Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pool option for folks with military base access.
Quote | Reply
I'm retired military. I swim at the local Air Force Base, which has an indoor pool open year round, and an outdoor pool open in the summer. Both with 25 yard lap lanes. We've had some covid restrictions, but nothing like the public has been putting up with, and they have all been lifted for several months now.

The reason I'm posting this, is because I have talked to other swimmers, and military Veterans/spouses/dependents/DOD workers/etc. These folks have access to the base, and often shop there for groceries, gas, etc. I'm always surprised to hear that some of these folks don't even realize the pools are there. And one fellow older gentleman told me he had been swimming at the Y for years.

Just putting it out there, in case some of you have access to a military base. It might be worth checking out, to see if they have a pool or not. And if they do, chances are pretty good they have a state of the art gym, and an indoor running track as well. I've been going there for years, and just always thought it was general knowledge. But apparently it's not. And if you can get on base, these facilities are available to you.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Pool option for folks with military base access. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have fond memories of Skylark Pool, Lackland AFB - TX.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea, but there are still some pretty hefty restrictions dependent on the local rules. For example, I’m near Langley AFB, and one gym is open, luckily the one with the pool. No locker room access at all. It’s restricted to active duty members, and retirees can still only come on base M/T/F, I believe. The local Army post and Coast Guard station have different rules depending on the facility.

Recent travel has revealed restrictions on bases have all been slightly different as well, so confirm before you waste a trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Air Force Academy fitness center is open for swimming, with restrictions, I'm sure. My local pool is open but I'll be checking ti out this week. Great reminder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually swim masters at a local base, but it's been closed to us and any lap swim since March. It is now only open for Military training, National team water polo training, local USA swim club and local water polo club. Still no word on when it will open up to any other access at this time, apparently they did have some COVID issues on the base, don't think they were pool related though.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe all of the Hampton Roads MWR facilities are only open to Active Duty personnel.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why we have so many problems. This is it right here.

I would not go to a pool or a gym (or a bar or dine in at a restaurant...) allowed or not allowed. Why? Because I don't want to kill my elderly mother that's why. Or my elderly neighbors or a random stranger I may run across.

I do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. Not because some higher authority is making me, because then people will look for loopholes to get around those restrictions.

Significant minority of Americans are emotionally teenagers. Same lack of critical thinking skills, selfish behavior, self centeredness, lack of empathy, lack of theory of mind. Where did so many of you go wrong so badly?

/end rant
Quote Reply
Re: Pool option for folks with military base access. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
This is why we have so many problems. This is it right here.

I would not go to a pool or a gym (or a bar or dine in at a restaurant...) allowed or not allowed. Why? Because I don't want to kill my elderly mother that's why. Or my elderly neighbors or a random stranger I may run across.

I do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. Not because some higher authority is making me, because then people will look for loopholes to get around those restrictions.

Significant minority of Americans are emotionally teenagers. Same lack of critical thinking skills, selfish behavior, self centeredness, lack of empathy, lack of theory of mind. Where did so many of you go wrong so badly?

/end rant

Based on this reply you are firmly in that category. There are many of us that have no contact with the elderly. There are many of us that have gone to work everyday since this started and never got sick. In fact, 350 of us have been going to work in what was the original hot spot and it never got in the plant, because we took it seriously. I agree that critical thinking is required. I find it humorous that the person accusing the rest of us of not having the ability is clearly showing they lack it more than most.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Pool option for folks with military base access. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please, I don't want this thread to deteriorate into a Face Book covid love fest.

I was just making military connected folks aware of a pool option, they might not be aware of. Anyone not in the military, doesn't have a clue how serious they do things, and probably should refrain from comments. Masks required to get on base. Masks required everywhere on base. Masks required to get into the fitness center. Spray sanitizer and washcloth is issued to everyone who enters, and everything must be wiped clean prior to, and after use. Full time cleaning crew constantly sanitizing. The base is covid free, and folks have a better chance of sanitation chemical poisoning than covid. That's the new normal, but life on base has gotten back to normal. My wife and I still refuse to go off base, to eat out, or shop, in public.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Sep 28, 20 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder how the Air Force is getting away with the DoD mandated gym and pool closures? All Navy Gyms and Pools are closed at EVERY SINGLE base I have been to. Some pools are open but only open for mission essential activities.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool option for folks with military base access. [Uno_mas!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uno_mas! wrote:
Wonder how the Air Force is getting away with the DoD mandated gym and pool closures? All Navy Gyms and Pools are closed at EVERY SINGLE base I have been to. Some pools are open but only open for mission essential activities.

That's a very good question, and I have no idea. Our outdoor pool opened a week after Memorial day, but with restrictions at first. 45 person max capacity, one hour per person, and closed every 2 hours for 1 hour of cleaning, and locker rooms/showers closed. Indoor pool was only open to active duty. 4 weeks later they lifted the max capacity, and one hour restriction, but still closed for cleaning every 2 hours, with lockers room showers closed, and indoor pool still open to actives only. 8 weeks after opening, all the restrictions were lifted for both indoor and outdoor pools. We still have to wear masks all they way to the pool deck, and after leaving the pool deck. And the sanitizer and cleaning crews are everywhere. They have every other shower, and bathroom stall closed, and lockers only open 6 feet apart. I don't like to mess with the shower/locker room. I show up swim ready, and dry off and leave from the pool. One nice benefit is the reduced swimming traffic. I've been back in the pool since June, and have yet to see every lane in use, or had to share a lane. Some mornings I have the pool to myself most of the time.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville AL indoor pool is still closed. However MWR does sell a pass to allow anyone access to the base. A ton of cyclists use the base on the weekends. But you are correct, I am surprised at how many folks do not realize there is a nice indoor pool on the base that they can use.
Quote Reply