Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeh, and they cost ($30) almost as much as a brand new GP 5000 tire. No thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not a fair comparison is it? You're comparing retail price of one item to deep discount on the other. GP5000 retail for $80 and are usually $40-60.

In my case, inner tubes sometime last longer than my tires, so even $/mile isn't that bad.

If nothing else, I see it as a $15 premium over latex for the convenience of less frequent inflation.

I'll at least get one for the repair kit since it is so much smaller
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it would be hard to quantify but the quality of construction would be one metric I am interested in. I would rank the Challenge tubes behind the Vittorias based on the how the part with the valve is bonded to the rest of the tube and having had problems with that before. For what these things cost it would be nice to see some really quality construction.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The funny thing about tube cost is that it's less than the nutrition I consume on a 5 hour ride, assuming latex at sale prices, and lasts seasons. It's not that new tubes are expensive but that butyl is just so cheap.

Reminds me of free range, organic, etc. eggs. Even at $6/dozen, a 4 egg omelet with veggies and a slice of good bread costs maybe $3. And that's a big nutritious meal. But we think $6 is a lot because we're anchored on $1 eggs.

If these tubes are more durable, lighter, and pack up much smaller, then the incremental cost is tiny for those benefits, imo. Especially in the context of $5000 bikes, $500 races, and $50 boxes of gels. Of course price sensitivity is different for everyone, and I dont mean to downplay that factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Farm Fresh? Natural? Eggs Not Always What They're Cracked Up To Be

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/12/23/370377902/farm-fresh-natural-eggs-not-always-what-they-re-cracked-up-to-be

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I didnt mean to make it a discussion about eggs. But just that $6/dozen makes cheaper meals than eating at Burger King, yet people just think its expensive because of anchoring on how dirt cheap the alternative is. It's bias. I think the same applies to tubes.

On a side note: The article says the chickens are better off for some of these labels such as free range (some other labels mean nothing), just not to the degree that some people imagine. Yes, they're not prancing around old McDonald's farm with unlimited space. Is your point that if they're not at McDonald's farm, we might as well stuff them in a cage so small that they can't even stand up? General advice: dont let "perfect" get in the way of "better."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get two dozen eggs at Costco for about $4.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you can. Sometimes you can get a dozen for $1.50. And?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were talking about eggs at $6 per dozen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You were talking about eggs at $6 per dozen.
BigBoyND wasn't saying that cheaper eggs aren't available. They were saying that, even at $6/dozen, you can make pretty cheap meals out of eggs.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting hungry for a ham and cheese omelet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

what kind of cheese?

i've been getting into smoked mozzarella in my omelettes these days. worth the price.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerocoach Tests Schwalbe’s New Tubes [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Straight cheddar, the classic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
That's not a fair comparison is it? You're comparing retail price of one item to deep discount on the other. GP5000 retail for $80 and are usually $40-60.

In my case, inner tubes sometime last longer than my tires, so even $/mile isn't that bad.

If nothing else, I see it as a $15 premium over latex for the convenience of less frequent inflation.

I'll at least get one for the repair kit since it is so much smaller

^^^This.

Seems reasonable to get some weight reduction for the flat kit on my race bike, and storage area on my Shiv is quite tight, so this should help.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply