Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did the Augusta bike course change?
Quote | Reply
I was reviewing bike times for the Augusta 70.3 and noticed a steep drop in pro times going from 2016 and prior to 2017 and after. Did the course change or did much better athletes with really slick bikes and wheels start showing up for the race? Prior to 2016 a lot of approximately 2:10-2:15 bike times but after many sub 2:03-2:10 bike times. 2016 and 2015 seemed to have slow run times so conditions may have been a factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Did the Augusta bike course change? [honestly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the course changed. In 2017, it was split between GA and SC and had around 1,400' of elevation.In 2018 it headed south and was all in GA with about 1,600' in elevation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As above poster said,it changed in 2018 to an all Georgia route. Then it changed again last year due to participant complaints regarding so many railroad crossings on the 2018 route.

2018 and 2019 were scorchers, so I’m guessing faster riders showed up as conditions were really brutal.
Quote Reply
Re: Did the Augusta bike course change? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is pretty amazing for such scorching fast times on scorching race days especially for a rolling course. The improvements in bikes, wheels, tires, and fitting must have something to do with this. I wonder how long before someone cracks 2 hours at this race (maybe Starky could do it now).
Last edited by: honestly: Oct 3, 20 20:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honestly wrote:
It is pretty amazing for such scorching fast times on scorching race days especially for a rolling course. The improvements in bikes, wheels, tires, and fitting must have something to do with this. I wonder how long before someone cracks 2 hours at this race (maybe Starky could do it now).

Despite the rolling hills, the current course is actually really fast. Pretty much good pavement throughout, plus very few turns (and only one 180 degree turnaround) so lots of time to be able to put your head down and get into aero. Also, you generally carry a lot of speed into the hills which helps get over them faster. I've found that the heat helps you ride faster too due to lower air density and less drag, which helps on a course where strong riders spend a LOT of time going 25mph+.
Quote Reply