Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheels mfg pf30 bottom bracket with a screw-in cup - how to remove it without damaging?
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to remove it without destroying the cup? I am worried about banging on it with the Park tool for removing press in BBs, mainly because there are threads inside the cup. Their website seems to show how to press out the bearings but not the cup... any idea?

Thanks!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Oct 11, 20 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels mfg pf30 bottom bracket with a screw-in cup - how to remove it without damaging? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled one out the other day; one side thread out easily. The other side I used a plastic drift (but you could use the butt end of a hammer) to push on the remaining cup from inside the BB shell while using a BB cup tool to rotate the remaining piece. Rotation while pushing on on the bottom bracket seemed to get it out with no drama or damage.

Re: Wheels mfg pf30 bottom bracket with a screw-in cup - how to remove it without damaging? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tap it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I haven't taken one out, my first thoughts would be to unscrew one side until it has two or three threads engaged, then gently tap the loose side to break the other side free.

Then unscrew completely and gently tap the remaining side out.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels mfg pf30 bottom bracket with a screw-in cup - how to remove it without damaging? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would you use to tap it out?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Piece of wood

Punch

Screwdriver

Almost anything
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels mfg pf30 bottom bracket with a screw-in cup - how to remove it without damaging? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Piece of wood

Punch

Screwdriver

Almost anything

Cool. I have a piece of a 2x4 cut down that should fit into the BB opening. Will report back.

Quote Reply