Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crankset Compatibility - HELP PLZ
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

First post here. I ordered a Shimano 105 R7000 crankset to switch from 175mm to 165mm crank lengths. My bike in question is a 2012 Giant Trinity Composite 2 (see attached picture). The stock and current crankset is an Ultegra R6700 along with Ultegra/105 groupset components. Based on my research and discussions with the bike parts dealer, the R7000, which is an 11 speed as opposed to the 10 speed R6700, will be compatible with all the bikeā€™s stock group components - so no issues there.

The only concern we both have is whether the R7000 is compatible with the bottom bracket. It is hard to find info on this bikeā€™s specs. However, I *think* the bottom bracket is a ā€œFSA MegaExo Press Fit.ā€ It could also be a ā€œFSA Omega MegaExo Press Fit,ā€ if there is any difference between the two.

Does anyone know if the R7000 will fit properly without any issues? Will I need to buy a new bottom bracket for it to fit? Are there any other compatibility issues I should know about?

Iā€™ve attached a picture of my bike for reference.

Any help would be appreciated! I am new to cycling and triathlon, so my bike knowledge is minimal.

Thanks!

CurrJam
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset Compatibility - HELP PLZ [CurrJam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the bike currently have a Shimano crankset installed in it?
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset Compatibility - HELP PLZ [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jimatbeyond,

It has the Shimano Ultegra crankset on it, if I am understanding the terminology correctly... Here is a closer picture, please see the attached.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see any pictures.

Since you have a Shimano crankset currently installed, the new Shimano crankset will fit.

That said, I would probably replace the bottom bracket because you never know how much use/abuse it has seen.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Oct 22, 20 15:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All shimano cranksets have a 24mm spindle. The new crank should fit fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset Compatibility - HELP PLZ [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, good to know! Does that hold true from the date of my bike (2012) to when the R7000 came out in more recent years? Iā€™m worried bracket/crankset compatibility may have been updated at any point in between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said before, bottom brackets are cheap and might as well replace it with another shimano bb, but yeah, they've stayed the same dimensionally. It will be a straightforward swap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All Shimano cranksets have a 24mm axle.
Quote Reply
Re: Crankset Compatibility - HELP PLZ [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, Iā€™ve been replying and posting through my phone. Iā€™m not sure why the attachments didnā€™t go through. But thanks for your insight!
Quote Reply