Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
rayman54 wrote:
I did the exact same thing a few years ago. I'm 66 and I found that I almost never used the 11/12 sprockets. Living in New England and a hilly area I really like my Franken-cassette!! The only downside was buying 2 cassettes.

Bingo! Waste of space. Better off spending Watts elsewhere on course than at >34mph unless you're world class. Time savings per kcal energy expense at those speeds is horrible!

A waste of watts if you're trying to push hard at those speeds. I'm not that strong since I'm old, but I'm relatively very aero and efficient based on what I've seen in the thread about race power/speed. At higher speeds, such as on gradual downhills, I like to concentrate on getting as aero as possible (shrug/turtle/low) and continue to pedal at a decent cadence but relatively low power output such as ~100 watts. I find I really fly without much effort since I'm very aero, and at that power output it's like active recovery. Pretty much impossible to do that if you don't have at least reasonable gears, for me 50 x 11 w/ 165 cranks is plenty.

Speaking as an older rider whose fastest average of any ride this year is 23 mph, I find it hard to imagine averaging in the mid to upper 20s without having reasonable high gears, but hey, whatever works for you.

YMMV.

I bet you'd go faster in the race overall if you stopped pedaling once you hit 30-32 mph and just focused on aero as you say. Agreed that you can totally fly if you nail the aero position on a downhill. Passive recovery works better than active recovery at race-level exertion when work to rest ratios are very high. When work to rest ratios are lower (long descent), some passive recovery at the beginning may be optimal. That should probably transition into place as a rider makes their way up from race average speed to spin out speed. (Once over crest and accelerating downward with help of gravity.)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Interesting that you had that experience. I've only got that cassette (Miche Primato Light) on my disc wheel which has seen pretty limited use, but I've been very happy with it. The shifting has been fine, and that's with Shimano r7000 (105). Maybe if I was using something fancier I might have noticed, but I click the shift lever and it moves the chain! YMMV.

I have a Miche 13-26 10 speed on one of my bikes. I had a hell of a time getting the largest cog to sit right on the 10 speed freehub on initial installation. It kept ending up a little tilted once I got the lock ring cinched down. Took me about 4 tries to get it square. Can't really say what I did different the last time. But I eventually got it.

At first, I was pretty unhappy with the shifting. Then I realized I was using a GS rear derailleur with a very tight cluster. Once I put a new Tiagra 4700 SS RD on there, everything was great. Shifts every bit as well as any Shimano or SRAM cluster I've had on that bike.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have made a 14-36 for my father. Combining 14-28 ultegra with sram rival 11-36.
Works very well on his ultegra 6800 long cage.
Recently he did Kwaremont, Paterberg and Koppenberg on it.
Not bad for a 69 year old!
I agree that for most mortals 14 or 13t cassettes would make more sense.
It seems that lightweight people in crosswinds seem to be more cadence sensitive that heavier more powerful riders.
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
52-36, now.

53-39, in future.

Have you thought about the Wickwerks 53/34?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
52-36, now.

53-39, in future.

I have now! Thank you!

Had seen that a while back but think I wrote it off because of incompatibility issues with Rotor 5 bolt. Do you happen to know much about their shift quality? Or compatibility with Rotor? I'm sure I could figure it out online, just wondering if you new offhand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering what people's experience is running frankencassettes on di2 and synchroshift, as e-tube only allows the preselected standard cassettes.

I substituted in a 12t cog for the 11t on an 11-34 cassette on my older road bike on R8000 mechanical, haven't done this yet on my newer ultegra di2.
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
Just wondering what people's experience is running frankencassettes on di2 and synchroshift, as e-tube only allows the preselected standard cassettes.

I substituted in a 12t cog for the 11t on an 11-34 cassette on my older road bike on R8000 mechanical, haven't done this yet on my newer ultegra di2.
You do know, that you can manually configure the synchro?
As in which cog it shifts the FD and how where the RD moves when front shifts. With a gear calculator it should be pretty straight forward finding the prefferred setup.
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Im looking to do something similar, can you remember what your combinations were and what rear mech you used?
Cheers
Lewis
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [lewisscott1524] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XTR rear mech. I believe it was a Shimano XT 11-40, Ultegra 12-25, and a 105 cassette that had a 20T I could use IIRC.
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Martin,
Cheers for the fast reply, Im going to start putting together a cassette for hilly TTs on 1x.
Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
52-36, now.

53-39, in future.

I tried 53-34 with Shimano. Works. Shift quality is not as good as when staying within the confines of Shimano recommendations, but is 100% acceptable for non-racing. 100% acceptable for tri racing too. Maybe questionable for road racing (cycling).

Quote Reply
Re: 14-32 Cassette, from Shimano! Kidding....it's a 14-28 / 11-32 mashup. So far so good. [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:

Works just fine with di2. Have done various iterations.

Quote Reply

Prev Next