Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strained calf - Can I bike?
Quote | Reply
So I have been sidelined with a strained calf. I believe it’s a grade 2. I thought it was grade 1, but it’s been just under 3 weeks and still has pain if I try to run. I have ridden on it a few times and there doesn’t seem to be any pain, but am I delaying the process by doing that?
Quote Reply
Re: Strained calf - Can I bike? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask your doctor or PT. But, usually the answer is, "if it doesn't hurt, it's ok, but go easy."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful with that injury, you can get set back. I'd work with a pt, maybe use cycling on trainer if they say it's ok, but mostly focus on getting movements like calf raise and jumping back through a progressive approach. It's a nasty injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The calf (knee down to heel) is built ~like a 6 string guitar, in that there are multiple lines of muscle/tendon that connect through to the Achilles. Depending on what you are doing too much of :), you can wind those strings way up too tight, then there's hell to pay. So the key is to rehab & loosen off the wound-p strings, and get the inflammation to leave the area. & strengthen, which I believe can only be done with functional movement or gym work.

Cycling is more of static loading, and winds or tightens things up. Therefore imo cycling moves your calf system in the wrong direction.
I was too-much slalom waterskiing this summer and got my left leg wound right up. Caused an Achilles issue running. They I ripped it all apart in a deepwater start. That was early August.

I'm still limping! But I kept cycling & hiking etc. not wanting to miss out on summer.

The offending tissue in my case is so deep, and down the middle of the calf, not on the outside layers. I had needling done and ultrasound. Also been digging at it with a drumstick, gun and rolling.

Since I stopped cycling it's getting much better. I was out on a very slow shuffle-run today.

Walking or running causes inflammation to my Achilles, but it comes back stronger.
Cycling does the same but I am worse off. This is like 30km per day, 15km of it hills.

My right leg had an issue, Achilles mid, a few years ago. Once the inflammation left and it healed up, it's been A++. That all took 1.5 years tho.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have history of calf strains. My pt always said once it does not hurt when you jump up 20 times on one leg and not hurt from walking, then take one more week off and then can start running. He said that extra week is important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you can bike. I have had strained calf injuries multiple times over 30 years and have always biked. As long as it does not hurt you will speed up the recovery. And you don’t need a doctor or PT for something as mild as a strained calf unless it takes more than 3-4 weeks to recover.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Strained calf - Can I bike? [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m currently at week 5 today and I pretty much haven’t tested it since week 3 until today. Tried to ride on the trainer and I was feeling some tightness/light pain 12 minutes in. May go see a sports med now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed off the bike for the past couple of weeks. Just did some maintenance - changed my E-tap batteries, pumped the tires,etc. went around the block once or twice.

My leg in the meantime responded well. I even went for a 10km run/ then walk this week. (inflammation at the end of it - to be expected).
Played tennis yesterday & took it easy, but that is good therapy because of the complex movement.

I can do heel raises and drops now where as since July! could not (left leg).

I had a Soleus tear in my right leg 4 yrs ago, and it is quite different to what I have now.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply