Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vacation a week before first 1/2, yay or nay?
Quote | Reply
Ok, this may sound incredibly stupid to some, but here goes:

My first 1/2 IM is Ralphs on April 3rd. I've been training consistently about 12hrs/wk since September when I first took up this sport. I've only done two sprints prior. My last spring break of my life is going to be from March 15-19 and I'm not sure whether I should go on vacation. On the one hand, it's MY LAST SPRING BREAK, ever - I'm graduating from law school this year, so I feel I should go nuts and do something fun. On the other hand, I've invested SERIOUS time (as much as 17hrs/week) into training. Triathlon has been my life for the last couple of months, and I don't want to sabotage it. Further, this 1/2 might be my last long-distance race ever because there is a possibility that I'll be working too much to train in the near future (I'm trying to be realistic).

I haven't made firm plans yet, but my options are 1) going to south america to climb machu pichu (I've never hiked up anything before), 2) going to the south of france, (possibly doing parts of le tour) or 3) going to Prague. Of course, the 4th option is staying home (sunny Los Angeles) and continuing my training.

Running is my limiter. I figure that regardless of where I go, I can always run in the mornings. Do you think I'd lose much fitness if I only ran that week (no swimming or cycling)? I generally bike 150mi/week and swim 5000yds/week. Spring break week seems to be the last week of hard-core training before tapering...will running enough?

Your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation a week before first 1/2, yay or nay? [Renault78law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take the vacation and consider it part of your taper.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation a week before first 1/2, yay or nay? [Renault78law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything I have ever read about physiology says that your fitness will not decrease at all over a one week period; even if you do nothing. Somewhere around two weeks is the point where you start to lose fitness (assuming you've had a solid base and haven't taken two week breaks every 4 weeks). You can taper quite well by doing nothing. Now going to France and riding parts of the tour could certainly be detrimental to your race. Going to Jamaica and consuming large amounts of rum could be detrimental to your race. Don't worry about the time off.

sweet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go on vacation, but try to stay active. Truth is, most of us could probably use more time off then we're taking. It may do you good.
Quote Reply