Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big Kahuna Points Challenge--80 days to go!
Quote | Reply
Moving into the last quarter of the 2020 Big Kahuna full year points challenge. Kerikstri is running away with it at this point. Already above the 20,000 level necessary to become a "Big Kahuna". At this point 7 other people are also on pace to reach that level by year end. An additional 6 are tracking towards Gold status (18,000); 10 towards Silver (15,000); and 7 towards Bronze (12,000).

31 out of 171 "in the money" or about 18%--which is quite a bit higher than past years! We may not be racing but we are sure putting the hours in!

Those on the Big Kahuna "bubble" (includes yours truly) need to suck it up and push the balance of the year. As 'effing Goggins says: "Nobody Cares, Work Harder!"

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Points Challenge--80 days to go! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job getting over 15k so far. After my IM got cancelled I lost motivation for a while. Just synched but only at 9800. I might get lucky and make it to bronze if I kick it into gear.

Thanks for the reminder. Forgot about this challenge.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It hasn't hurt that here in the midwest we have had some of the best weather of the year these past few weeks; plenty of sunshine, little to no rain, low humidity, highs 80, lows 50s or as I like to say California weather :) Unfortunately, this will change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Randy....the day of Kona I started thinking that I could develop sufficient run fitness to do another Ironman again!

I just looked back at the challenge to see where I am. I am basically traiining 2-3 hrs per day with a target of one hrs of swimming per day. The swimming really jacks up the points, but for 4 months I got zero points for all my hard training on rowing machine (each one of those rowing sessions were my hardest sessions of the year relative to other sports). Now with swimming back on the points are accruing but as I am swimming fly, back, breast and kick for 50 -70 percent of my workouts, my points per hour swimming are a lot lower than all freestyle.

But putting points aside with work from home, I am training around 30 min more per day that I don't spend in transit. I am at 730 hrs for the year and on track for a 900 hrs year, which I have not done for 10 years or so if I keep up the routiine. Also with no biz travel, I am probably gaining around 10-15 hrs of training per month not to mention more energy from sleeping better in my own bed than in weird time zones in hotels with jetlag. It all adds up to more training. By end of October I should hit the training totals I normally hit by Dec 31 and I am not even training for anything.

Yesterday the day after Kona "should have been" I was feeling lazy and did not "feel" like going out, but then I thought, "Hey it is 365 days to Kona 2021.....if I want to give myself a shot at qualifying in 55-59, I have to work when the other guys don't feel like it because somewhere in the world, there is a guy in Dresden, or Yokohama, or Austin, or Paris who is working harder than me and he's going to get a slot if I don't outwork for the 364 days before"......sooo I got my ass out there and did 13km including 12x400m repeats at the track....repeats is a lose word at 55-59, but I was doing them in around 100-105 seconds. Not shuffling, but not sprinting.

I hope to see you at Kona 2021, whether as a competitor or a volunteer remains to be seen, but yesterday was day 1 of "working when no one asks you to"....and over 364 days that hopefully adds up. My swim and bike should be quite competitive on the right course....the run, well we'll see.
Quote Reply