Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Super six goes sub 7!
Quote | Reply
I wasnt expecting a disc brake bike to be the first to break 7 hours, but there you go...

https://www.bicycling.com/...everesting-record/#:~:text=Sean%20Gardner%2C%20a%2026%2Dyear,in%20less%20than%20seven%20hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Super six goes sub 7! [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, as much as I am against discs in triathlon, I am not too surprised about it being the everesting choice given the speed you can comfortably maintain on descents and braking at the very last second for the turn-around. It seems we have accelerated the record so fat that marginal gains will intrude in a big way, soon we will know what the absolute ideal gradient is.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Super six goes sub 7! [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We may start to see a LOT more optimization. One pro had food/drink handups each lap (so no bottles/cages). Many of the guys still ride with helmets/shoes that are 100s of grams heavier than readily available options like the Prevail and the Giro Prolight shoes...possibly due to sponsor obligations. Jerseys also add 100s of grams (when wet). We might even see bikes with disc front brakes and ultralight rear rim brakes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil Gaimon interviewed him and it's posted on YouTube. He basically said he rode what he had because that's what he can afford but that disc brakes were 'needed' since there was a slight 'turn' on this segment and just to bomb the downhill.

As for the marginal gains--he was kind of funny-couldn't afford to cut bars BUT did take off one bottle cage....

An aside--great to have a Virginia guy do it on a Virginia road!!! Definitely some climbers from these parts but I didn't expect to see the world record and first sub-7 be here!
Quote Reply
Re: Super six goes sub 7! [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It said he ate 850grams of sugar to offset the ridiculous calorie consumption... Dont let durian rider hear that

At first I thought youd lose some time with each hairpin at the bottom. He ride a 1km hill with 50 hairpins instead of 2km with 25. Apart from shorter intervals, is it possible actually gain speed with more hairpins if you can take them fast enough?

Also he did 50x1km =50km downhill. In theory with a 50km climb, he would save 50km of descending time but no rests. You only save the last descent so on a 2km hill you save 2km of descending. Pretty interesting to see if the sweetspot stays around 1km efforts or if a pro tour rider finds a 10km climb to do five times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

Also he did 50x1km =50km downhill. In theory with a 50km climb, he would save 50km of descending time but no rests. You only save the last descent so on a 2km hill you save 2km of descending. Pretty interesting to see if the sweetspot stays around 1km efforts or if a pro tour rider finds a 10km climb to do five times

My understanding is that you do not save any descents. You have to come back down after the last climb.
Quote Reply
Re: Super six goes sub 7! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that for sure? under the rules/single climb - it says that you can abandon the last lap as soon as you reach 8848m? https://everesting.cc/the-rules/

If thats the case, you want to reach 8848m at the top of a climb. The descent saving over a 1km climb = (climb length minus 1 km).

How fast can they come out of a turn? Is it possible for pros to come out of a 180 turn faster than avg ascent speed? Its probably not 50 catapult turn lead outs

Quote Reply
Re: Super six goes sub 7! [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also said he was out of the saddle for a large majority of all climbing, which I thought was extremely interesting.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Super six goes sub 7! [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, which pros ride Stair Master style these days?
Quote Reply