Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a response to you in particular... just a curiosity.

When the M-dot circus rolls into madison for the 70.3 and for the 140.6, the semi trucks show up, their staff is on the ground, and the site prep happens in the week leading up to the race.

So I'm assuming team ironman was full steam ahead on the ground prepping in Galveston this week? Is there a half-finished transition area, registration area, barricades and porta potties and logistical supplies in staging areas etc on the ground right now in Galveston? Or was this just a game of chicken with the city and ironman would have pulled the plug anyways?

I'm wondering if the city had actually issued the permits, logistically, was everything else already in motion to still pull this off? Seems rather expensive thing for team ironman to have to pull the plug this close to the race if they were actually planning to go this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:

So I'm assuming team ironman was full steam ahead on the ground prepping in Galveston this week? Is there a half-finished transition area, registration area, barricades and porta potties and logistical supplies in staging areas etc on the ground right now in Galveston?

From my second/third hand knowledge of things that’s not an assumption I’d make.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I'm over an hour away when there's no traffic, so I don't have any knowledge on that. I suspect the trucks might have been there, but they would not have been able to start any setup without the permits.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
Good question. I'm over an hour away when there's no traffic, so I don't have any knowledge on that. I suspect the trucks might have been there, but they would not have been able to start any setup without the permits.

I’m with you on that. I was told there was nothing setup yet. That doesn’t mean the trucks weren’t somewhere in the area though.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Yeti racer wrote:
Inside word... it's cancelled

Yesterday I reached out to a contact I have in Galveston and that person stated permits had not been approved as of noon yesterday. That person stated there was logistically no way the race was happening if the permits were not yet approved by that time. That person said that while Galveston County was okay-ish from a COVID perspective, they knew the vast majority of athletes were coming from the Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio areas which are not doing well from a COVID perspective. Ironman’s press release more or less says the same.

I didn’t want to post anything here because it was conjecture at that point.

Canceling the race on four days notice is pretty shitty. Sorry for those of you getting hosed here. Ironman knew the state of Texas was having 10,000+ cases per day and that Houston is a problem area. Didn’t take Nostradamus to figure this one out.

Galveston said it was good to go. What you have here is the Harris County Judge forcing shit to be cancelled. The same type of person that wants to fine people 1K for not wearing a mask when they're also likely unemployed. Harris County judge is also a politician and not a licensed attorney.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Yeti racer wrote:
Inside word... it's cancelled

Yesterday I reached out to a contact I have in Galveston and that person stated permits had not been approved as of noon yesterday. That person stated there was logistically no way the race was happening if the permits were not yet approved by that time. That person said that while Galveston County was okay-ish from a COVID perspective, they knew the vast majority of athletes were coming from the Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio areas which are not doing well from a COVID perspective. Ironman’s press release more or less says the same.

I didn’t want to post anything here because it was conjecture at that point.

Canceling the race on four days notice is pretty shitty. Sorry for those of you getting hosed here. Ironman knew the state of Texas was having 10,000+ cases per day and that Houston is a problem area. Didn’t take Nostradamus to figure this one out.

Galveston said it was good to go. What you have here is the Harris County Judge forcing shit to be cancelled. The same type of person that wants to fine people 1K for not wearing a mask when they're also likely unemployed. Harris County judge is also a politician and not a licensed attorney.

Do you agree that it was the right call? Or do you disagree?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

No offense but you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Galveston is not in Harris County. The race comes nowhere near the Harris County border. The race uses none of Harris County’s resources. Does Galveston County take some cues from its bigger neighbor? Sure. But Harris County doesn’t make decisions for Galveston County.

The reason Harris, Dallas, and Travis (where Austin is) Counties were mentioned in their press release was because that’s where all the athletes were coming from. Dallas and Travis counties are four and five hours away. Did their County Judges make the decisions for Galveston too? Everyone loves to pile on the Harris Co. Judge for her decisions but she had fuck all to do with this. Despite your copy and paste from a Facebook page. 🙄

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking I've already talked about mental fatigue of the situation we're in. We're seeing suicide and OD rates continuing to climb compared to a normal year. Outdoor sport is not linked to transmission, so I think race cancellations only harm people.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

No offense but you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Galveston is not in Harris County. The race comes nowhere near the Harris County border. The race uses none of Harris County’s resources. Does Galveston County take some cues from its bigger neighbor? Sure. But Harris County doesn’t make decisions for Galveston County.

The reason Harris, Dallas, and Travis (where Austin is) Counties were mentioned in their press release was because that’s where all the athletes were coming from. Dallas and Travis counties are four and five hours away. Did their County Judges make the decisions for Galveston too? Everyone loves to pile on the Harris Co. Judge for her decisions but she had fuck all to do with this. Despite your copy and paste from a Facebook page. 🙄

Well it's not that clear from the email:

SayHey Kid wrote:
⚠️ URGENT RACE UPDATE ⚠️

We regret to inform you that the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Texas triathlon cannot take place on November 22 due to the elevated public safety alert that is in effect for Harris County, in addition to the stay at home orders and recommendations for Dallas, Travis, and other surrounding counties based upon the continued acceleration of COVID-19 infections in Texas. The IRONMAN 70.3 Texas triathlon will now return on April 11, 2021.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Texas triathlon will be receiving an email with further information. If you have additional questions or do not receive the email with further information, please contact texas70.3@ironman.com. While we are prevented from holding the event in 2020, we thank our athletes for their understanding at this late juncture and look forward to providing them with an exceptional race experience in the future.

So would you think this is the first voluntary cancellation by Ironman since clearly Galveston said this is good to go in their comms? But thanks for the geography lesson :)

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Nov 19, 20 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you were wrong.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but they mention nothing of Galveston county in that statement. So, my question remains, is this the first voluntary cancellation?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As has been mentioned before, it is not the swimming biking & running to be concerned about during a triathlon. It is the before, the after, & quite frankly T1 & T2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I bet the majority of athletes are just learning about it this morning and probably had hotels/VRBOs/AirBnBs booked for tomorrow. Best of luck getting out of those on one day notice.

That's my problem with this late of a notice. Can't cancel it now and get a refund.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So, my question remains, is this the first voluntary cancellation?

Galveston county didn't approve the permits.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
So, my question remains, is this the first voluntary cancellation?

Galveston county didn't approve the permits.

Any idea how far out permits are normally issued for something like this? I would think a go/no go on permits would normally be more conservative.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not specifically on this event, but I was RD for 5k for 12 years in Ft. Bend county/Sugar Land. We’d get our approval months in advance. I suspect that Galveston was holding off because this was the reschedule of the April event. In any case, I think the city/county has the right to pull permits should they need (weather, health or destruction of infrastructure, just to name a couple).

I’m pretty sure they didn’t want to cancel it. Everyone wins when a good event is held..

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if any is in Galveston the silver lining is that it is beautiful weather and a great place to train. My buddy and I were here for other reasons but plan an open water swim tomorrow and a long run on the beach.

Racing is a bonus and it sucks we don’t have it but focus on what we do have which is great weather and good food in Galveston.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where should we be going for the good food? Seafood specifically.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

ive lived about an hour and a half from galveston my whole life and never really thought the food offerings in galveston were all that spectacular.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now there’s the finger pointing. Galveston saying IM canceled it. IM saying Galveston didn’t approve the race. Good times.

Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - I haven’t found any good seafood places in Galveston. The closest is a casual poboy place, Shrimp & Stuff, which I highly recommend.

The restaurants in Galveston are pretty run down and outdated, for the most part. The casual stuff is fine if you stick with traditional food like burgers, pizza, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 - cancelled, postponed or held on Nov 22 schedule? What do you think? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

ive lived about an hour and a half from galveston my whole life and never really thought the food offerings in galveston were all that spectacular.

I never found anything spectacular about Galveston. The beaches suck, the Gulf water is awful compared to down near South Padre or further east in Alabama and Florida, the restaurants are meh, the hotels are meh, the attractions are meh, and the place is kind of a dump. Other than all that it’s great. 😁

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

I never found anything spectacular about Galveston. The beaches suck, the Gulf water is awful compared to down near South Padre or further east in Alabama and Florida, the restaurants are meh, the hotels are meh, the attractions are meh, and the place is kind of a dump. Other than all that it’s great. 😁

On this I agree. I raced twice at Galveston. It is a great early season race off the trainer and easy to get to if you are flying in since Houston is an easy hub to get to. I would not pick Galveston as a destination to fly to (other better options), but if I was local, its fine for a short getaway.

In any case, this entire scenario sucks for all parties. Cancel at least 9 days out (one Friday before).
Quote Reply

Prev Next