Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question
Quote | Reply
Apologies if this has been answered before but...

If I use the Silca tire pressure calculator, the tire pressure I need to run for optimum rolling resistance is much lower than what would historically be recommended. E.g. If I use 25mm tires, then measurement is more like 28mm wide when inflated. Based on a truely accurate weight of rider and gear (bike, bike shoes, helmet, drink bottles etc etc), then the recommended PSI for my scenario is in the low 70s. So my question is, when the PSI is run so low, do the benefits of latex inner tubes still hold up? Or is it reduced as the tire pressure is reduced so low?
Last edited by: RizzaNZ: Oct 2, 20 0:18
Quote Reply
Re: Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question [RizzaNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question [RizzaNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RizzaNZ wrote:
do the benefits of latex inner tubes still hold up? Or is it reduced as the tire pressure is reduced so low?
If anything, latex tubes should be more beneficial at low pressures than high. Since the tire deforms more, the low hysteresis should offer a larger power benefit. And although it's perhaps anecdotal, their apparent superior resilience to pinch flats would also be more important at lower pressures where the tire is more prone to pinching.
Quote Reply
Re: Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok got it. Makes sense. Would love to see some testing data if anyone has seen reporting on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bicycle Rolling resistance has some good latex vs butyl testing where they show latex to be faster at all pressures.. and of course, their testing does not take impedance effects into account. Latex becomes even more beneficial when you model for impedance as it significantly reduces damping in the tire, so the tire is more responsive to all sizes of bump inputs.

If you choose to run below our calculator optimal points in search of greater comfort (as many do), you will get even further benefits from latex as rolling resistance increases due to increased tire deflection come at a lower rate with latex compared to butyl.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic -thanks for that. FYI - great site. Very eye opening.

I think I'll be upgrading to get a better pump like a Silca now I better understand the pressure importance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RizzaNZ wrote:
Fantastic -thanks for that. FYI - great site. Very eye opening.

I think I'll be upgrading to get a better pump like a Silca now I better understand the pressure importance.
That's what I did once I started caring about pressure. Figured there was no point in knowing the pressure if I was +-5psi with a standard pump. I own a Viaggio now and aside from occasional frustrations with the bluetooth, it's great. Would have gone with a standard floor pump but I figure I'm traveling enough for races I could make compromises for the form factor.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks RizzaNZ and realbdeal, that's what we like to hear ;-)
Hopefully we are all back to traveling and racing soon so we can put our cool kit to use again!
Best
Josh

Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
Quote Reply
Re: Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 Silca pumps, one the Super Pista with Hiro adapter and the other the standard tattico. Both are wonderful pumps but the one short fall is the gauge on the Super Pista is only graduated at 2 psi. I wish that Silca made a digital adapter for these so that all you do is add it in line with the valve adapter and it would send the signal to the phone app, would be a really nice add on for these fabulous pumps (yes I know the tattico digital exists) but unfortunately the plain one I own can not be upgraded. Or for the Ultimate they provided a digital option for the gauge replacement?
Quote Reply
Re: Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can upgrade your gauge very easily. Check Grainger. I got a 2% accurate gauge for around $20. I opted for one that went to a lower max pressure which afforded a more readable graduation for my older eyes.

Note: I think you only get 2% accuracy for the middle 80% of the scale

Cheers Don
Quote Reply
Re: Silca tire pressure calculator and latex inner tube question [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we've actually tried all of this and never commercialized it for various reasons.. on the digital front, the gauge needs to be thermally isolated or the heat will cause the accuracy to drift and ultimately kill the electronics.. and the more accurate the gauge, the more prone it is to these issues. It is not uncommon for a 1% accuracy gauge capable of handling temperature to cost $700 or more. We found that the life expectancy of a high precision digital gauge in a SP Ultimate or SuperPista was about a year.. by moving it to the top of the pump in the SuperPista digital, and adding cooling fins inside the main tube we are able to limit temperature at the gauge to ~100F even in high pressure use.

As for lower range gauges, the challenge comes when the user wants to get near the limit of the gauge. The way the presta valve works, the pressure in the line has to overcome tire pressure plus valve stiction which is why you see the needle spike with each stroke. So if we had a gauge that went to 80, you would be fine if you never passed 60, but the accuracy quickly diminishes (and the gauge is damaged) as you get close to 75 or 80psi as the transient pressure spikes can be over 100psi per stroke as you get close to 80psi. Again, we found in testing that the temptation to go to or slightly over the max pressure occasionally was too great and our test riders almost all saw notable gauge drift in 12 months of use when testing 80 and 100psi max gauges.

We are currently working on a commercial version of 'The Truth' which has been used in the pro peloton for almost a decade now.. it won't be cheap and the challenge has been getting it from its $600+ price tag down to something more affordable and manufacturable without sacrificing features or durability.. stay tuned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Josh, I was thinking as well of something that went on the end of the hose next to the valve adapter but I tried it and saw the problem of over pressure as well. I thought maybe it was just a poor design by me, nice to hear that it is a real problem. What you say makes sense. What is the % tolerance/ accuracy on the standard 160 psi gauge on the SP?
Quote Reply