Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a Google search for "SRAM Red AXS rear derailleur".

Click on the first result.

Click in Specifications.

It says Max Tooth 33.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Oct 10, 20 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why should they know that specific question off the top of their head? Better to say “I’m not sure” than pretend you do know and give the wrong answer. I’m pretty good with excel as part of my job, but I don’t know what the max number of rows in a spreadsheet is (I used to, but not anymore)

And I’m not really sure how knowing that narrow answer has any bearing on his ability to do the tasks that require a bit of skill and/or experience.

Sure I can answer your questions

(1) it’s a fairly new product and a point of emphasis for the new 1x product as the shirt cage RD’s use up to 33t cassettes
(2) there are really only 2 major manufacturers of components in the US. Sram is one. It’s not like he’ being asked to know something about a bike-brand-specific issue.
(3) of course he shouldn’t pretend or lie. But, better to know then not know. And much better to know where to look for the answer if you don’t know. Like, “ Hey, Shopper, I don’t know off the top off my head, but give me two minutes and I can find you the answer.” Or “I’m tied up right now, but I know where to look and will have the answer to you tomorrow.”
(4) I disagree with the premise that a Mechanic’s value proposition is limited to wrenching. I expect them to be able to offer insight/expertise on how to build a bike with compatible components, what works well/not well etc. I recently had my mechanic do a build and they offered me all sorts of advice on things like disc brake size, valve extender choice, use of grease in certain bike parts, and some issues that were specific to my bike (the proprietary stem and handlebar).

Sure. And if the mechanic knows the answer for 99% of those things, but doesn’t know the answer to this one other thing that rarely comes up (maybe he’s the first person to ask about swapping the cassette to a 10-33). It is and I imagine that most customers who buy it aren’t actually changing the cassette because of the ratios that are specced on most new bikes.

I’m just not seeing this as a fireable offense.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Click in Specifications.

It says Max Tooth 33.

Sure. Now what is cassette ratio on the bike that the OP is ordering?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Click in Specifications.

It says Max Tooth 33.

OP believes that the bike comes with a 28 tooth large cog.

Specialized website says that it comes with a 33 tooth large cog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Click in Specifications.

It says Max Tooth 33.

OP believes that the bike comes with a 28 tooth large cog.

Specialized website says that it comes with a 33 tooth large cog.

Incorrect. Look carefully at which bike the OP said he’s purchasing.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the beginning of this thread I posted a link to this bike:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-shiv-disc---sram-red-etap-axs/p/171300?color=&searchText=97420-0101

OP never came back and said that wasn't the bike.

If the OP is actually getting this bike:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-shiv-tt-disc/p/171304?color=&searchText=97420-0201

then it should come with a 10-28 cassette.

The rear derailleur will handle up to 33, period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He clearly stated which bike he was getting, and the correct ratio on the cassette. You second guessed him and got it wrong. a 30 second google search led me to the correct bike.

Not not did you not know, you also claimed to know despite not actually knowing.

Based on this thread, and the calls for the OP to fire this mechanic, no one should trust you with their bike.

Which I’m sure you’d agree is ridiculous.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never said that the mechanic should be fired.

They should be able to figure out that the rear derailleur can handle a 33 tooth cassette in about 10 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fireable? I’m not saying the mechanic should be lose his job. I’m just saying I’m not gonna be using him anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Fireable? I’m not saying the mechanic should be lose his job. I’m just saying I’m not gonna be using him anymore.

That’s what a firable offense means in this context. You aren’t using his services. Obviously the customer can’t actually fire him from his job. All Based on a tiny snippet of a conversation thats being relayed secondhand.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mechanic will still have his job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I never said that the mechanic should be fired.

They should be able to figure out that the rear derailleur can handle a 33 tooth cassette in about 10 seconds.

I didn’t say that you did say that.

The mechanic /sales guy said he didn’t know. Did the OP ask him to find out? Or did he balk at having to pay extra for the 10-33 cassette. How did the shop guy phrase it? Was it a straight “I don’t know”, or was it “I think it’s fine, but I’m not sure. If you really want it I’ll confirm”.

Conversations are rarely exactly the way they are written out after that he fact. Unless the OP was given incorrect information, it’s simply not a big deal to be unsure unless it’s a critical part of the job. Knowing the max tooth spec on each and every RD off by heart isn’t one of those critical things.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

That’s what a firable offense means in this context. You aren’t using his services. Obviously the customer can’t actually fire him from his job. All Based on a tiny snippet of a conversation thats being relayed secondhand.

Well if that’s your definition of fire able, then, yes, again, my opinion is I’m finding a new Mechanic as this one isn’t offering me the value I believe he should offer. To me, knowing this answer OR the ability to find the answer is a basic competency each mechanic should have. And if he can’t do that, I would be concerned about everything he does on my bike now or in the future.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 11, 20 6:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Knowing the max tooth spec on each and every RD off by heart isn’t one of those critical things."

Knowing how to do a Google search is something that I would expect anyone to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So, can't wait for this thread to get onto if the mechanic should be able to say if disk or rim brakes are best.

Just going out on a limb here, but is there just the slightest chance, deep down, that people are a little bit frustrated at the end of (northern Hemisphere) season and without training to do and having missed out on racing are diverting the energy to slightly silly debates?

Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone determine what the Di2 question was about? Di2 has no compatibility with AXS
FYI, AXS Red is limited to 33 max. If he switches from 28 to 33 he will need a new chain as the chain for the 28 will be too short.
The NEW AXS Force RD can go to 36, but not the Red
You can use an Eagle RD with an AXS group, but that can only use a 50 or 52 cassette (it is not compatible with smaller cassettes) and uses an entirely different chain. The AXS groups require SRAM’s flat top chains

I have AXS with an EagleRD and 10-50 cassette on by gravel/road bike, and AXS with a Red RD and 10-33 on my Tri rig. 48 CR on both. Love them both!
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is the fourth time it's been posted. OP is buying an etap bike. OP doesnt have experience with etap, he does have experience with di2. OP knows a short cage di2 rear derailleur can fit a 28, but cant fit a 33, so he's wondering if sram is similar. When you dont have experience with something, it's common to compare it to something similar you are familiar with. It's not fucking rocket science
Quote Reply
Re: AXS 1X drivetrain cassette compatibility? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP could Google it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(not posting to you specifically Jim, you've just been the last one both times)

Quote Reply

Prev Next