Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hawai'i 70.3 - where to stay with NON-racing family/friends along
Quote | Reply
Hawai'i 70.3, 2021 next June. There will be 2 families of 4, and we're looking at VBRO so we have a kitchen. This is the same couple that went with us to Cozumel, and we stayed at El Contil, which was walking distance for everything, plus right at the finish line. It was pretty clear by the end that I was the only one that gave a damn about "Ironman" and they wanted to go do vacation stuff. The race is just my thing, and this time we'll have 4 college kids and I don't want everyone locked into what's best for just me.
I've never been to the Kona area, so need some suggestions on locations. If I have to drive up race morning for a while, but the rest of the week is awesome for everyone, that's a perfectly fine compromise.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Hawai'i 70.3 - where to stay with NON-racing family/friends along [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to some space and nice grounds around the condo I really like two options. Our family really liked the Club Wyndham Mauna Loa Village. You are down by the Sheraton so you can catch boat trips and rent a kayak out of Keauhou Bay. Watch the Manta Rays and sip a cocktail at the Seraton. Brain dead college kids can jump of the cliff at the end of the earth. You are close to the supermarket but out of the rat race. Honestly, I think this is the prettiest part of the Kona coast line, which is why all the older fancy resorts were down there.

The other place we like is the Kona Coast resort. The older buildings in the original part of the development just have a nice vibe. You are on the golf course so it is pretty quiet. You can walk down to the state park park and there is some nice snorkeling for anyone who isn't a great swimmer.

Both of these choices are south of Kona. All the big new resorts and fancy golf courses are up north of the airport. We stayed at one once and they are fancy, but I would rather gouge my eye out with a blunt stick than stay at one of those again. The lava fields are not my idea of a relaxing resort environment, so everything is a man made pseudo-paradise,... with shopping at nearby chain stores. When I was there all I could think of was that you could build an almost identical environment in the middle of Kansas (uncomfortably hot, humid and windy, but with a pool and a bar serving $15 margaritas). Some people like this stuff and you wont find anything like that down around Keauhou Bay.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawai'i 70.3 - where to stay with NON-racing family/friends along [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to stay at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay hotel. It is a dump, but it is right across the street from the Kona Inn restaurant, which has the best mai tais and great fish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we stayed at the Kona Makai condos. They were a great location, had a nice pool, outdoor grills etc. Short way into town or Pahoehoe Beach Park the other way.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember the 70.3 is not in Kona, itā€™s in Waimea. Itā€™s 30 miles from Kona and a 40-45 minute drive. If you stayed in south Kona as someone suggested youā€™re looking at about an hour drive to the 70.3 venue.

I know you are looking at VRBO options but the newer and nicer hotels on the Kona side of the island are all in the Waimea/Waikoloa area and not in Kona. There are a lot of condos near there in Mauna Lani so getting a rental is probably easy in normal times but the COVID situation, which will still be with us to some degree in June, is causing havoc with VRBO rentals.

I was going to do the race this year. I was going to stay at the Fairmont Orchid the days around the race, then moving to Kona for a couple of days before heading over to Maui. The Fairmont is basically the host hotel and itā€™s really, really nice but really, really expensive (my room was $700/night). It canā€™t be beat for race day logistics though.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Oct 9, 20 3:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Kona last year, I stayed at a VRBO about 10 minutes directly east of the airport (just up the volcano a bit). It was just in a residential neighbourhood and you had to drive to beaches/restaurants/etc., but it was really quiet and had incredible views of the ocean. It also had a number of patios, a backyard with fruit trees, and a hot tub. If I were to race in Kona again I would definitely stay there again, I really liked being away from the ironman action a bit.

Based on where it sounds like the 70.3 start is, you'd be a bit closer to the race compared to staying in downtown Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Others have already mentioned the venue location relative to Kona. It is also worth noting that Honu 70.3 is a split transition event. Only T2 and the run are at Mauna Lani Resort area. The swim and T1 are at Hapuna. So the race will require a trip to Mauna Lani for registration. Then depending on how you handle things, you have to turn in run gear at resort and then the afternoon before the race you have to drop your bike off at Hapuna in T1.

On race morning it is difficult to get to Hapuna without using the athlete shuttles from Mauna Lani Resort event parking.

For ease you may want to consider staying in the Mauna Lani Resort area or at Waikoloa Beach Resort or Waikoloa Village. There are also developments further up the coast or up towards Waimea. The selection is more limited but Paulo sits between Mauna Lani Resort and Hapuna. The end of Pauko Road links to Mauna Lani along the coast and is also linked to Hapuna by the old access road too. If you want Kona you can relocate there after the race.
Last edited by: SummitAK: Oct 9, 20 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: Hawai'i 70.3 - where to stay with NON-racing family/friends along [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All very helpful. Thanks. I really don't want to spend the first few days driving back and forth. I was thinking of getting a room at the Westin the night before, and let everyone else be where they like. I certainly understand pre-race logistics. No fun to be shuttling around for bag drops etc.
Daughter wants to snorkel, and lay by the water (probably with Instagram....). We all would like to be walking distance to the beach. We'd like a house with a pool. Being from California, the idea of driving 15-20 min to dinner is no big deal.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed at this Condo for the 2015 Honu, worked out perfectly. It's in the same area as the Orchid so it was easy to ride to registration, bag drop, and expo. Morning of the race it was a short walk to the shuttles to Hapuna Beach, didn't have to wake up family to just drop me off (there's limited parking to stay for the swim start since the transition area takes the whole lot). Looks like the run course has changed, but it used to go on the path right outside the balcony so was able to wave to my family as I passed by, then they hopped on a shuttle to the Orchid for the finish line. Day after the race my sister-in-law and her family came and got a condo in the same area. It's modest compared to other properties but we try to spend most our vacation time out doing things and this was a great spot to launch from. Liked it so much we came back a couple years later (not race related). Good luck!

https://www.vrbo.com/1712024?noDates=true&unitId=2273509
Quote Reply
Re: Hawai'i 70.3 - where to stay with NON-racing family/friends along [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
It is also worth noting that Hindu 70.3 is a split transition event.

I didnā€™t know they had an Ironman 70.3 in India. The swim in the Ganges must be gross. šŸ˜

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Hawai'i 70.3 - where to stay with NON-racing family/friends along [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

I didnā€™t know they had an Ironman 70.3 in India. The swim in the Ganges must be gross. šŸ˜

Lol. Fucking iOS...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
SummitAK wrote:

Lol. Fucking iOS...

That's awesome.
I'm good on the split. I'm in the Vineman/Santa Rosa area so I've done that gig a bunch of times. Plus, my buddy is an awesome race sherpa/wingman. At Coz, they had my bike safely back in the condo before my run was half over. Plus, he is an annoying early riser and has always driven me to starts with coffee in hand. He's good people. That's why I want the rest of the week to be in a spot THEY will enjoy too. I'm thinking around Waialea Beach makes pretty solid sense for everyone.
Quote Reply