Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero road helmet suggestion for TT training rides (budget, plus fit pic)
Quote | Reply
I crashed in a RR sprint early this year destroying an aero road helmet. My older Evade now is too big. I guess I lost weight in my head somehow. It used to fit.

Either way, I bought the replacement helmet on sale and it works fine for road. I didn't realize that I bought the somewhat aero but the "ventilated climbing" helmet from Giant.

Given my TT fit, it presents itself to the air like a cheese grater.

I want something more aero for training on the TT bike. I race with a Poc TT helmet, not going to train in that.

Budget is MAX of $130 for a new one. Sometimes older model Evades in "team edition" hanging in closets at some LBS's go for pretty cheap, but having no luck.

Looking at this fit.........are there some more affordable aero road helmets that may work well instead of the "known good" ones that are much more expensive?

Fit pic......now with Aerocoach cockpit, but same dimensions:

Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet suggestion for TT training rides (budget, plus fit pic) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Food for thought: aero helmets normally give a better line of sight when running a good head position and therefore allow you to train how you would race. Aero Road helmets have a thick brow that cause you to raise your glance some and lead to training a position you don't want to race.

FWIW I ride my Time Trial bike with my Aerohead, and Cerebel before that, whenever I am using it outdoors.

ETA: that lid is loud as hell and would be a plus on the safety factor.

ETA2: if keeping cool is your issue you can run sans visior on the POC. Changes cooling quite a bit IME

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Oct 20, 20 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road helmet suggestion for TT training rides (budget, plus fit pic) [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Food for thought: aero helmets normally give a better line of sight when running a good head position and therefore allow you to train how you would race. Aero Road helmets have a thick brow that cause you to raise your glance some and lead to training a position you don't want to race.

FWIW I ride my Time Trial bike with my Aerohead, and Cerebel before that, whenever I am using it outdoors.

ETA: that lid is loud as hell and would be a plus on the safety factor.

ETA2: if keeping cool is your issue you can run sans visior on the POC. Changes cooling quite a bit IME

That's a great point. I do notice what you're saying. I can stay down in the POC, but find the "cheating looks" being a lot worse on the road helmets.

I can't knock it until I try it. I'll try it.
Quote Reply