Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a bike in 2020
Quote | Reply
Anyone managed to select and buy a new road bike in the last few months? My local Trek store looks like they have been burgled. Nothing to try at the Orbea dealer - and placing an order now leads to delivery sometime between Feb and June 2021. There may be some bikes around, but don't want to make a decision without having the option to try some of my initial choices. i haven't bought a new road bike for 11 years so another year isn't a disaster. Definitely better than settling for something because it was all that was available.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a road bike but a mtn bike.

Salsa relaxed some of their online sales rules this spring and I was able to snag a 2018 model Timberjack at a discounted price. Not gonna lie it was a bit concerning buying a bike without trying it especially as I was at the top of the height chart. After switching out the post it rides like a dream.

But yes, basically all bike shops look bare. Have you looked at the used market?
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Sep 24, 20 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a new Pinarello road bike from Nytro Multisport here in San Diego. Most stores here seem to have a decent selection of "higher end" bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems like a long time to wait for a 2021. I ordered a Scott and they are telling me November for their initial shipment.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [ruckustrx11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are better off waiting until next spring.
I was at my local shop yesterday. he is a Giant dealer, he had a few high end bikes back in august but he sold all of them and told me that nothing will be coming in until the winter

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased my new Roubaix in July. Waited less than a week for delivery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Litespeed Cherohala. Ordered it in late July and received about a month later. If you are interested in stock production bikes with frames manufactured outside of the U.S., you are better off waiting until the spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Anyone managed to select and buy a new road bike in the last few months? My local Trek store looks like they have been burgled. Nothing to try at the Orbea dealer - and placing an order now leads to delivery sometime between Feb and June 2021. There may be some bikes around, but don't want to make a decision without having the option to try some of my initial choices. i haven't bought a new road bike for 11 years so another year isn't a disaster. Definitely better than settling for something because it was all that was available.

I bought a Cervelo R3 in April, on sale no less and just bought a new BMC MTB yesterday. The shop where I got the MTB seemed to have a good selection of higher end bikes. Its not a Trek or Specialized dealer. Mainly BMC, Cervelo, Moots and stuff like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2021 Cervelo S Series a few weeks ago, which is the replacement for the S3. The LBS happened to have it in stock in my size. My original plan was to buy a Tarmac SL7 frame and build it up, but the frames are sold out and this Cervelo was right in front of me ready to ride.

If you’re comfortable with mail order, mybikeshop.com and theproscloset.com have good selection, although it sounds like you want to test ride first, which is completely understandable.

Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you like the roubaix? Thinking about that bike. Want a bit shorter top tube and that seems to have that for a bit more relaxed fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the color of that frame

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 That color is nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2
That looks fabulous.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you all. i think i'll be waiting. I'm in PA so in a month or two it will be winter-bike weather or even the trainer.

may get a Al gravel bike to help me get through the wait - if i can find one i like (Terra, Checkpoint ALR, or Al Grail or similar). Don't mind getting that online
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - the color changes from blue to purple depending on the angle. In case this helps anyone looking at this bike, Cervelo thankfully got rid of the RAT axles on the S Series for 2021, so it has traditional through axles.

The stem is integrated, which makes for a clean look, hiding all the cables. However, it also means buying a $160 stem if you want to change the length, which also requires disconnecting the brake cables and a rebleed.

In terms of the ride, it’s exactly what you would expect. Stiff with a long and low riding position. The toe overlap with the front is huge, which takes some getting used to. The first few rides gave me sore shoulders, but a pro bike fit helped tremendously. I did a 70 mile ride last weekend and was pretty fine except for a slightly sore neck.

Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike in 2020 [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s my first road bike in many years. Having a smart trainer, my TT bike, and gravel I haven’t put that much time on it yet. When I have I’ve chosen hilly/ curvy rides where I feel like it excels over my TT bike. I really like the DI shifting and the disc brakes. Last week I put a pair of new GP 5000 7x28s on it and rode a century with about 7k of climbing. It was by far the smoothest 100 I’ve ever have ridden and I’m pretty sure I gained some free watts from those tyres too. I’m happy I chose this bike to ride into my final years of cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sort of wondering what the Tri bike market looks like. I know every other category of bikes is off the charts... but I can't image as many people ran out and picked up a new tri bike this year.