Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: wax removal from cassette? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Its not like there's going to be a ton of wax on it. You don't wax the cassette.

You'd be surprised...
When I was a shop wrench, we'd get bikes coming in that had cassettes that looked like a wax cone with metal teeth sticking out. For jobs like that, our method was to put the cassette in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: wax removal from cassette? [MadisonMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is simple chemistry 101.
Vegetable oil, the most common lipophilic matter, is safer and easily accessible compared to the other wax dissolving solvents like toluene and xylene. Trust me. Some people use it to remove wax spilt over stone and wood flooring

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Oct 4, 20 4:26
Quote Reply
Re: wax removal from cassette? [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot water works.
Quote Reply
Re: wax removal from cassette? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well only thing I learned here is no one here has much of a chemistry background. Did someone really suggest toluene and xylene? Or using hot oil? What...might as well say benzene or oxalic acid if we’re being ridiculous. It’s just wax man...

Just boil it in water, wax will melt off

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Oct 4, 20 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: wax removal from cassette? [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to my personal experience, Hot-water-methodologist are going to find a way to deal with this problem "how can I get rid of molten wax on my slow-cooker/ pot/ pan/ floor...etc. Hot water or boiling method almost always leaves mess after you do it.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: wax removal from cassette? [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
Well only thing I learned here is no one here has much of a chemistry background. Did someone really suggest toluene and xylene? Or using hot oil? What...might as well say benzene or oxalic acid if we’re being ridiculous. It’s just wax man...

Shellite is by far the best.
It will leave the metal sqeaky clean and if you do the chain with it will clean it good enough to put in your mouth and ready to wax
Quote Reply
Re: wax removal from cassette? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:

Shellite is by far the best.
It will leave the metal sqeaky clean and if you do the chain with it will clean it good enough to put in your mouth and ready to wax

Sold as Naptha in the US. Also, not terribly different from Mineral Spirits.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 5, 20 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: wax removal from cassette? [MadisonMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultrasonic parts cleaner with 50/50 Simple Green and water. Using it for cassettes, chains, chain rings, etc. Comes out looking brand new (minus any wear of course...).

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply

Prev Next