Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easy to read options for pedal power meter left / right power
Quote | Reply
Hello All:
We are using a Garmin Edge head unit and Assioma Duo pedals in a rehabilitation setting. The main display we need for this study is the left and right power from the cycling dynamics screen. The patients and even the PTs are finding it hard to read the small screen so I'm looking for options.
Simplest/crudest might be to mount the Edge on an extension to move it closer to the patient's face and possibly use a full-page magnifying glass. These magnifying glasses are just $6 on Amazon and I'll be trying one later this week or early next week.
Even so, I'm curious about other options. It would be great if I could somehow link the Edge to an external monitor. None of my searches turned up any mention of that option. Have I missed something?
Alternatively, is there an App that acts just like an Edge and gives left and right power? I saw a mention of TrainerRoad in one disucssion forum but it wasn't clear if that would show left / right power. Other apps? My search of Google Play didn't turn up anything that looked promising.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Best wishes,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to read options for pedal power meter left / right power [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perf Pro studio might be able to give you something you need https://perfprostudio.com/

It looks like it'll show you percentage balance so you might be able to customize that/use something like windows magnifying to zoom on that specific part.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to read options for pedal power meter left / right power [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An ANT+ USB stick to get it onto a computer screen with Golden Cheetah perhaps? There's also Android apps I believe where you can probably set it to display in a rather large font.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to read options for pedal power meter left / right power [gromaton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gromaton.

gromaton wrote:
Perf Pro studio might be able to give you something you need https://perfprostudio.com/
It looks like it'll show you percentage balance so you might be able to customize that/use something like windows magnifying to zoom on that specific part.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to read options for pedal power meter left / right power [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks MTM! I didn't realize GoldenCheetah had a training interface. We'll try that today.

MTM wrote:
An ANT+ USB stick to get it onto a computer screen with Golden Cheetah perhaps? There's also Android apps I believe where you can probably set it to display in a rather large font.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Thanks MTM! I didn't realize GoldenCheetah had a training interface. We'll try that today.

MTM wrote:

I must admit I'm not 100% sure, but it has some trainer control interface AFAIK so it might have something you can use. Worth a look at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to read options for pedal power meter left / right power [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:

MTM wrote:

I must admit I'm not 100% sure, but it has some trainer control interface AFAIK so it might have something you can use. Worth a look at least.

I'll check on this as soon as I go into the lab. Will report back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! GoldenCheetah has left right balance as a percent as well as total power.
We'd prefer to have absolute left and right power but this will get us started.
I have also run across discussions of monitoring two power meters with GoldenCheetah. We'll looking in to the possibility of linking to each pedal separately.
Thanks again!
Jim

MTM wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
MTM wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, glad I could help :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We'll looking in to the possibility of linking to each pedal separately.

If I'm reading this correctly you're considering trying to link the the right and left pedals separately. I don't think that will work. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the right pedal is a "slave" to the left pedal and does not transmit separately. I think I read it in the context of someone thinking about buying a set of Duo's as a way cheaply get two single sided power meters for two bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to read options for pedal power meter left / right power [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we found out that out yesterday, you're right. We'll just be using the % balance for now.
Thanks,
Jim

logella wrote:
Quote:
We'll looking in to the possibility of linking to each pedal separately.

If I'm reading this correctly you're considering trying to link the the right and left pedals separately. I don't think that will work. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the right pedal is a "slave" to the left pedal and does not transmit separately. I think I read it in the context of someone thinking about buying a set of Duo's as a way cheaply get two single sided power meters for two bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:

It's open source so you can probably get it to display that.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to read options for pedal power meter left / right power [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point Robert, thanks!

RChung wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:

It's open source so you can probably get it to display that.
Quote Reply