Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? Oct. 12 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Oct. 12 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How was your week Dr TC?

Here: more running, and a more than commensurate amount of eating since it was the Thanksgiving long weekend.

This week: hoping my new fridge FINALLY arrives, more running.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Oct. 12 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey!

Scherezade: ahhhh Canadian Thanksgiving. Hope you enjoyed it.

How are you TC?

We switched to online instruction at my university, which was relatively seemless. We made it about 6 weeks. Seems like a great run to me! They say it's a 2-week pause from in-person instruction, but I'm not buying it. As I'm in a music department, it looks like the kiddos will be able to appeal and likely be granted permission to continue in their performance classes, so we're real happy about that.

That does also mean the pool's closed again. I got one swim in. ONE.

As for fitness, I did everything I was supposed to last week. I'm in a low-volume phase to work on my running form and bank some rest before the big push for the full IM next year (you can store it, right? So, like, next August when I'm doing 10-hr days twice in a row or whatever Ungodly thing is in my future, I can just wave a Fall 2020 rest card and I'll be fine, right? That's how this all works... right?). Anyway, everything right now is fine, and indeed, even just some light cadence work is making me feel WAY lighter on my feet.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Oct. 12 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik

I'm popping in to say "Hello" with no real updates -- our pools are still closed and my already limited OWS options have disappeared, I'm still plodding along with mostly easy run miles, still riding dirt on the weekends, still occasionally doing structured work on the trainer, still doing lots and lots of yoga, still can't say I've missed racing :D

Happy Thanksgiving to my northern neighbors and happy training to all!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Oct. 12 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing okay. Our positivity rate is just under 5% for campus as a whole, but 5.7% for students. This is a much better number than the near-14 percents we had a few weeks in, followed by the near-10 percents. I am feeling more settled. I'm not totally out of the woods - yesterday wasn't great - but I've been a bit less snappy :-)

last week I swam 10k (5 swims I think), ran 40 ish miles (5 runs), and rode 111 miles (2 rides)

goal this week is still mental and physical health first and to keep the bike miles up.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in 2 bike rides over the weekend- about 10 miles each. Not much of anything else, lots of walking on campus, now that we're back on campus 4 days per week.
We had 1 positive student case, but that student was diagnosed prior to our return to campus and had not been on campus as of last week. Our district now has a COVID dashboard listing the number of positive cases at each site, I think it's updated weekly we had the one case last week, but now that case is gone as they are only listing cases in the last 14 days. We have to keep reminding students about the one way hallways and maintaining 6ft of physical distancing, especially during lunch/brunch (it's at 10:30) so we have had to go over the requirements each week in out weekly tutorial class.
New cranks for the new bike are on order, going with 160s from Cobb per the recommendation of my bike fitter.
My regular pool is still closed to master's and lap swim, but they have been relaxing the requirements on the contracted user groups (USA Swimming club team & USA Water Polo club teams), so I'm thinking they may start to be willing to open back up to Master's and lap swim in the near future, but it is a military base, so things are more strict and move very slowly.
Got in a bunch of walking by visiting Downtown Disney on Monday. Bought a bunch of masks, found one's my mom wanted plus some Halloween themed ones, also bought a bunch of food items we hadn't had in a while since some of the food places were closed when I went in July.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Thanksgiving Day to the Canadians!

Quote:
As I'm in a music department, it looks like the kiddos will be able to appeal and likely be granted permission to continue in their performance classes, so we're real happy about that.
BingTri - One of my good friends here is a professor in the classical area at Belmont University and she's also stressing about online v. in-person. They are doing a mix so the students can get the performance classes in. Good luck!

Last week started great - I got back to the pool and the gym and then on Wednesday afternoon, went to my annual dermatologist appointment and he ended up doing a surgical procedure to cut a growth off near my eye. Not the most pleasant thing! Especially when he had to numb the area and then blinking was kind of like in slow motion. I ended up doing very little for 4 days since I looked like I'd been in a street fight with a black eye. Plus, he said no swimming for at least 4 days. Thankfully it was just some form of wart and not anything cancerous. So Sunday I went back to yoga and am now back to it.

They keep changing the pool hours due to lack of staff, so I think I'll prioritize riding the bike, the gym and walking. There is a gravel race on October 31 that I'm thinking about doing. The options are 14, 40 and 70 miles. The 14 would be no problem and I'm wondering if I can ramp up to do the 40 by then. We'll see.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Oct. 12 Edition [TwoDollarSteak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TDS!!!! It's lovely to hear from you and I'm glad you're taking it relatively easy. Enjoy that yoga. Sounds delicious.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply