Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fat bike power meter?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a fat bike with a power meter? I have Stages on my other bikes, but finding a solution for the fat bike is a little trickier. Just curious what what options people have done.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat bike power meter? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do and have friends who do as well.

I have SRAM cranks and move my p2M over some years but usually prefer not to for fun reasons. 3 of my friends use cannondale stages arms on RaceFace spindles. Matt McCulley (aka Beanpolematt) set them up and I'm pretty sure he'd be able to tell you the what/how part of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat bike power meter? [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - nice to see about the Cannondale stages and RaceFace (I assume cinch 30mm), as I don't need the carbon Stages crank for this. I had briefly started looking into quarq/p2m.

Mostly I wish/wonder if Shimano would come out with a fat bike spindle, since I am pretty happy with them for road, gravel and MTB cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Power2max on Sram cranks on my fat bike, prior to that I had an SRM on the same crank arms. Power2max has been better since I can change the battery myself, but both work perfectly for fat biking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an XX1 Quarq 8 bolt fat bike crank for GXP bottom brackets. I saw a 5" one for 190/197 rear ends last year at the Madison, WI Brazen Dropouts swap meet. Somewhat kicking myself for not buying it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat bike power meter? [wetpaint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I will look a bit more at this if I end up wanting to do this. Will be funny if this more "fun" bike ends up with better power meter than my "fast" bikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you be opposed to something pedal based?
Quote Reply
Re: Fat bike power meter? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Would you be opposed to something pedal based?
+1

I got a dual sided P1 set so all my bikes can have power, and switching takes less than 2 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat bike power meter? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No* as long as the pedals are SPD compatible. I know there is a "Favero/Xpedo" hack, and I would be open to that. Are there other options?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Power2Max NGeco on RaceFace cranks on my fatty. If I had to do it over, I would get one of the cheap Chinese Sigeyi AXO power meters and save myself $250. Their RaceFace 104bcd model is anywhere from $300-320 on Aliexpress depending on sales and coupons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like power2max might be the best bet outside of stages.

The hang up is you’d need to run a 32 tooth ring or bigger, which is a lot of gear fer a fatty.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRM has some coming out, https://www.ridesrm.com/x-power. They don't seem to be available yet and no indication that I've seen as to when they might be. $1199 is a little more than I was hoping to pay though too.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat bike power meter? [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was keen on these about a year ago before I was able to put Stages on the GRX - so it's too bad they are still not available. They do look pretty nice though.
Quote Reply