Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by DV8R
Re: So I want to be a Race Director [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should have some award for top 3 overall male and female finishers. Its nice to have that little incentive and reward / acknowledgement.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: So I want to be a Race Director [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first things to consider are access to the land, and what type of constraints the landowner would put on usage. Think about parking availability of AC power where the start and finish will be where people will hang around before and after the race where you will do awards things like that. Walk the day through in your head from arriving at the race picking up numbers staging, finishing, awards. If you feel like your venue will work out then chase down the event sanctioning from a national organizing body and insurance and make sure the insurance will work with the landowner.

From there you can start organizing your event and getting all the parts in place. Find someone experience who can work with you you will need to hire a timer, secure some kind of awards so people have a feeling of accomplishment, get a bunch of volunteers, all that kind of stuff.

I have helped a lot of people start races in the sport of cyclocross and for the most part new promoters do pretty well and often do a better job than I do. It helps if someone listens and follows the prescription for doing the race but then also has a creative mind so they can add their own enhancements to it as time goes by. You want to charge enough so you can start accumulating the equipment you need to put on a decent race. So things like easy up tents, finish line staging, a PA system, folding tables, staple guns all that kind of stuff comes out of your profits from the race. I bought a trailer and over the years have filled it up with all the things a person needs to put on a race and then I just rent it out to local promoters so they have all of the course marking equipment and the podium and all that stuff that nobody wants to clutter up their garage with.

I would suggest not making it a goal to do a race that is cheap or minimal or half-assed. Do A nice job and charge a fair price and take care of your volunteers and officials and timers and people like that. Look at it as a 5 or 10-year project and be patient try to make it better every year.
Last edited by: jroden: Oct 16, 20 18:33
Quote Reply