Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Exciting Sub-Sports of Modern Pentathlon
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Modern Pentathlon has been an Olympic sport since 1912. It's an obscure sport, especially in the United States, where it has very little traction. The five disciplines are (1) swimming (200 meters), fencing (epee one-touch bouts), equestrian (horse jumping), running (4 x 800 meters), and shooting (4 x 5 hits at a 10-meter target).

There are also three sub-sports of Modern Pentathlon that are being promoted by UIPM (the international governing body of the sport). They are Biathle (run and swim), Triathle (run, swim, and shoot), and Laser-Run (run and shoot).

Note: since the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, the shooting discipline involves using completely safe and environmentally-friendly laser pistols instead of actual firearms. This was an important change that has made Modern Pentathlon more accessible around the world.

Laser-Run (also referred to as "combined") is the last event in a Modern Pentathlon. Competitors have a staggered start based on points accumulated in the three prior events. Whoever crosses the finish line first in the Laser-Run wins the Modern Pentathlon.

Each of the three sub-sports of Modern Pentathlon has its own World Championships. For example, the 2019 UIPM Biathle / Triathle World Championships were held in St. Petersberg, FL, on October 23-26, 2019. I competed in this event, along with my three kids, and we ended up taking home three of Team USA's 21 medals. I won a Silver Medal in the Mens Masters 40+ Division of the Triathle event despite having almost no experience shooting a laser pistol.

Here's an article about Team USA's medal haul at this event:

https://www.teamusa.org/...-World-Championships

Also, here are some live videos of some of the events that my wife and I recorded on our iPhones:

https://www.youtube.com/...hp1dIoAkm5vggltCELrl

In one of the videos, I captured the start of the Seniors/Juniors Mixed Relay Event, in which Samantha Schultz hands off to Amro Elgeziry. Samantha and Amro have both qualified to represent Team USA at the 2021 Tokyo Games, and they also won the Gold Medal in this event.

As many of you may remember, I used to be a daily participant on this forum. In chasing a KQ, I competed in Ironman Lake Tahoe (the first one), as well as many other Ironman events. I also competed at the 2017 Penticton Aquathlon World Championships.

My new passion now, though, is Modern Pentathlon. Basically what this means is I've traded long days on the bike for horse jumping lessons. I've also started taking fencing and laser pistol shooting lessons. My running and swimming training has remained pretty constant with only a slight change to focus on middle-distances instead of longer, endurance distances. I was a middle distance runner in college, so this change really suits me.

In any case, I highly recommend trying out Modern Pentathlon, including its sub-sports. There are incredible opportunities for fun and excitement in this sport, even for masters athletes. You can read more about my adventures here: https://wolfpackpentathlon.com/
Last edited by: K_Man: Oct 10, 20 16:27
Quote Reply
Re: The Exciting Sub-Sports of Modern Pentathlon [K_Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It certainly does seem interesting, this is the first time I’ve encountered the term modern pentathlon before, though I can quickly see why it’s not very popular...

I have never even touched a horse before, let alone rode one...though that laser shooting looks super fun! It is an odd mashup of sports, fencing is something I have never encountered either

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The Exciting Sub-Sports of Modern Pentathlon [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think it is partly because the sports of fencing and equestrian are so obscure (and perhaps inaccessible) that UIPM has begun to focus on the three sub-sports that do not involve the fencing and equestrian disciplines. The shooting is very easy to learn and is quite fun. Of course, unless you are lucky enough to be able to borrow the equipment, you will have to purchase your own laser pistol and target set (for around $800). But, after that, lessons are currently being offered for FREE by USA Pentathlon (via two Zoom meetings per week), so there is not really any additional overhead associated with learning the shooting discipline.

The racing format of the sub-sports is like the Super Sprint Triathlon format, but even more compelling for spectators and even more fun for participants in my opinion. For Triathle, there are four sequences of running, swimming, and shooting (with distances varying by division), and the whole event can be viewed by a spectator standing in one spot. Check out the videos I posted to get a sense of the excitement at the 2019 Biathle / Triathle World Championships. It was truly an exciting and eye-opening experience for me.
Last edited by: K_Man: Oct 10, 20 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of like next-level triathlon? You swim ride and run. And you shoot stuff. And then you fight with swords. Oh, and when you ride, it's not a bike, it's a horse.

I enjoy watching it on TV once every 4 years but can't even begin to imagine getting into it. Picture my wife's face when I bought pair of Nike 4%, and extrapolate.

"Darling, i bought a new lazer gun- CAREFUL DON'T TOUCH THAT -and this is Sylvester, apparently he likes hay."

Fascinating sport to watch though and sounds like a smart move to open it up with biathle and so on. I had heard of those events but didn't realise the connection to modern pentathlon.

Good luck with it. Do they have an age group system like in triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: The Exciting Sub-Sports of Modern Pentathlon [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got it! I couldn't imagine it either at first, but there was also a time when I couldn't imagine doing an Ironman triathlon. I just wish I would've discovered the sport 20 years ago. I just turned 50 this year, which means I'm one of the oldest competitors competing for an Olympic qualifying spot. ;)

The laser pistol is likely not the thing your significant other would be complaining about. It's the horse jumping lessons. They add up! Luckily, in addition to the separate events for the sub-sports, Modern Pentathlon events typically include a Tetrathlon event (run, swim, shoot, and fence). So you can compete up to the World Championships in Modern Pentathlon without ever getting on a horse.

Also, the age groups provide even more opportunity. There are two-year age groups in the youth divisions (U9, U11, U13, U15, U17, and U19). Then there are Juniors (ages 19 and 20). Seniors is 21+. Then there are masters age groups in 10-year increments starting at 40+. At the 2019 Biathle / Triathle World Championships, there were podiums for males and females in every age group in every event for both individuals and for teams (top three from each country). There are often separate competitions for particular age groups, including a World Championships for masters every two years. The opportunities are enormous.

Interesting story: my daughter competed at one of the most recent U.S. Olympic and World Cup qualification events for Modern Pentathlon. She was 9 years old at the time. She is not yet certified to ride, so she skipped the equestrian event (scoring zero points). But she competed directly against Samantha Schultz, who is one of Team USA's Olympic qualifiers for Tokyo 2021, in all of the other events. There are few other sports where a person could compete in such an event by simply registering.
Last edited by: K_Man: Oct 12, 20 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When someone mentions this sport, I have to think about this movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110805/
It does highlight the sport a bit, so it might not be the worst ever.
Quote Reply
Re: The Exciting Sub-Sports of Modern Pentathlon [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, I’ll check it out!
Quote Reply