Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road shoes for long course?
Quote | Reply
I got a nice pair of high end Giro road shoes. I see a lot of athletes using them these days over tri shoes. What's the secret to getting into them easily when they are already clipped into the pedals and your mounting the bike coming out of T1?
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the model you can remove the laces, replace them by elastic ones, and/or cut away the tongue to make them a little more roomy.

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcbesse wrote:
Depending on the model you can remove the laces, replace them by elastic ones, and/or cut away the tongue to make them a little more roomy.

This.

The aero is great and elastic laces are fine as long as you're not going to sprint or get out of the saddle up a climb like a Tour de France climber trying to crack the lead group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For two years I used my Sidi Wire road shoes for triathlon.
I put them on in transition and didn't find I lost much.
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

This. You're riding for ~5hrs. Even if it costs you 15s in transition, that's pretty minimal in the grand scheme

Cleats do get a bit banged up from running in them though
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

This. You're riding for ~5hrs. Even if it costs you 15s in transition, that's pretty minimal in the grand scheme

Speedplay walkable cleats. Not an issue!
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all, this is my first post on ST but I thought I’d add that in one of my first sprint races I was wearing speed play cleats and ran on grass from transition to the mount line, in that time I ended up with a small stick stuck in the cleat and was barely able to clip into my pedal. I switched to keos soon there after when I got my assiomas.
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [TrainBrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrainBrain wrote:
Hi all, this is my first post on ST but I thought I’d add that in one of my first sprint races I was wearing speed play cleats and ran on grass from transition to the mount line, in that time I ended up with a small stick stuck in the cleat and was barely able to clip into my pedal. I switched to keos soon there after when I got my assiomas.

Speedplay cleats clog fairly easily. For muddy T1s I usually carry the cleats past the mount line then put them on at roadside. You can run faster barefoot anyway.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Maybe you know the OP but he/she could be doing sprint races and is on the bike for 30 min
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta get Speedplay Zero Pave.
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The title of this post is literally “Road shoes for long course?”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two hangups are typically the tongue getting pushed forward as you insert your foot (I've actually removed the tongue from my lace-up, flying mount shoes....viability depends on your closure system), and getting your heel to slide in (bodyglide on the heel counter helps).

Practice is key, but (as I found out race day) getting into the shoes with dry socks on is very different than with wet feet. Practice barefoot.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep it is...zoomed right by me (literally)
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [TrainBrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either run barefoot and put your shoes on right before you get on the bike which only takes seconds or put the caps on your cleats....assuming you have the walkable cleats.......and pop them off before you clip in. You can keep the caps in a pocket or toss them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
I got a nice pair of high end Giro road shoes. I see a lot of athletes using them these days over tri shoes. What's the secret to getting into them easily when they are already clipped into the pedals and your mounting the bike coming out of T1?

Most athletes should be using them for the aerodynamics first. But yes, I got this trend going many moons ago when I wrote and wind tested Giro SLX with elastic laces. Of course elastic is no more secure than other closure mechanism, but definitely allows for very quick entry and exit. When I developed this idea for myself, although, I did later find out that a few pros way back in the day used elastic as well. Regardless It was a benefit to me as in pro races the first 3-5 minutes of the bike and transition is a gong show, and anytime saved means you are missing a surge or two which helps for the rest of the race.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a long course I wouldn't worry too much about the time lost if they are that much more comfortable than tri shoes...

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [Patterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patterson wrote:
If it's a long course I wouldn't worry too much about the time lost if they are that much more comfortable than tri shoes...
This...you’d want your feet to be okay when you need to run. Also, as for putting shoes on that are already clipped, i Think it takes some practice to be actually faster than just putting your shoes on. When that’s said, no matter the surface, I Can’t run barefoot, so the time it takes to close 4 boa dials is time Well spend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, your username is RAD! I’d say all these ideas are good you just need to find which one works best and saves you the most time. You can get cleat covers for look style cleats which help with running but then I guess you need to carry them or toss them.
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes for long course? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
jcbesse wrote:

This.

The aero is great and elastic laces are fine as long as you're not going to sprint or get out of the saddle up a climb like a Tour de France climber trying to crack the lead group.

Wow, you just opened my world up to new possibilities. I had assumed that elastic laces on bike shoes would compromise power but reading this and other posts, and the fact that I never actually researched that idea... makes me realize I should do the same. Currently, I use boas and I feel it takes me some time to tighten them to where I like them to be, while that doesn't matter much in an IM, it matters in a 70.3. Especially the two 70.3s last year that I could have been one place higher by saving 5 seconds!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply