Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Friction sucks
Quote | Reply
After miles and miles on my bike, I have what feels like a needle sitting firmly in my crotch. (I usually use Chamois Butt'R, but ran out two weeks ago and haven't used any since.) Upon closer inspection, there appears to be a tiny little saddle sore. HOLY OUCH - this hurts like a son of a gun! So, I really don't want to just "stay off the bike and let it heal". There has to be a better way!

How does one best treat a saddle sore without giving up saddle time?

(Why not give up riding? Because I like it. If you don't understand, I can't explain it.)

-Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Friction sucks [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm. Well, OK, first of all (and I apologize in advance for this being nasty and gross) if it is filled with goo you have to operate. Best have a steady hand and a sharp knife my friend. That part is pretty much self explanatory. Make sure the area is super clean and your gear- ah- knife that is- is clean and cut that sucker open. Get the goo out and put some alcohol on it. Burns like mad.

Let it air out for while (so sorry my good man, no panties for you for a day or two I'm afraid).

If there isn't apparent goo in there, then best to clean the area, keep pressure off it and let it dry out a bit. They usually go away in 24-48 hours. Just in time for Valentine's Day.

Prevention is worth any cure though. After you recover pull out the gold card and get a pair of better shorts or three. Use chamois cream too, it works wonders. Be sure your bike fits correctly.

Short of that, if it gets worse, call the doc.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Friction sucks [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. My wife [i]loved[/i] the idea of me coming to work today commando. :) Should make for an interesting V-day Eve!

I've used some antibiotic cream on it (with painreliever - ahhhh) and it feels pretty good today.

I know there's nothing wrong with my bike fit - you fit me a few years ago!

-Jay
Quote Reply