Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Overwhelmed Novice [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Fuller wrote:
Hang around on Slowtwitch. You have to sift through a lot of opinions but eventually you will pick up some valuable information. If there is a local triathlon club get with them to do bike rides and OWS swims.

I've learned a ton over the years of being on ST. You'll realize there are a handful of posters who actually know what they're talking about. The only one that comes to mind right now is desert dude.

There is good advice on here, but I agree with the above. I started reading in 2010, and in 2013 when I decided I needed a coach, he was one of the three people I was going to contact (I ended up using a local coach before reaching out). His athletes are always improving.

My personal advice is that it's a very difficult sport in terms of "nailing" because of the optimization of training and racing three different sports. I was reading Matthew Berry's fantasy football column this week and he was discussing careers, but had the line in it that said "you need 10000 hours at something before you are an expert." As depressing as that may seem as a novice, it's really true and offers a bright-side that as long as you are consistent you will continue to see improvements for a long time. Because of this, like others said, consistency is what is going to be your friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Overwhelmed Novice [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
One could reasonably question how much you would lose by skipping the easy 30m run ("this" week), or how much you're gaining by bricking it with a bike. Since the run is my strongest, I'd just drop it and move on down the road. Others might make a different choice based on their own priority.

You're 100% right. Sometimes, it just doesn't happen. For instance, I had a very hard bike on Saturday, and due to work stress, I bagged a 30 min run earlier in the week. I had a 90 min long run Sunday, so I knew that it was either slog through a 30 min run on Saturday after a very difficult bike or call it a day. I called it, mostly because the risk of injury/detrimental effect of that workout was far greater than the very tiny gain I would get from consistency.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Overwhelmed Novice [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t underestimate the value of swimming. It can pay big dividends in your overall fitness, it can kickstart a fast bike leg, and you can train hard in the pool even on days you may be too gassed to run or bike well. For me, I try to swim at least 4 days per week. And, my whole workout is done on an interval. That does not mean that I do every set really fast. It does mean I don’t stand at the wall between sets. I account for every second of every workout. Finally, just like everything else I do there are days when swimming feels easy and then there are days when I am slower. I don’t overthink the slow days but I always make the intervals and I always finish the workout.

If you don’t know how to get started, a good swim coach is worth it. And you will find support from teammates if you join a masters team.

Have fun on your triathlon journey!
Quote Reply
Re: Overwhelmed Novice [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make it a lifestyle. Plan to workout every day and if you can’t workout because life gets in the way, make sure you sleep well and eat right that day. Make that your workout.

You won’t conquer ever sport right away. That’s ok. Make it about a lifestyle and after a while, you will get better at all 3.

I remember how I serious I would take a sprint triathlon and if I was do a half Ironman tomorrow, I would need 15 min to pack what I need and be out of the house. Biggest thing with that in mind is to not get overwhelmed. Don’t make it really serious. Make it fun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next