Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I am once again asking for your "bike fit" support
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

I have, over the course of last off-season and the 2020 "season", refined my position using F.I.S.T. and advice from other threads to arrive at this position:

It feels pretty good, and I can ride several hours in this position. I do get some pain after a while from the saddle, so I'm thinking I might look at other saddles, or perhaps tilt the saddle up or down.

What do you think? Any room for improvement? (Before jimatbeyond asks, its a 165mm crank.)
Last edited by: jacob2727: Oct 15, 20 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: I am one again asking for your "bike fit" support [jacob2727] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your fitter try 150 or 155mm?
Quote Reply
Re: I am one again asking for your "bike fit" support [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During the fit session, I only used the 172.5's that were on it at the time.

Switching from that to 165 didn't change the feel at all for me, but helped quite a bit with the fit.

Should I look into getting a 155 crank?
Quote Reply
Re: I am one again asking for your "bike fit" support [jacob2727] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at getting a smaller crank. Otherwise is there any advice out there? Is this a "no news is good news" situation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did switching to 165mm change your power output?
Quote Reply
Re: I am one again asking for your "bike fit" support [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a fitter, just another ST know it all.

I see tension in your shoulders - I think your biggest improvement would come from relaxing into the cockpit and rolling your pelvis forward. Make sure your hands are relaxed unless the pavement is a danger. This feels better and allows your head position to see up the road and keeps the tail of your helmet from pointing up. When you get it right you can actually lower your head and see better too. The pelvic tilt takes some getting used to, you may find some power loss at first but you can adapt to it after a while. Try using different groups of muscles to see what feels good and gets you down the road.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
How did switching to 165mm change your power output?

Hard to say from a numbers standpoint since I didn't do any FTP testing before/after the switch, but I didn't feel a huge difference in effort, just in fit (which was an improvement.)

Fuller wrote:
I see tension in your shoulders - I think your biggest improvement would come from relaxing into the cockpit and rolling your pelvis forward. Make sure your hands are relaxed unless the pavement is a danger. This feels better and allows your head position to see up the road and keeps the tail of your helmet from pointing up. When you get it right you can actually lower your head and see better too. The pelvic tilt takes some getting used to, you may find some power loss at first but you can adapt to it after a while. Try using different groups of muscles to see what feels good and gets you down the road.

Thats a good tip! I've noticed recently that I can relax my shoulders and back a bit and kind of flatten my back more to make it easier to look down the road. It doesn't feel super "natural" but I think you are right that it will be more comfortable in the long run. I'll work on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What power output did your fitter record when you changed crank arm length?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What power output did your fitter record when you changed crank arm length?

My fitter did not try different crank lengths. He was content to leave me at 172.5mm. He also did not record power data. (There is a reason that I'm going with a DIY approach to bike fit instead of going back to him.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the frame size? I see your saddle is max forward on the seat post and almost max rearward on the rails.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: I am one again asking for your "bike fit" support [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a 2013 Cervelo P2 in size 56.

Quote Reply
Re: I am once again asking for your "bike fit" support [jacob2727] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great. What saddle is that? JOF 55?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: I am once again asking for your "bike fit" support [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you're correct. For rides less than an hour, it's pretty comfortable, but over that, and I start to get quite a bit of pain on the contact area. I'm looking for other saddles right now to spread out the pressure.
Quote Reply
Re: I am once again asking for your "bike fit" support [jacob2727] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try some other options, but make sure your position is identical. That does NOT mean the saddle is placed identically, because you sit differently on different saddles We want your position to remain the same, not the equipment's position.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply