Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

interesting review article pointing out that heel striking is as efficient as forefoot running
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitchers,

since it's the off season of a season that never happened I wanted to work on my running economy. I was told by a lot of people, coaches and especially google that fore/midfoot running is much more efficient than landing on your heel. So, I asked myself if there were studies that analysed strike pattern and running efficiency and I was surprised to read the article below.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S2095254617300285

It basically concludes that landing on your fore/midfoot is not more efficient than landing on your heel and that you don't gain anything from modifying your foot strike pattern....

Well, looks like I need to improve my running economy elsewhere...

Any experience anyone on this?

Best,
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: interesting review article pointing out that heel striking is as efficient as forefoot running [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett Sutton has been saying this for years in regard to triathlon and especially IM. Have a look through some of his blogs.
Quote Reply
Re: interesting review article pointing out that heel striking is as efficient as forefoot running [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you watch any of the the available super-slow-mo videos of elites at major marathons (there are many on YouTube), it's interesting to note how many of them do land on their heels. Not all but a number of them. They barely touch the ground with the heel before immediately, smoothly transitioning to midfoot and forefoot. But their heels do touch first
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, pronation is bad... wait what..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bottom line is think less & run more. That's a proven way to increase running economy.

There are really only a few ways to increase running economy
run more frequent
run more volume. By this I don't mean 30-35 mpw to 40-45 mpw. Probably more along the lines of working from 30-35 towards 70-80mpw
run longer long runs at an easy pace
run really fast, more like 400-1 mile race pace fast
run hills -easiest if you can find a ton of hills to add into every run vs just doing hill repeats although those aren't going to hurt
and don't over stride, although some of the above can help fix that

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: interesting review article pointing out that heel striking is as efficient as forefoot running [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The bottom line is think less & run more. That's a proven way to increase running economy.

run more frequent
run more volume. By this I don't mean 30-35 mpw to 40-45 mpw. Probably more along the lines of working from 30-35 towards 70-80mpw
run hills -easiest if you can find a ton of hills to add into every run vs just doing hill repeats although those aren't going to hurt

Well, I am actually a bit relieved that foot strike pattern is not that important to focus on because even though I was really careful in trying it, I was on the brink of a repetitive use injury. When I was running forefoot style I was 10-20 sec slower per km at a given heart rate, it also felt a ton harder and after 1 km I was burned...

Sad thing is that even after 5 years in the sport all the magic bullets that I shoot and all the snake oil that I buy have minimal to no effect and only solid training does. But why? I am so smart, way smarter than anyone else here! I hate to be told that I won't be able to qualify for Kona with 6h of training per week....dammit. Snake oil is just too attractive.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your input. I can't avoid thinking that you know what you are talking about and that is indeed greatly appreciated - but I am like my kids, I sometimes don't like to be told the truth ;-)
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall, the most important aspect is that your foot lands underneath your body rather than in front of it.

However, I would ask anyone claiming that their natural way of running is to land on their heel, to please take their shoes off and go run a few meters on the grass barefoot and then see if you still claim it doesn't matter if you're heel striking.

I appreciate that people can run fast on their heels, the same way people can make a variety of different styles of any movement 'work', but I do not believe it is the natural or most efficient way to run and see this best demonstrated by trialling running without shoes on.

Most important and the best place to start for running though, is to get the foot landing under the body.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could have sworn a read this in running magazine at the public library in the late 70s.

Anyone else remember it?

I think it was when Bill Rogers was winning Boston

I thought this was already accepted as fact for the last Literally 40 years?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Oct 15, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: interesting review article pointing out that heel striking is as efficient as forefoot running [FtStri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
Overall, the most important aspect is that your foot lands underneath your body rather than in front of it.

However, I would ask anyone claiming that their natural way of running is to land on their heel, to please take their shoes off and go run a few meters on the grass barefoot and then see if you still claim it doesn't matter if you're heel striking.

I appreciate that people can run fast on their heels, the same way people can make a variety of different styles of any movement 'work', but I do not believe it is the natural or most efficient way to run and see this best demonstrated by trialling running without shoes on.

Most important and the best place to start for running though, is to get the foot landing under the body.

yes to all of this. focus on a high cadence (especially when racing) and you get that foot strike under the body.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anything years (And years and years...) of running striking forefoot have messed up my big toe and ball of foot. Feels like mortons neuroma but don't think it is. I've been doing calf stretching and ankle flexibility exercises. Modifying the gait to more heel to midfoot strikes made a huge difference to my symptoms.
Quote Reply
Re: interesting review article pointing out that heel striking is as efficient as forefoot running [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

run more frequent

This. I used to believe that I needed to get on my fore foot to avoid injuries, but it really turned out that focusing on landing more forward on my foot just taught me to land with my feet under my body vs reaching out with my foot. I think more people associate heel striking with over striding because it is so exaggerated.

I can definitely see where landing with your heel first can work in a smooth stride though, as long as it happens under your body. You really are not weighting your heel much either, mostly just lines up your foot to the ground so you can roll to the fore foot to push off.
Quote Reply