Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Debate #1 thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Biden has been wishy-washy on his claims of choosing sides all along. He is playing the role of a 47 year politician and doing it well. Where does Harris stand? How about Pelosi? Let’s not forget the infamous AOC. Defunding the police is already happening. If Biden is elected will he put it all back into place?

The police back Trump. No, I don’t have time to find the link, but I read it. Google it yourself.

I don’t believe Biden will fight the party he belongs to on defunding the police.

That’s the difference between you and I.

Biden said it, so it must be true. I’m assuming that’s what you then believe. Although, if Trump says something, he is a liar, so I don’t trust it. I assume that also your response.

It’s ok. I’m not judging you. I’m just saying this is where we differ.


So, I decided I’m ending my activity on this thread. No need to reply, but do so if you choose. I’ve invested more time than I should when I’m working as much as I am right now. I don’t have the time to invest in this discussion any longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said you like trump because he got stuff done. I asked you what were the top 5 things you liked that trump got done.

You said the wall and ended it there.

You posted a list of things you liked that trump did. That list is laughable and does not show stuff Trump has done. By all accounts it seems like you are too lazy to make your own point.

Your initial point was that you liked trump because he got stuff done. People have been repeatedly asking you what has trump done that you liked. You have been able to say 1 thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Dan,

Biden has been wishy-washy on his claims of choosing sides all along. He is playing the role of a 47 year politician and doing it well. Where does Harris stand? How about Pelosi? Let’s not forget the infamous AOC. Defunding the police is already happening. If Biden is elected will he put it all back into place?

The police back Trump. No, I don’t have time to find the link, but I read it. Google it yourself.

I don’t believe Biden will fight the party he belongs to on defunding the police.

That’s the difference between you and I.

Biden said it, so it must be true. I’m assuming that’s what you then believe. Although, if Trump says something, he is a liar, so I don’t trust it. I assume that also your response.

It’s ok. I’m not judging you. I’m just saying this is where we differ.


So, I decided I’m ending my activity on this thread. No need to reply, but do so if you choose. I’ve invested more time than I should when I’m working as much as I am right now. I don’t have the time to invest in this discussion any longer.

Your obvious Leftist boogeyman filter is just silly. Biden has almost a half-century record of governance; he's always been more of a moderate bridge-builder across the aisle than a leftist ideologue. Projecting some kind of fringe position onto him to try and make your vote for Trump sound more defensible is simply kidding yourself to excuse the fact you're supporting a despicable anti-democracy autocrat and racist demagogue. Ooh, but Biden won't disparage AOC with enough venomous ridicule like Trump does, so he's obviously just a closet commie radical... Give me a fucking break. If anything, the actual Lefties never really liked Biden because he was too mild & not strident enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
You said you like trump because he got stuff done. I asked you what were the top 5 things you liked that trump got done.

You said the wall and ended it there.

You posted a list of things you liked that trump did. That list is laughable and does not show stuff Trump has done. By all accounts it seems like you are too lazy to make your own point.

Your initial point was that you liked trump because he got stuff done. People have been repeatedly asking you what has trump done that you liked. You have been able to say 1 thing.

Which didn’t get done. 5 miles of wall. That’s it. That’s all that was built.

Trump voters are absurd.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sosayusall wrote:
You said you like trump because he got stuff done. I asked you what were the top 5 things you liked that trump got done.

You said the wall and ended it there.

You posted a list of things you liked that trump did. That list is laughable and does not show stuff Trump has done. By all accounts it seems like you are too lazy to make your own point.

Your initial point was that you liked trump because he got stuff done. People have been repeatedly asking you what has trump done that you liked. You have been able to say 1 thing.

Which didn’t get done. 5 miles of wall. That’s it. That’s all that was built.

Trump voters are absurd.

don't forget entering trade wars. he got that done......

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:
Training Plan / Log
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
sosayusall wrote:
You said you like trump because he got stuff done. I asked you what were the top 5 things you liked that trump got done.

You said the wall and ended it there.

You posted a list of things you liked that trump did. That list is laughable and does not show stuff Trump has done. By all accounts it seems like you are too lazy to make your own point.

Your initial point was that you liked trump because he got stuff done. People have been repeatedly asking you what has trump done that you liked. You have been able to say 1 thing.

Which didn’t get done. 5 miles of wall. That’s it. That’s all that was built.

Trump voters are absurd.

don't forget entering trade wars. he got that done......

Trade wars are easy. He won them. Bigly.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BLeP wrote:
sosayusall wrote:
You said you like trump because he got stuff done. I asked you what were the top 5 things you liked that trump got done.

You said the wall and ended it there.

You posted a list of things you liked that trump did. That list is laughable and does not show stuff Trump has done. By all accounts it seems like you are too lazy to make your own point.

Your initial point was that you liked trump because he got stuff done. People have been repeatedly asking you what has trump done that you liked. You have been able to say 1 thing.

Which didn’t get done. 5 miles of wall. That’s it. That’s all that was built.

Trump voters are absurd.

don't forget entering trade wars. he got that done......

That’s because they’re easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Bincohiden has been wishy-washy on his claims of choosing sides all along. He is playing the role of a 47 year politician and doing it well. ...

That’s the difference between you and I.

The real difference is that you are time and time again ignoring real-life failings of the present POTUS, and eleveating hypothetical fears to same level as reality. When forced to make any judgment about POTUS, you engage in obvious false equivalences to rationalize your decision to not consider his falings.

Every point that you raise is primarily an attack to win the upcoming election. Witness your favorite "47-year politician". Are you interesting in proving that a life-long public servant is truly evil? Not really, you are satisfied that "politican" is enough condemnation. The more particular attack is that he "hasn't done anything in 47 years" (except for a handful of policies that you specifically cull to attack him further). Of course, you are endlessly arguing with yourself. You are "appalled" that he has not passed very much (careful not to cast any blame for gridlock on your side!), yet you are more appalled by the possiblity that he could pass a great deal of legislation. Scratch the surface of your talking points, and their integrity vanishes to reaveal that they only exist to mount an attack, and they lack any internal logical consistency. That is totally fine, that is what partisn attacks are for, they are perfectly logical in their goal of attacking the other side. That is the only logic that they require.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
jharris wrote:
Dan,

Biden has been wishy-washy on his claims of choosing sides all along. He is playing the role of a 47 year politician and doing it well. Where does Harris stand? How about Pelosi? Let’s not forget the infamous AOC. Defunding the police is already happening. If Biden is elected will he put it all back into place?

The police back Trump. No, I don’t have time to find the link, but I read it. Google it yourself.

I don’t believe Biden will fight the party he belongs to on defunding the police.

That’s the difference between you and I.

Biden said it, so it must be true. I’m assuming that’s what you then believe. Although, if Trump says something, he is a liar, so I don’t trust it. I assume that also your response.

It’s ok. I’m not judging you. I’m just saying this is where we differ.


So, I decided I’m ending my activity on this thread. No need to reply, but do so if you choose. I’ve invested more time than I should when I’m working as much as I am right now. I don’t have the time to invest in this discussion any longer.


Your obvious Leftist boogeyman filter is just silly. Biden has almost a half-century record of governance; he's always been more of a moderate bridge-builder across the aisle than a leftist ideologue. Projecting some kind of fringe position onto him to try and make your vote for Trump sound more defensible is simply kidding yourself to excuse the fact you're supporting a despicable anti-democracy autocrat and racist demagogue. Ooh, but Biden won't disparage AOC with enough venomous ridicule like Trump does, so he's obviously just a closet commie radical... Give me a fucking break. If anything, the actual Lefties never really liked Biden because he was too mild & not strident enough.

i think two things are clear from this exchange:

1. that jharris is a more civil, less caustic, version of amstel. nice guy. but it was always a fiction that he was anything but a trump devotee.

2. jharris is a good enough man that he knew that if he took a square look at trump's assault on our democratic institutions, it would have caused him some real trouble. so he avoided it wholly. trump's narratives make you feel good.

that's what ethnic nationalism does. it feels good. it resonates. civilization is plastic surgery on mankind. but ugly, as they say, is to the bone. jharris has had his brain stem tickled, and an assault on democracy can't compete with that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
has had his brain stem tickled

My wife and I have been talking about this. This is Trump's most useful skill. He has done it his whole life. He can't get everyone. There are a whole lot of people that see or hear him and are immediately turned off. But there are enough people he has gotten what he wants.

In business there are a lot of people who would never come close to him, banks who would never loan him money, vendors who would either not do business or make sure they were paid up front. But he could always find someone.

In the primaries he was sitting at 30% of Republicans. But in a crowded field that was enough. And that 30% were enthralled. Then in the general election who else would Republicans vote for? Hillary? No way. So he got what he wanted.

What I have not completely decided is how my neighbors are so susceptible. I live in north central rural Ohio. My county went 72.4 - 22.9 for Trump. They have nothing in common with him. They are 55th of 88 counties in per capita income. Household income is $49,891/year. No large towns, mostly farmland. So the trade war with China that crushed grain prices hit them hard, but they didn't care. These are guys who do things and make things, something Trump has never done.

But man he can reach into their brains and tickle the right buttons. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and ascribe it to only the best intentions, but I am not naive.

We are so fucked.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Fair enough. I won’t disparage those who vote differently than I do. I have my reasons and I don’t believe the character of a voter reflects the politician for whom they vote. Lots of folks voted for Bill. That doesn’t mean they’re womanizing douchebags whose wife attacks the women assaulted. They had their reasons for their vote that dismissed the teenage libido and the HRC aggressive attacks on the victims.

They had their reasons. It’s more complex than Trumps character. Again, I’m in for Biden/Kamala. I split my vote for Obama.

I’m not willing to throw all whose vote opposite to me into a sewer.


This. You can respect a person, but not respect all of their opinions. We probably need some kind of civic based emotional education in this country.
Last edited by: SH: Oct 3, 20 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Republicans don't actually need to do anything as long as they stop Democrats from doing something. It really is that simple. Hell, Republicans even get a pass on doing things they accuse the Democrats of wanting to do, like blow up the national debt through carefully selected socialist programs. Your neighborhood farmers are one of the biggest recipients of those. The boogeyman is real. We've been taught to be fearful of them from the time we could walk and talk. It's a powerful tool that doesn't require any validation other than they bad, we good.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
BigDig wrote:
jharris wrote:

Biden calling Trump a name isn’t what anything is about. Both candidates suck. I can say that and still say Trump has my vote.

Can you say Biden sucks, but you will vote for him? Be honest.


Biden sucks. I can't remember a less inspiring Democratic Party candidate except maybe Dukakis. I am looking forward to voting for him.

I appreciate you being part of the discussion in forthcoming way. I can't be easy.

I see Trump as a threat to our country and no piece of policy is important enough for me to endorse a threat to our country.


This. Biden is, frankly, pretty mediocre, and that's being generous. He was terrible in the debate, but many still seem to think he won by default. But as you say, he is not the threat to the fabric of our society and our institutions that Trump is. It's not a contest.

Biden is great. He's the best candidate standing. He's not banana republic Donald, and he's not a radicalized hater.
We don't need someone at the peak of health, vigor, and effectiveness. This is the government we're talking about here.
Just give me someone with real life experience, real political experience, that loves this country, and isn't a douchebag.
The remaining ~330 million will pick up the slack.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Republicans don't actually need to do anything as long as they stop Democrats from doing something. It really is that simple. Hell, Republicans even get a pass on doing things they accuse the Democrats of wanting to do, like blow up the national debt through carefully selected socialist programs. Your neighborhood farmers are one of the biggest recipients of those. The boogeyman is real. We've been taught to be fearful of them from the time we could walk and talk. It's a powerful tool that doesn't require any validation other than they bad, we good.

I grew up on a farm. As did my dad and his dad and presumably every dad in the lineage before that. Apparently we have those good genes Trump likes to talk about because we aren't susceptible to his charms. Hell, I'm even mostly German, he might have a point.

We are so fucked.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Republicans don't actually need to do anything as long as they stop Democrats from doing something. It really is that simple. Hell, Republicans even get a pass on doing things they accuse the Democrats of wanting to do, like blow up the national debt through carefully selected socialist programs. Your neighborhood farmers are one of the biggest recipients of those. The boogeyman is real. We've been taught to be fearful of them from the time we could walk and talk. It's a powerful tool that doesn't require any validation other than they bad, we good.


I grew up on a farm. As did my dad and his dad and presumably every dad in the lineage before that. Apparently we have those good genes Trump likes to talk about because we aren't susceptible to his charms. Hell, I'm even mostly German, he might have a point.



Ahh yes, Germans famous for not falling for charismatic leaders that blame a countries problems on boogeymen.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
j p o wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Republicans don't actually need to do anything as long as they stop Democrats from doing something. It really is that simple. Hell, Republicans even get a pass on doing things they accuse the Democrats of wanting to do, like blow up the national debt through carefully selected socialist programs. Your neighborhood farmers are one of the biggest recipients of those. The boogeyman is real. We've been taught to be fearful of them from the time we could walk and talk. It's a powerful tool that doesn't require any validation other than they bad, we good.


I grew up on a farm. As did my dad and his dad and presumably every dad in the lineage before that. Apparently we have those good genes Trump likes to talk about because we aren't susceptible to his charms. Hell, I'm even mostly German, he might have a point.




Ahh yes, Germans famous for not falling for charismatic leaders that blame a countries problems on boogeymen.

I'm so German my mom's grandfather and dad ran a brewery in Defiance, OH. My dad's family grew up around a small town in NW Ohio named New Bavaria. There is a little French thrown in so we do give up every now and then, Bouvier to be exact. Yes that Bouvier. Jackie was like 4th - 6th cousin, can't remember exactly. I didn't even get a Christmas card.

We are so fucked.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
chaparral wrote:
j p o wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Republicans don't actually need to do anything as long as they stop Democrats from doing something. It really is that simple. Hell, Republicans even get a pass on doing things they accuse the Democrats of wanting to do, like blow up the national debt through carefully selected socialist programs. Your neighborhood farmers are one of the biggest recipients of those. The boogeyman is real. We've been taught to be fearful of them from the time we could walk and talk. It's a powerful tool that doesn't require any validation other than they bad, we good.


I grew up on a farm. As did my dad and his dad and presumably every dad in the lineage before that. Apparently we have those good genes Trump likes to talk about because we aren't susceptible to his charms. Hell, I'm even mostly German, he might have a point.




Ahh yes, Germans famous for not falling for charismatic leaders that blame a countries problems on boogeymen.

I'm so German my mom's grandfather and dad ran a brewery in Defiance, OH. My dad's family grew up around a small town in NW Ohio named New Bavaria. There is a little French thrown in so we do give up every now and then, Bouvier to be exact. Yes that Bouvier. Jackie was like 4th - 6th cousin, can't remember exactly. I didn't even get a Christmas card.

Don’t take it too hard, many people are saying that hating Christmas is a tradition among First Ladies.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dangit. Trying to post a gif but link to file won't work and it is too big to upload.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Oct 3, 20 15:49
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Dangit. Trying to post a gif but link to file won't work and it is too big to upload.

Pro tip: open in Paint and resize appropriately. Usually 50 will do, but sometimes 25 is necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
Dangit. Trying to post a gif but link to file won't work and it is too big to upload.


Pro tip: open in Paint and resize appropriately. Usually 50 will do, but sometimes 25 is necessary.


That was easy. Thanks.

Apparently not. Now it isn't animated. I give up.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Oct 3, 20 16:59
Quote Reply
Re: Debate #1 thread [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I have another image. Anyone catch SnL? I liked the nod to Fire Marshall Bill.


Quote Reply

Prev Next