Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with?
Quote | Reply
I've decided to see how fast I can make my old trusty B16... and immediately realized that one of the headset bearings is completely rusted away. I pulled the remaining bearing and it seems to be just fine... but it is a weird smaller bearing size, def not a 36x45. Anyone has any idea what size bearing to get? Ideally I'd want something low profile so that I can use my tririg cap that's flush with the top of the head tube.

Felt still sells the replacement but it is the whole set with a useless top cap - I was hoping to be cheap and just get one bearing :)
https://feltbicycles.com/products/headset-b16-spare-parts-bike-spare-part

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have one of those on my trainer. I look at it and wonder how a bike I bought for about $1800 seven years ago would fare if raced. It still looks pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is surprisingly fast. I took mine out for a spin the other day after rescuing it from my dad's storage unit... it has some random crappy wheels, etc... and I was shocked that I had no trouble getting to go 26-28 mph on a flat. Thus the project! A $600 frame with $3k worth of components - how well would it work?

Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Headset bearings are usually marked with their size.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I thought too :)
This one is completely unmarked. Appears to be an FSA bearing by the looks of it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have my spare for the B10 laying around (same frame), here is what’s printed on the bearing:
TH INDUSTRIES 1“ ACB 36*x45* 375# (* is for the little round o for degrees since it’s not on the keyboard)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Cane Creek website for sizing help. And ebay has FSA sets with only upper and lower bearings. I picked up a set for my B14 for around $10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really looking forward to the results of this experiment. I have thought about a winter project where I cobble together a mix of new 105 parts and spares I have laying around. Original drivetrain shows its age, but the frame looks good.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [Kenny Hines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you by any chance remember what was that set listed as on eBay? I measured mine and it has the outer diameter of about 39mm and most bearings I see are 41mm in diameter

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this info! Would you mind measuring the outer diameter of the bearing? Mine seems to be about 39mm which is smaller than anything Cane Creek is currently selling.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at my order history it was a FSA Orbit IS-2 for 1-1/8” steerer tube. Item 362935258224. Not sure how I figured it out but looking at different websites give me the sizes. Again, mine is a 2013 B14 which is a little different frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bearing set by FSA is ~15$ for the cheap steel one. I'd just buy the original Felt kit and stop wondering
Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, after perusing eBay I kinda came to the conclusion :), Order placed.

Anyone wants those hideous caps they include in the kit? Free to a good home!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for delay, OD is 38mm (ID 27,2mm)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt also has a Headset compatibility finder on there website here>>> https://help.feltbicycles.com/...eadset-compatibility

.....which links to the follow PDF>>> https://cdn2.hubspot.net/...lity_Chart%20(5).pdf

From that list, B16 seems to be >>> UPPER + LOWER: 39MM OD x 30.15MM ID, 45°/ 45° ACB
Last edited by: jockhaggis: Oct 12, 20 23:59
Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [jockhaggis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, did not even see it. Yep, these are the exact measurements... replacement headset incoming tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt b16 circa 2013-2014 - headset bearing size to replace with? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So kudos to Felt! They have not sold this model in 6 years, but had the replacement parts in stock and out to me in 3 days. Very cool.

Quote Reply