Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aerobar base bars need to be improved [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Hard for me to visualize, would the brake lever be reversed as well?

Does the braking ergonomics seem at all iffy to you?

Because, not sure about you, but for serious stopping power, I gotta use my index finger and middle finger.

My pinky and 4th finger can squeeze too, but not with nearly the same power.

I'm assuming so yeah, its literally like turning a current basebar the other way around. It would likely take some getting used to as you do have better control with the index finger and a bit more strength, but youd certainly feel locked into the bar better and not like you were going to slip, and I doubt it would take much time to get the feeling down. Your other fingers are already engaged, so squeezing hard would essentially just be making a fist.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar base bars need to be improved [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:

Bottom line, a base bar that has dramatically more reach to mimic a true roadbike descending position would maybe solve this issue. The grip position would need to be low and long.

You really don't want lots more reach. A road bike position is stable not because of the reach but because your centre of mass is far enough back that you can support it with your core. A tri position uses the aerobars to support centre of mass. So a well set up tri bike will always be iffy on the basebars (not everyone is sensitive to this though).

As with many things in the bike industry right now - this is an area that is likely to get worse for consumers. Hydro levers don't play nicely with upturned grips so I've had discussions with Profile Design about whether it is worth making new generation bars in that shape. There is still strong demand so that style will remain available for the next few years at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar base bars need to be improved [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the Revos, the brake lever plugs into the front of the bar. They aren’t reversed from a conventional basebar.

The wing section is vertical where you grip the bar, not horizontal. It then turns inwards. It’s basically the same as gripping a drop bar.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar base bars need to be improved [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, have not tried it myself, but it does seem that the revos would work ergonomically. But a horizontal attachment (like a 'backwards' basebar) or hand anchor point? I just don't see how that would work well, or really solve any of the problems of conventional flat basebars.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar base bars need to be improved [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
twain wrote:
3T tried to come up with a solution with the Revo; I tried them. They felt fragile, narrow, and slippery. They don't have enough reach to feel secure.

Bottom line, a base bar that has dramatically more reach to mimic a true roadbike descending position would maybe solve this issue. The grip position would need to be low and long.

I think this bar may be an ideal solution to this issue. Good idea, maybe just needed some refinement of the concept.

The challenge is having something to push back against, which you get with drop bars, and this is essentially a really shallow drop bar with a place to put the "Y" between thumb and forefinger into. I would happily ride on this and trade off any aero penalty for the safety factor. I ride with upturned basebars (Aluminium) for the safety angle. There are enough hills, turns and traffic where I live to make the tradeoff worthwhile.

On this bar, though, I don't think there is a means of up turning my pads and aero extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar base bars need to be improved [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, but I am curious how would you refine the concept?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode on these Scott Extreme Integrated bars from 1994-1997. They were 38 cm wide, and you turned by putting your hand in the curve and having a secure surface for counter steering. Standard clamp brakes (with no STI shifters) where put on the front metal surface

If I can find a picture from Ironman Canada 1994 or Wildflower 1995 I will post, but you could rocket down switchbacks completely in control, with a surface to push back against (not slip off) and your brakes working 100%. The brake lever, front metal sweep and rear metal connnection to the stem were all in the shadows of one another so not sticking out in the wind either. I felt this was the best combo I have seen yet of aero + handling + secure braking. There was also a nice seated climbing position with hands on the front bar vs holding aero pads (mounted on rear bar).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks workable.

What made you stop using them?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I had a similar set of bars around the same timeframe for my mountain bike...but, without the front extensions.

My first year of riding (1993 or so...still in college) I bought a $100 walmart MTB to train for the MS-150. Slicks, shimano SPDs, and Scott MTB aerobar. Besides being able to get "aero" (inasmuch as you can on a MTB frame with MTB slicks, and 32 spoke wheels) the loop gave lots of hand position options for taking the pressure off of the ulnar nerves.

Sorry...back on topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
That looks workable.

What made you stop using them?

I sold the bike that I had them installed on and had some cowhorns and clip Ons laying around that I used to get things rolling for the new bike with a plan to buy another pair of Scott Extremes but then they stopped making them and I never got around to buying another set on the used market.

The only downside was the 38cm width for countersteering. The wider the point your hans is away from stem you have to apply less force for countersteer to get same effect on handling but it was still better than flat basebars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody else like / dislike the 3T Revo? Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next