Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1 Year to 1st IM
Quote | Reply
Planning on signing up for IM MD when registration opens (assuming there are spots open) and want to make sure my plan sounds reasonable for prep

Stats: 23 M, 155 lbs. Been running consistently for better part of last decade and was a swimmer as a kid through early HS. Have done a few tri's and a 70.3 a little over a year ago where I went ~5:20 (38/2:55/1:43 splits) off of <5 hours of training a week. Was only doing it for fun and wasn't really racing so I don't put too much stock in the time. Longest bike before was only 32 miles and wasn't doing any sort of structured workouts.

This past spring I was doing a good amount of running and cycling averaging 9-12 hours a week without much structure and a focus on consistency and increasing bike volume.

Plan for next year:

currently training for a half marathon and 5k time trial in October. Aiming for 1:20 and 16:30 and have been holding 45-50 mpw for the past two months. Previous open PRs were 1:25 and 16:45 off of less training than what I am currently doing and based on my workouts I am optimistic that these are within reach but also not certainties.

after this run focused block ends i'm going to reduce mileage to some easy runs only here and there as I do a bike focused block aiming at raising my FTP over ~2 months. Recently got a power meter and don't know current FTP but guess is around 220 based on some workouts I've done and haven't been training much lately though I was biking frequently in the spring reaching over hilly terrain including my first century which felt really good. (Think it was something like 103 miles in 5:33 w/ 4k+ feet of climbing).

After this I will take some time off for around 2 weeks then get back into a structured multi discipline training. Take 22 weeks to build up to 70.3 Roanoke in 5x4 week blocks and followed by a 2 week taper for the race. Post race I'll take 1 week to recover then do 3x4 week blocks to prep for IM Maryland where I then take another 2 week taper into race day. Will likely build blocks around the triathletes training bible style of build volume for 3 weeks then reduce a little every 4th week.

Volume will range anywhere from 8 up to 16 hours a week on peak weeks with a planned distribution of about 15% - 50% - 35% between swim - bike - run. The

I don't have any current time goals as I don't have a great grasp of what I might be capable of and I don't want to limit or set too high of expectations right now. Waiting to establish some 70.3 goals until January and then will reestablish the IM goals after that race.

Is there anything that is glaringly wrong with this plan or things that would be good to look into for improving it?
Last edited by: SnowChicken: Sep 24, 20 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Year to 1st IM [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
Planning on signing up for IM MD when registration opens (assuming there are spots open) and want to make sure my plan sounds reasonable for prep

Stats: 23 M, 155 lbs. Been running consistently for better part of last decade and was a swimmer as a kid through early HS. Have done a few tri's and a 70.3 a little over a year ago where I went ~5:20 (38/3:55/1:43 splits) off of <5 hours of training a week. Was only doing it for fun and wasn't really racing so I don't put too much stock in the time. Longest bike before was only 32 miles and wasn't doing any sort of structured workouts.

This past spring I was doing a good amount of running and cycling averaging 9-12 hours a week without much structure and a focus on consistency and increasing bike volume.

Plan for next year:

currently training for a half marathon and 5k time trial in October. Aiming for 1:20 and 16:30 and have been holding 45-50 mpw for the past two months. Previous open PRs were 1:25 and 16:45 off of less training than what I am currently doing and based on my workouts I am optimistic that these are within reach but also not certainties.

after this run focused block ends i'm going to reduce mileage to some easy runs only here and there as I do a bike focused block aiming at raising my FTP over ~2 months. Recently got a power meter and don't know current FTP but guess is around 220 based on some workouts I've done and haven't been training much lately though I was biking frequently in the spring reaching over hilly terrain including my first century which felt really good. (Think it was something like 103 miles in 5:33 w/ 4k+ feet of climbing).

After this I will take some time off for around 2 weeks then get back into a structured multi discipline training. Take 22 weeks to build up to 70.3 Roanoke in 5x4 week blocks and followed by a 2 week taper for the race. Post race I'll take 1 week to recover then do 3x4 week blocks to prep for IM Maryland where I then take another 2 week taper into race day. Will likely build blocks around the triathletes training bible style of build volume for 3 weeks then reduce a little every 4th week.

Volume will range anywhere from 8 up to 16 hours a week on peak weeks with a planned distribution of about 15% - 50% - 35% between swim - bike - run. The

I don't have any current time goals as I don't have a great grasp of what I might be capable of and I don't want to limit or set too high of expectations right now. Waiting to establish some 70.3 goals until January and then will reestablish the IM goals after that race.

Is there anything that is glaringly wrong with this plan or things that would be good to look into for improving it?

Looks all good, although it is mentally very hard and potentially boring to keep motivation for a structured plan over a whole year.
Anyway, good luck but the figures of your 70.3 contain a typo: either you did 6:20 or you biked 2:55 (I hope the latter)
Last edited by: longtrousers: Sep 24, 20 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Year to 1st IM [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are right. meant to be a 2:55

the continuity of the training was definitely the biggest concern especially because it is my first time doing so and I think my solution would be trying to introduce some form of variety in the blocks whether it be moving a bit away from high structure on the down weeks or having some blocks be more bike or swim focused to have something else change

the other idea behind it was these next 3-4 months aren't really focused on the IM but on the running time trials or raising my FTP. Hopefully this will help me see how well I can stick to having structure again in my training (so far so good)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty good.
Suggestions:
1. You need lots of base training....lots....
2. I would treat the HIM as just a trial event and "B" race and a way to test out various things for the IM.
3. With this in mind, I would focus your training leading into the HIM as though that was just a trial and not specifically train for just a HIM, the time you have left from the HIM to the IM is still reasonable to build but you will be better placed to have focused your off season period on IM and not the HIM.
4. Splits for training percentages are not too bad...but sounds like you need some decent swim coaching/training....yes it is the shortest leg but it makes the whole event a lot easier if you can come out of the water nice and relatively rested etc.
5. Bike: by all means focus on your FTP, but you really need to build very good endurance....hence lots and lots of base work. Think 4-6 hour weekend rides on a regular basis.
6. Running is for most the highest risk endeavour...sounds like this is not your limiter
7. If you can afford it, get a coach.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Year to 1st IM [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah base training is definitely the priority and would get a coach but not in the budget this year so kind of going at it on my own. Was thinking about taking the half as a less than A race so will probably have less of a taper into it and still eyes set on IM during the winter and spring.

Swimming wise I actually used to be pretty good with good form and was close to that shape before covid shut everything down. The first half I did was literally my ground zero where I didnt swim for the 5 weeks before and only was in the water once a week in the weeks before that. Planning on doing 3 swims a week this training cycle
Last edited by: SnowChicken: Sep 24, 20 17:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
Yeah base training is definitely the priority and would get a coach but not in the budget this year so kind of going at it on my own. Was thinking about taking the half as a less than A race so will probably have less of a taper into it and still eyes set on IM during the winter and spring.

Swimming wise I actually used to be pretty good with good form and was close to that shape before covid shut everything down. The first half I did was literally my ground zero where I didnt swim for the 5 weeks before and only was in the water once a week in the weeks before that. Planning on doing 3 swims a week this training cycle

Sounds like a good plan.
There are a couple of good books to help guide you on Amazon as well....there is one called Ironfit and also the Matt Fitzgerald 80:20 triathlon book is also good for a read and for some planning. One of them (sorry need to check my iPad) has a great 20+ week plan which for the price of the books is well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You aren't doing or planning anything wrong. Go out and get it. If you have the ability, just put in the work and it will go well. Plenty of time to train and put in the volume and work required to perform how you want.

I did my first IM at roughly your age on a handful of months training after a year long deployment where I didn't see a pool or run or a bike the whole time, but previously had a collegiate D1 sports background, so the base was sort of still there. The most important factor will be keeping consistency in your training and using your B type lead up races as practice runs in terms of how you should execute your race taper as many people differ in what workouts or rest periods help them the most in the lead up to a race. Typically high volume trainers perform poorly if they taper to much, and likewise the other way for people who train less volume.

Best of luck on your IM journey and enjoy the process even if you hate it times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest thing I learned on my IM path is that consistency is King. If you put together months and months of consistent, day in and day out work, you can do anything. This requires a lot of patience, planning and intelligence. if you do anything so hard today, that prevents you from training tomorrow, then you aren’t being smart about your training. if you excel at one of the three disciplines, you may need to reign yourself in so that you are training all 3 disciplines well. I have used this approach for 3-4 yrs (6 IMs in 4 yrs), I have done pretty well in this sport, and for the most part I have stayed injury free.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Year to 1st IM [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
using your B type lead up races as practice runs in terms of how you should execute your race taper as many people differ in what workouts or rest periods help them the most in the lead up to a race. Typically high volume trainers perform poorly if they taper to much, and likewise the other way for people who train less volume.

This is actually something that I think will be good to consider. Use the 70.3 as a practice of the taper. I know what sort of taper I need for running races but the ultra-endurance side is a completely different animal. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything in your plan makes sense. I think its a very aggressive plan, there are like 4 peaks in a year and practically no off-seasons per se. But you're very young and in a great shape, you might pull it off.

I think most of the latest books (Dixon, Fitzgerald) started to cater more to a crowd twice your age (and screwed up by 20 years of building careers in the office). :)

If I were you, I'd have only two large cycles: one for HIM and one for IM. Also I think the idea of rest weeks is going away slowly. You're not supposed to kill yourself in 3 weeks so you'd need a week of rest.

But then again, you probably should try to push yourself as much as possible in order to find your limits. You have time for trial and error.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Year to 1st IM [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
Everything in your plan makes sense. I think its a very aggressive plan, there are like 4 peaks in a year and practically no off-seasons per se. But you're very young and in a great shape, you might pull it off.

I think most of the latest books (Dixon, Fitzgerald) started to cater more to a crowd twice your age (and screwed up by 20 years of building careers in the office). :)

If I were you, I'd have only two large cycles: one for HIM and one for IM. Also I think the idea of rest weeks is going away slowly. You're not supposed to kill yourself in 3 weeks so you'd need a week of rest.

But then again, you probably should try to push yourself as much as possible in order to find your limits. You have time for trial and error.

I wouldn't really say the first two running and cycling blocks are true "peaks" in the same way I plan to peak for the half (not even full peak here either) or the full. For the running I am just going to reduce mileage down to 40 from 50 mpw and then begin adding in some easy cycling. Then once I do the time trials the cycling will take a noticeable increase and the running will come back down to something like 3 times a week at like 5-6 miles just to keep that system fresh but really be focusing on getting in 5 bikes a week and progress there as cycling is where I think I have the most improvements to make by far

good to know that the rest week was more catered towards older populations. I think it still has some merit as it is common in run base training plans so I will likely include it in my plan but maybe to a different extent. For me that may look like every 4th week lower the run volume a little bit and then up the swim and bike to compensate as those are my weaker two sports. Running also will still be the highest injury risk activity even though that is my background and have been pretty durable through the years.
Quote Reply