Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in Breckinridge Colorado
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I will be going to Breckinridge Co next week and plan on doing some cycling while I am there. Just wondering if anybody who is familiar with the area could recommend some of the most popular routes in the area? Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Breckinridge Colorado [rbd32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome place. I assume you’re looking for paved cycling. There’s a popular recreational path that heads south of Breckenridge towards Dillon, and from there the path goes in multiple directions, depending on how much time you have. Just be ready to climb on the way back.

For gravel biking, there are a lot of options. One popular, simple, but not easy one is the road up Boreas Pass. Then coast on the way back.

Have fun - I’ve been going to Breckenridge the past few summers and really enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loveland Pass, Copper Triangle. Going around Lake Dillon on the path is pretty. The road up to Montezuma is also nice.

Re: Cycling in Breckinridge Colorado [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
Loveland Pass, Copper Triangle. Going around Lake Dillon on the path is pretty. The road up to Montezuma is also nice.
Was just up there recently. You can ride the path from Breck to Frisco. Then you have 2 good choices. Go west and up Vail Pass (or as someone mentioned the Copper Triangle course. I would reccomend Vail Pass, down into Vail and back for a good long ride with lots of climbing. You can also leave the path in Frisco and go up Swan Mountain Road. Good several mile climb, then you join back on the paved trail at the top and come down the back side of the reseviour, around Frisco and back to Breck for about a 40 mile ride. It is mostly on the trail except for going up Swan Mountain and about 100 yards on the west side of the res.

Really nice up there. It will be getting colder though so make sure to bring appropriate clothes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road, gravel, or mtb?

As others have said, tons of paths for road. Basically enough to get you back up to 70 and then paths that parallel 70 for as far as you want to go.

If you're looking for gravel, Boreas is the obvious option. If you want something epic, you can ride down to Alma and then take mosquito pass over to Leadville. Probably starting to get too cold for that, but it's a badass route if you're prepped for some hike-a-bike
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Breckinridge Colorado [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breck is my favorite town in the world. Dying to move up there one day.

Nevertheless, if gravel, Boreas Pass. There are a ton of single track rides that branch off (if you're feeling particularly stupid and adventurous). I haven't done any road rides up there, but I'm certain it would be perfect.

Weather-wise -- you should be fine. It may be a bit chilly, but it beats the triple digits we've been seeing for the past few months on the front range.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Breckinridge Colorado [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other thing I’d follow is the Air Quality Index. With all the fires in the west right now, some days have been awful for riding

This site has been great: https://www.iqair.com/...olorado/breckenridge

My own person preference is to ride outside if it’s <60, 60-80 is a bit of a gray area, and anything >80 and my lungs feel horrible after a ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been to Dillon for summer vacation 3 times in the last 7 years. I absolutely love the cycling opportunities in the area. If I had the means, I’d spend all summer there every year. Google “summit county cycling” for loads of options. From Breck, you can go to Frisco, then Copper Mountain, then over Vail Pass to Vail (and beyond, if you wish) and be on protected path for most of the distance. Breck to Keystone then up to Loveland Pass is a more challenging climb than Vail Pass, without a path for much of the route, but you are rewarded with some really amazing views.

A couple pieces of advice. Remember that you are starting your rides at ~10000ft of altitude, and may go up to ~12k. The air is thin and if you are a native lowlander, your effective FTP will be quite a bit lower than you are used to. Ride with restraint, and put the lowest gearing on your bike that you can.

2. Don’t be afraid to try some MTBing, even If you have little or no experience. Rent an MTB for a day, find some of the easy cross country routes, and see the back country. I had virtually no MTB Experience, and I survived a 30 mile “Green trail” XC loop on an early 90’s Specialized MTB with the original 50mm fork and a 3x7 drivetrain. On a modern MTB, even a Hardtail, it would have been a completely drama free experience. Next time I go back, I'll be splitting my ride time 50/50 between road/hardpath/gravel and singletrack MTB trails.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Sep 25, 20 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you're there be sure to hit up the Pearl Izumi outlet shop in Dillon. I picked a some great stuff and low prices a month or so ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Breckinridge Colorado [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys thank you so much!! So much great info in this thread. Can’t wait to check it out. I will definitely check out some of these routes both road and MTB. And I will definitely be taking it easy with the altitude. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful on the rec paths near town. They can get busy at times. Folks just kind of wander around and do unexpected things. Let them know you are there and be safe. Speaking from experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta do the Moonstone climb too. Brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://ridewithgps.com/...vail-pass-la?lang=en

One of my favorite rides in the high mountains.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how late the road to the top of Mt Evans stays open (date)?
Quote Reply