Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr Headwind
Quote | Reply
Im moving into the cave for winter. After a long time of only running and occational outdoor riding, I'm gonna be spending alot of time on the trainer the next few months. I just started, and forgot how excruciating the trainer can be with no fan! So - I need a fan.

Like most, I like gadgets. So - school me - is the Kickr headwind worth it? Or just get a cheap fan from the hardware store?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Headwind [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got tired of using a regular box fan and always being unhappy with the angle or height. I didn't want to spend $60 for a Lasko type 20" fan so I got a 30" shop fan. I picked up one for $100 (w/ coupon). On low, the cfm is more than enough. It covers all of me, and my wife who often rides next to me.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...-shop-fan-47755.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both the headwind and a "regular" fan. Yes, the headwind is overpriced and should probably be about $150, not $250. With that said, I like it over my regular fan for several reasons which you are getting for your money. To be able to control it mid workout through the Wahoo app is a huge plus. Also, to be able to "set it and forget it" with either the HR or Speed feature is a nice touch. And the concentrated flow area is perfect for what it's intended to do. It's so powerful I have rarely cranked it up to full but when I have, it's some serious air flow. My thought process on the purchase was thinking of all the things I have spent money on for this sport and the training, dropping $250 isn't a big deal and for all the conveniences to make training that much more comfortable and stress free is what makes me feel better about paying the over priced $250. I have a feeling Wahoo knows that as well.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Headwind [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TX83 wrote:
I have both the headwind and a "regular" fan. Yes, the headwind is overpriced and should probably be about $150, not $250. With that said, I like it over my regular fan for several reasons which you are getting for your money. To be able to control it mid workout through the Wahoo app is a huge plus. Also, to be able to "set it and forget it" with either the HR or Speed feature is a nice touch. And the concentrated flow area is perfect for what it's intended to do. It's so powerful I have rarely cranked it up to full but when I have, it's some serious air flow. My thought process on the purchase was thinking of all the things I have spent money on for this sport and the training, dropping $250 isn't a big deal and for all the conveniences to make training that much more comfortable and stress free is what makes me feel better about paying the over priced $250. I have a feeling Wahoo knows that as well.

Thanks for the input. Overpriced is almost a synonym to triathlon - or at least cycling - in my opinion :-)

It does feel kinda much to spend on a fan - but still the features you mention are what's gotten me thinking about it. That - plust i gotta admit it looks better (for what that should be worth) than a giant hardware-store-fan (i know - from just the perspective of getting airflow - i can achieve same result for much less bucks). In the end it boils down to how much I want the headwind, and if can I justify spending $ 200 more (give or take) on the headwind vs an ordinary fan. I did spend in excess of $ 300 on a speedsuit I have currently only worn once ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
..........I did spend in excess of $ 300 on a speedsuit I have currently only worn once ;)

This sums up the sport perfectly...haha

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the headwind and returned it. I now have a lasko blower hooked up to a smart plug that I can turn on from my phone or saying "hey siri turn on the fan" into my headphones. I returned the headwind because it didn't work in my space, you need to have it at a pretty specific spot for optimal airflow. The lasko pivots up and down so I was able to use it closer to my bike. I also like being able to use the lasko to ventilate my house during heat wave days. It moves a ton of air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love gadgets but that Headwind seems crazy expensive for what it is. Personally, I use a remote control fan from Amazon. Using the remote, I can turn it on/off, change the fan speed, and the direction. And it was less than $40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
headwind owner, only because i used money gifted to me to purchase it.

i like it for what it is, and i think the bluetooth integration to turn the fan up and down during a ride is pretty neat. i like the very concentrated wind it puts out, and it can def put out a lot compared to anything ive ever used for the indoor cycling setup.

knowing what i know about it now after using it, i would probably begrudgingly pay the price out of my own pocket for it. it is pretty slick.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received a headwind as a gift, so I use it. I wouldn't recommend spending the money to buy one. My other fans are more powerful and I don't find that I use the app to control the fan very often - I'm more inclined to just reach down and turn it on manually even when my phone is sitting right next to me. If it breaks, I won't buy another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The “headwind” part of it is a nice feature, But would you use it? I mean, in theory it’s nice, But in my experience I just put my fans on full speed.
I would just go for 2 or 3 powerful fans for the same cost. I just use smart plugs to turn each on them on/off as needed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will get one on a Black Friday sale...or hope that Wahoo drops the price or comes out with a version 2. One can hope/dream. :)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Headwind [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those that have one, how far away from the bike’s front wheel does it have to be for uptimum setup? I ask b/c my trainer space is tight in front and back at present but I could angle a box fan in if necessary. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr Headwind [Oysterman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oysterman wrote:
For those that have one, how far away from the bike’s front wheel does it have to be for uptimum setup? I ask b/c my trainer space is tight in front and back at present but I could angle a box fan in if necessary. Thanks!

I have mine as close to the front wheel as possible to make sure the max wind is getting under/past my base bar. I then add "risers" to the front to give it the perfect angle. Some people put theirs just off on the side hitting them at an angle. I tried it and didn't like it. I wanted more of a "headwind"

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply