Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Official Kú TF1 thread
Quote | Reply
So the European launch was a fact yesterday, with lots of coverage and lots of different and mixed reactions :-).
There will be an official US and Australia / Asia launch early 2021 however the question is if that is still neccessary after all yesterday's responses :-)
It seems the world have seen the Kú TF1 already with reactions coming from all over the globe.

But due to the way the TF1 is sold, through authorized fitters only and not through regular bike shops, which has everyhting to do with the way each bike is made accordingly to your specific fitcoördinates.
The company is EU based so that's where they started to launch with the first fitters. Fitters based elsewhere with interest can of course send a request through the website. https://www.ku-cycle.com/.../#fitter-application

If you have any further questions feel free to shoot them at us.
If you like to see a fitter you can find them here https://www.ku-cycle.com/fitter-locator/

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Oct 16, 20 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kú TF1 thread [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I'll start (after having already discussed in the other thread):

According to the homepage
https://www.ku-cycle.com/design-cfd/
following is stated:
"The TF1 configuration shows decreased rider drag and increased bike drag in comparison to the P5 configuration. This results in a small overall increase total drag."

So it seems that the KU is aerodynamically slightly worse that the (old) P5?
If I understand that well, why do they put that on their homepage?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kú TF1 thread [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you'll allow me to tell a long story to answer a short question ;)

The driving concept for the CFD aero study that goes back to 2017 was to investigate the manipulation of the air flow to reduce the drag of the rider and bike combined. This use of the air is fundamental to vehicle aerodynamics, it’s what gives us downforce in a race car. In my experience most bike designs are based solely around minimising the obstruction for the air to passively reduce drag. What you see in the CFD study is that although the bike is worse than the P5 baseline, the contribution to overall drag from the rider is reduced. This demonstrated that the concept of manipulating the airstream could work.

The contribution of the rider is so large a small improvement in this area can have a large impact on the overall CdA. The basic CFD concept model of the bike + rider presented an almost identical CdA to the P5 + rider. Back in 2017 this was sufficient proof of concept for me to progress to real prototypes, a process which took another two years.

Taking us up to August 2020, we see from the velodrome performance test results that, even though the aero development of the now the P5 Disc has advanced from the older model we used for CFD, so has development of the Kú TF1, more than keeping pace.

In the velodrome test, the rider position (Jeroen Van Geelen) was exactly replicated from his P5 Disc (2020) to a Kú TF1 built specifically for him. Our test protocol did not allow for optimisation of his position on the Kú TF1. The test purpose was to emphasise the like-for-like comparison of moving his fit from his existing bike to the Kú TF1. The result is a competitive development platform with considerable room for further optimisation of the rider and Kú TF1 combination.....

What we show on the website is full disclosure, with all our numbers telling the story of our development process; CFD testing (2017), shakedown testing (Feb 2020) and performance testing (Aug 2020), demonstrating the Kú TF1 already being competitive to the P5 disc and a significantly lower CdA than two other recognised branded Tri bikes.

http://www.ku-cycle.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kú TF1 thread [Richard@Kú] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your extensive answer. It is good that you get already near to a bike like the p5D which is generally acknowledged as very good.

It is a pity :-) that my "old" P5 still functions well, I must say I would consider the KU seriously. I like the concept as a whole and especially the personalized paintjob with which you can get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some real live pictures and it looks even cooler in action

Complete gallery here

https://www.ku-cycle.com/...nCAT7QzMGtfym2F7wmJY

But just a few shots

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting concept and bike. One question, how is the real-world standover clearance with most riders on thse bikes? The top tube seems extremely high and it looks like, when standing or trying to mount the bike, there will very little space between the top tube and the rider's body.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...Direct-mount & ZeroSlip-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com....Reviews....Instagram....Facebook

Quote Reply
Re: Official Kú TF1 thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point!

The SOH is a bit higher then what you are used to, But there is clearence enough to just stand still at a traffic light with both feet on the ground.
But for sure tighter then what you are used too.

However, there is way more then enough clearence when you have 1 foot in the pedal.
So indeed it is higher then on most bikes but it never was an issue at any of my rides. And both the nuts are still in one piece 😉.
It was also not an issue with one of the other athletes in pics.

But since it is a rider specific design and the inseam is one of the metrics noted on the customer order form by the fitter.
Richard McAinsh, the designer of the bike, will look at the final design of your bike to make sure everything fits as it should be.
This process is discussed and done together with your fitter so the final bike will be perfect for you.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then you are on the indoor trainer looking at a GTN video called ‘how to rediscover your motivation’ waiting for 2 new Kú’s to arrive next week......suddenly and unexpected you are featured in this GTN video LOL.
So now my pics have gone global :-).

We will show some of the first customer design shortly. Some are really awesome and shows how cool this custom your bike feature is.
Not only colour but the whole design as well. Incl. a design for a team.

https://www.youtube.com/...LxdleClbdi98HfiYxOug

At 12.15

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the (effective) headtube angle/rake on that thing looks crazy - like downhill MTB levels of slackness! how's handling?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Kú TF1 thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
the (effective) headtube angle/rake on that thing looks crazy - like downhill MTB levels of slackness! how's handling?

The looks are deceiving since geometry wise this is a copy of the Cervelo P5 disc in terms of the front center and my fit on that bike as they were used in aero test held in August on the velodrome in Germany under supervision of Gebiomized.

https://www.ku-cycle.com/performance-test/

I got the TF1 used in the test just prior to it and had never ridden on a velodrom before. Could hardly tell the difference in handling.
There was a larger difference it the real world open road, it is very nice when there is wind. Like it doesn’t catch the fork/frame as much as some other bikes.

But it handles quite similar. The cool thing of this bike is that you actually can built it how you prefer, so with a longer or shorter front center. It is really made rider specific.
It is explained to the site but each bike will be built to your fitcoordinates with still room to have about 10 cm up/down with your armpads and also room to go fore/aft. But also your wish how you want it to handle. And you can make your own design paint job.

I have 2 coming my way somewhere next week, early the week after. One built with a front center of 65 cm and 1 with almost 63 cm.
The 65 cm front center is a bit of an experiment, it will act like turning a bus but will be super stable in the aerobar. Which will suit the conditions we have here with a lot of wind on long stretches of open road. And 2 for customers. In different paint jobs.

It will be nice to test to see and feel the difference between the 63 and 65 c, front center while all they will be set up with the same pad stack en reach.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first 2 customer bikes on their way!

Matte dark blue and matte black. Very nice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two more on their way to us, the ball is rolling ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice article on the Kú TF1 in German triathlon magazine. Translated to English ;-)

Quote Reply