Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hot Race Prep without a Sauna
Quote | Reply
Considering IM Coz but all the saunas in my hood are closed due to Covid.
Anyone have alternative suggestions for heat prep?
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Race Prep without a Sauna [Scotthb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Microclimate

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot baths immediately after running, and/or run in long sleeves/pants in the middle of the day.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Cartagena 70.3 a couple years back, it was in the 90s in both heat and humidity. I prepped for it by doing most of my workouts in my basement with the heat turned up and no fans. Usually I wore two jerseys on the trainer as well. It was brutal, the clean up after each workout was disgusting, I'd start slipping on my treadmill after 45min, I'd have a river running behind my trainer (and also ruined the resistance unit on my inside ride rollers). But it worked, I did well.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Sep 28, 20 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first was IM Austria - race ended up hitting mid/high 30 degrees. I was living in northern UK and had done vast majority of training in rain, exceptions being when it was snowing....

Luckily we got the 3 days a year of sun 2 weeks before where it got to mid - high 20s. I went out at 3pm each day wearing 3 layers of merino and waterproof coat, and beany for 90 minute runs.

Come race day then I honestly didn't notice the heat at all, and I always suffered really bad at anything over 25 in UK. Did get sunburn that left marks for years after, but no heat exhaustion at all.

Was something that I saw that suggested you can get 90% of acclimatization in 2 weeks. Noting that I can't even remember what random person told me that, it was several years ago and possibly was sourced online from the 'ask jeeves' era, I'd treat this with even more skepticism than the general Slowtwitch post claiming scientific fact. But from a personal 'Yorkshire' approach to solving this problem, then wear far too many layers and be active will result in elevated temperature of the air on your skin. And costs less than making all the air in the room you are at hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did bikram or hot yoga 2/week for a few months and long trainer rides, up to 4 hours with a space heater and humidifier going when I prepped for cozumel.
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Race Prep without a Sauna [Helltrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helltrack wrote:
I did bikram or hot yoga 2/week for a few months and long trainer rides, up to 4 hours with a space heater and humidifier going when I prepped for cozumel.

Did it work? Thinking of buying a humidifier to help prepare...
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Race Prep without a Sauna [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Helltrack wrote:

I did something similar for 70.3 Worlds when it was in Clearwater, coming from a colder climate. I did 3 45-minute easy bike rides each week for 2 weeks before leaving for the race in an extra bedroom with a humidifier, heater and fan. Had a great race. I had a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Race Prep without a Sauna [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
lastlap wrote:
Helltrack wrote:

I did something similar for 70.3 Worlds when it was in Clearwater, coming from a colder climate. I did 3 45-minute easy bike rides each week for 2 weeks before leaving for the race in an extra bedroom with a humidifier, heater and fan. Had a great race. I had a great race.

Great, sounds promising!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go listen to this episode of That Triathlon Show - Kona being the main theme, it's largely about heat and humidity prep. Great stuff.

https://scientifictriathlon.com/tts309/

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Race Prep without a Sauna [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
lastlap wrote:
Helltrack wrote:

This is a great approach.

Frequent shorter, very sweaty indoor sessions at low Z2 intensities worked well for my wife in the 2-week lead-up to a couple hot races. Had great performances. I think she did a total of 8 dedicated heat acclimatization sessions totaling about 10-12 hours. All on the bike.

This frequent lower intensity, shorter session approach is well evidenced in the literature for its efficacy.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From PA and Heat trained for Augusta 70.3 2018 by doing all my solo driving with windows up and heat on in the car for up to an hour. During the summer it would get upwards of 140F plus degrees in there. Also made sure to do long rides during the hottest part of the day. Was 102F I think on race day and heat was not a factor for me. YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Helltrack wrote:

I believe it helped. Cozumel felt comfortable, tbh. I think I got lucky with the weather. I think doing bikram may have been more effective than the trainer rides, ymmv.
Quote Reply