Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Cozumel - traveling with a bike via United to Coz.
Quote | Reply
Just signed up for Ironman Cozumel and booked my flight via United. Thereā€™s a layover in Houston, and then straight to Coz. This was about the same price as straight to Cancun, so a no brainer. I figured this way I could avoid the bus and ferry from Cancun, which Iā€™ve heard can be pretty annoying with a big bike case.

The kicker - a friend just told me that Cozumel has oversized baggage restrictions in place during this time period (starting Nov 15). I canā€™t find any information about it besides the link below. It seems wild to me that the island would impose what is essentially a ā€˜no flying to our island with bikesā€™ policy while hosting an Ironman.
https://www.united.com/...baggage/embargo.html

Has anyone flown directly to Cozumel with a SciCon case during this period? Does Cozumel just expect everyone to fly directly to Cancun first? Or do you think these are loose guidelines and your just go for it, and if you get screwed at the airport just change flight last minute to Cancun + shuttle + ferry

Thanks!
Last edited by: TriSki20: Oct 7, 20 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel - traveling with a bike via United to Coz. [TriSki20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worth a phone call, I would think.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel - traveling with a bike via United to Coz. [TriSki20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not in my experience. We currently go through CUN now from the west coast as it's a shorter overall trip. But I've flown in numerous times race weekend direct to Coz and there are always bike cases coming off the plane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I have not been traveling anywhere this year due to the Pandemic, I've not really been paying much attention to this, but is United still the last hold-out of the U.S. carriers charging super high Bike Fees?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just back from the 70.3 (got out just in time with Huricano Delta rolling in). The Cancun--Bus-Ferry works swimmingly and would recommend that route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race a few times now and have experience traveling with and without the bike. I know this isnt exactly the answer to your question, but I can't recommend tribiketransport enough for this race (especially for those doing the Cancun route-- huge pain via bus, ferry, etc). Last year I flew directly to Cozumel with my bike (Bos-Miami-Coz ) and there were no oversized baggage restrictions (expect to wait a long time at the airport for your bike/immigration card). This year, I plan to use tribike transport--Id rather not deal with the hassle of finding a van, plane anxiety with the connection, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IM COZ in 2108, flew LAX-Houston-COZ. Flew with a big bike suitcase. The websites all said restrictions, but in the end after talking to the agents, they just imposed a $200 surcharge. When I go back, I will do the Tribiketransport thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve only been to COZ once in 2018 on a vacation without a bike, but have a flight like you on United for the race (return on American). Only a call will give a an answer, but couple of problems with that are getting through to someone, and of course that person wonā€™t be checking you in. As far as I can tell, the United site defines oversized as 115 inches, as opposed to the 62 inches specific for a bike case beyond which you will pay their ā€œservice feeā€ in addition to the $150 for the bike regardless. Iā€™ve given up finding on their website how much the service fee is. United is the last US airline to charge so much for a bike. The travel date was best for me or I would not have booked with them. I will try to call United tomorrow and check back if I get through. My flights and hotel are all changeable/refundable, training but holding off on registration fee......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have flown directly to Cozumel for the Ironman in 2015? and 2018. I think we flew American, but had no issue with the oversize bag policy. Wife and I both had bikes both times. It's possible they have changed the policy since then, but I would think an exception might be made for race week. But I guess a call or email for clarification might be worth a try. I thought flying direct was a lot easier than the bus/ferry scenario. I would highly recommend making sure you remove all CO2 cartridges from your bags and bike. My wife forgot to take hers off of her bike, and they were not happy about that. Several people were pulled aside for the same reason, and a written record was made for each person. Now she will probably be flagged every time we go down there (may have to leave her at the border :) )
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel - traveling with a bike via United to Coz. [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, super helpful. Appreciate flagging that United's fee is still an outrageous $200. I'm going to use TriBikeTransport for the first time to avoid the hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cozumel - traveling with a bike via United to Coz. [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
I did IM COZ in 2108

Pretty impressive. So the bike fits in the Delorean?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate you for posting this! I had no idea. Just spent a painful hour on hold and speaking with three United reps regards their ā€œembargo policyā€ page. Long story short - you cannot bring a bike on their planes to Cozumel starting November 15th for any fee (assuming the bike case is over the 62 linear inches, which all cases are I think). Regards their crazy fees if you could bring a bike, the rep said you would pay $235 ($35 for checked bag fee) for any bike case over 62 linear inches and an additional $100 if over 50 pounds. I have my return flight on American, looking into Cancun + ferry or the tri bike transport. Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used tri bike both times. Flawless

Btw this embargo is every year. I believe they impose it to prevent large shipments of clothes etc to certain countries around the holidays but just a guess
Quote Reply