter how long it takes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently did a few weekend with about 200mi per day. My first time doing it and just figured thing out on the fly. I just stopped every ~2hr at convenience stores. Refilled my bottles, one Gatorade and one water. Drank one Gatorade at the store, and had 1-2 cups of instant white rice. This was in Korea, where convenience stores have microwaves and instant rice/noodles. Not sure about the options where you are, but white rice seems to be easy on my gut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to plan poop stops!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Add some maltodextrin or whatever you use in every water bottle and eat little but often.Keep fueling the engine for the duration.Solid food during the easier sections so you can digest it and consider drinking ginger ale (the kind with actual ginger) instead of coke for your energy hit treat as the ginger can help settle an upset stomach. An interesting thing to note is that the weather/temperature can have a larger impact on your nutritional needs in a 200miler than you would find in a 100 miler. Just being out there for twice the time changes the game.
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling for 200 mile ride [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Been the same story for me at everything from IM to DK. My GI just falls apart after a certain duration/intensity.

Hopefully that won’t be the case for you but always good to have a plan b.

What is your plan B?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Limit and eliminate insoluble fiber in the days leading up to it. This will help you retain less waste matter in your intestines

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling for 200 mile ride [AboveGround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time isn’t really a motivator

I’m assuming I’ll just try to stay in mid z2 HR zone for as long as I can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently did a WUCA ultra cycling record attempt here in the UK. South to North Wales (180miles). My fuelling was pretty much all liquid fuel, with one cliff bar at halfway. I did have a car follow be with bottles but even if it was self supported I would have used the same method, just stopped in petrol stations to top up. Beta fuel is 330ish calories a serving so it's pretty high in fuel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

90-120g carbs per hour, using somewhere between a 2:1 and 1:1 glucose:fructose ratio via Gatorade plus sucrose (table sugar).
500-1200mg sodium per hour.
750-1100mL fluid per hour.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Fueling for 200 mile ride [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did ride over weekend

Averaged about a bottle of fluid and ~250 calories per hour.

13 hrs total, 11hrs ride time. For pace, I just tried to keep my HR at the low-medium end of Z2

~200 miles & 12k feet of climbing
We made 4 stops at gas stations, and a few mechanicals

I had 12 bottles of fluid (24oz) a Gatorade and a coke to drink. 3 of those bottles had ~200 calories of tailwind nutrition

I averaged ~250 calories / hour. Started out at ~350 and by the end could only muster up desire to drink coke / eat snickers. I don’t recommend quickly eating a pre-packaged, giant, cinnamon roll at mile ~80

If I could do it again... I wouldn’t forget my PB&J sandwiches at home so I’d get a bit more real food and I’d force myself to drink nutrition every hour (I just craved water for some reason) to compliment food

Otherwise great fun and thanks for all your help👊🏿
Last edited by: mvenneta: Nov 1, 20 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I did ride over weekend

Averaged about a bottle of fluid and ~250 calories per hour.

13 hrs total, 11hrs ride time. For pace, I just tried to keep my HR at the low-medium end of Z2

~200 miles & 12k feet of climbing
We made 4 stops at gas stations, and a few mechanicals

I had 12 bottles of fluid (24oz) a Gatorade and a coke to drink. 3 of those bottles had ~200 calories of tailwind nutrition

I averaged ~250 calories / hour. Started out at ~350 and by the end could only muster up desire to drink coke / eat snickers. I don’t recommend quickly eating a pre-packaged, giant, cinnamon roll at mile ~80

If I could do it again... I wouldn’t forget my PB&J sandwiches at home so I’d get a bit more real food and I’d force myself to drink nutrition every hour (I just craved water for some reason) to compliment food

Otherwise great fun and thanks for all your help👊🏿

Strong work!! Impressive riding. I know that water-craving feeling well.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply