Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5th metatarsal tuberosity irritation on long rides
Quote | Reply
When cycling for 2+ hours, I will frequently get pain in my left foot (and sometimes right) radiating out from the 5th metatarsal tuberosity. Although it rarely keeps me from finishing my rides, it can cause quite a substantial amount of discomfort. Once I'm off the bike, the pain almost immediately subsides with only lingering tenderness proportional to the amount of time I suffered through it. I've been wearing Sidi's for about a year and it seems to bother me more frequently than with my prior pairs of LGs.

I'm just curious if others have experienced this and found any relief through modest adjustments? (cleat/spindle position, inserts, etc.)

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: 5th metatarsal tuberosity irritation on long rides [mediocreat3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May want to look at a shim between the cleat/shoe. Start with a 1-2 mm and see how that goes. Another thing to look at is a different insole with better support or one that you can mold to your foot. How are the width of your shoes--tight? Another thing to look at would be the cleat position. I've played with all of these & ultimately mine was a different cleat position (slid mine back and closer to the BB). That said, I went from Look KEO Max Ti to Shimano Dura Ace and the cleats on the DA were a lot wider, and it seems to have solved a lot of the issues.

Finally, I still need a new bike fit to make sure I'm not creating more issues than solving with the tweaks I've made due to some contact point adjustments (DASH SADDLE vs JOFF), pedals/cleats & the fore/aft of saddle due to the brand change. I need someone who actually knows something about bike fits to take a closer look.
Quote Reply
Re: 5th metatarsal tuberosity irritation on long rides [mediocreat3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar issue, though relatively straight forward for me to solve. I have x2 pairs of Bont shoes & the carbon soles wrap upwards without accounting for the tuberosity. I have improved the fit by heat moulding, but they still need further work. Thicker insoles have helped by lifting the foot, but are really just a stop-gap solution. Same with not tightening the straps/boas fully.
Quote Reply