Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blisters/calluses on arches/balls of the feet with Hoka Clifton/Bondi
Quote | Reply
Over a year ago I switched from Nike Pegasus to Hoka Clifton because of tightness in calves/achilles (can't do 0 drop shoes). I love Nike, they fit me great, shoes look awesome, they make me feel like I run like Jan Frodeno. But I have weak achilles and had constant tightness in the calves, despite stretching, foam rolling, massages, etc. When I switched to Hoka it was almost like an overnight fix. No more pain in the calves and I could stick to 30 miles a week (peak at 40 when training for marathon) no problem. Never had an injury on Hoka either. I'm 5'10 and 150lbs. Running background.

The problem: I started having blisters and calluses on my arches and balls of booth feet 6 months ago. Blood blisters. It's so annoying that I'm not sure what to do. I've had those for months now but now the callusses are pretty thick and really hurt. I've done vaseline, pumice stone, "healthy feet" creams.

I've had these issues on Clifton 6 and Bondi 7.
Any recommendations?

What I'm thinking:
- get a new pair of "maximalist" shoes (which ones?)
- or find a new magic cream / anti blister/calluses cream?
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters/calluses on arches/balls of the feet with Hoka Clifton/Bondi [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem a few years ago with clifton 5's: quit them after 2 runs (18 miles total); couldn't believe someone actually run with those pieces of junk (try google "hoka clifton blisters"...) Switched to Brooks Glycerins and never looked back
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Oct 8, 20 23:30
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters/calluses on arches/balls of the feet with Hoka Clifton/Bondi [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blisters are probably caused by the friction of something rubbing. It sounds like the part of the shoe that is in contact where you get blisters would be the insole. But for some people it would be the upper if the blisters are towards the sides of your feet.

If you think it's the insole then have you got an insole from another shoe that fits and you can try? Or maybe look for a third party insole you can buy? I'd also pull them out and give them a good inspection, it's not impossible there is something wrong. You could get a fold at one edge, for example, and something as simple as trimming it might help. But I think that is less likely if you've had the problem with a few models.

If it's not the insole, and the blisters are where the upper rubs, then it's probably down to fit. Maybe you need wide shoes or the size up.

If they solve your running problems otherwise then it seems like it's worth trying to figure out the specific cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Blisters/calluses on arches/balls of the feet with Hoka Clifton/Bondi [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
I had the same problem a few years ago with clifton 5's: quit them after 2 runs (18 miles total); couldn't believe someone actually run with those pieces of junk (try google "hoka clifton blisters"...) Switched to Brooks Glycerins and never looked back

I just checked Google. So funny. Never thought about it. Glad to see I'm not the only one! The brooks glycerins look as bad as the hoka :)
Last edited by: tamiii: Oct 9, 20 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought on possible cause - I believe the footbed in the Clifton/Bondi is recessed slightly. Your foot and insole rest inside it rather than just on top like other shoes. Is it possible that this is causing the rubbing? I do my long runs in Clifton 6 (wide) and have been having some intermittent issues with it being recessed on what I think is the capsule of the pinky toe on my left foot. Oddly enough my left foot isn't as wide as my right so I think it moves around a bit more. Once in awhile a few hours after running it will swell up (once it even turned black and blue). I now rotate my shoes a bit more and only wear the Clifton's once or twice a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What oddslug said!
Put the insole of a Nike free in the Clayton and that worked fine.

-shoki
Quote Reply