Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What causes Zwift to apply erroneous offset when I perform zeroing on Garmin?
Quote | Reply
This isn't the first time it has happened. I should have learned to do the zeroing a good five minutes before the start of a race, but I didnt.

What happened was that I unclipped and performed the zeroing on my Garmin (the auto-zero function on my PM was turned off). Everything seemed okay, except at the start of the race, I was pedaling pretty hard, but Zwift showed me doing only ~300 W, whereas Garmin showed me doing ~390 W. I wonder what could have made Zwift apply an erroneous offset.

As for the race, even when I stopped pedaling, there was still a pretty big discrepancy, and I had to restart the program. When I did, the numbers on Garmin matched up to those on Zwift.

Anyone knows what might have caused this? Previously, I had situations where after the zeroing, Zwift would apply a ridiculous offset so that it showed my doing 0 W, despite my pedaling at a good clip (~200 W or so). This one kinda slipped by me, b/c the difference wasn't as drastic when I was pedaling at 200 W.
Quote Reply
Re: What causes Zwift to apply erroneous offset when I perform zeroing on Garmin? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never seen this or heard of this. And I use my garmin regularly to zero my PM before racing. And I've never heard of this come through our CS channels. Zwift does literally zero manipulation of the input signal. We read power. That's it. Whatever your device is sending to Zwift, that's what we show. Setting the zero offset is super standard ANT/BLE message. You've got something funky going. But it's not Zwift doing anything. What's your power meter?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: What causes Zwift to apply erroneous offset when I perform zeroing on Garmin? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing has happened to me several times. I have an SRM and the sequence I have found is to "calibrate" on my garmin first, then pair the srm to zwift. I make sure the crank has been sitting still for minimum of 5 seconds before I pair to zwift. Sometimes, the auto pair feature in zwift is too fast for me so I will go back an unpair the srm, and then re-pair it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What causes Zwift to apply erroneous offset when I perform zeroing on Garmin? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Same thing has happened to me several times. I have an SRM and the sequence I have found is to "calibrate" on my garmin first, then pair the srm to zwift. I make sure the crank has been sitting still for minimum of 5 seconds before I pair to zwift. Sometimes, the auto pair feature in zwift is too fast for me so I will go back an unpair the srm, and then re-pair it.

Understood. Thank you. I think from now on I should remind myself to warm up at least 15 minutes in advance and do the zero with at least 5 minutes left. That way, I could at least attempt to address the issue.

Rappstar wrote:
I've never seen this or heard of this. And I use my garmin regularly to zero my PM before racing. And I've never heard of this come through our CS channels. Zwift does literally zero manipulation of the input signal. We read power. That's it. Whatever your device is sending to Zwift, that's what we show. Setting the zero offset is super standard ANT/BLE message. You've got something funky going. But it's not Zwift doing anything. What's your power meter?

SRM. Definitely had it happen on my Dura Ace 9000 SRM a few times, probably had it happen on my Rotor SRM as well. I learned the hard way not to do the zeroing so close to the start of a race the hard way (the whole reading cadence but no power thing), but I haven't done a race for a while and forgot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the issue only applies to SRM's since the offset gets stored on the head unit and zwift (not in the pm itself which is unlike any other pm).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What causes Zwift to apply erroneous offset when I perform zeroing on Garmin? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I think the issue only applies to SRM's since the offset gets stored on the head unit and zwift (not in the pm itself which is unlike any other pm).

Indeed possible, but curious as to why doing zero offset on a separate head unit would affect the numbers in Zwift.

@Rappstar, how does Zwift know what offset to apply to the signal from a PM?
Quote Reply