Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Treadmill Shopping [Vegaskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sole just looks very cheap and 80s to me.
---

Yeah, well, some of us like the 80s. The 80s were radical. Don't bag on the 80s, man.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegaskid wrote:
About a year ago. Guess prices have gone up with the covid nonsense.

The Sole just looks very cheap and 80s to me. Saw one at the running store and didn't like it. May work great though...lots of happy campers

The thing that's just as important as the in-realtime review of it by trying it, is the long-term warrantee. With any TM, you should seriously examine the warrantee - if you are using a TM regularly, with all the moving parts, something will fail at some point. That fail point moves up a lot closer to near 100% within 7-8 years with TMs < $2000 including Sole F80s.

The sole gets solid reviews not just because it runs solidly, but because enough folks have had decent experiences with their warrantee situation that it holds up.

If you get a great super-value treadmill that can outperform the Sole at a cheaper price, but becomes a nightmare to warrantee or even repair the moment something goes wrong, you just lost all the value you saved. And again, the failures don't typically happen up front even in the first 3 years - but after that, a lot of failures. To the point that I've seen on pro TM technician websites recommend that people entirely replace their <$2000 TM after 8 years if it needs more than trivial service.

I love my Sole F80 as much as the next guy, but I store mine in a garage that gets real AM condensation from all the temp cooling and accelerates wear on the TM and I've had to replace everything short of the frame in my F80 to keep it running the past 10 years. Luckily, the reputation was good, and I had no problems with them, but I did have to buy some parts out of warrantee (still wayyy cheaper than buying a new TM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegaskid wrote:
I was considering a sole but ended up buying a horizon 7.4 AT. theyhad one to try at a fitness store and it felt surprisingly good.

Adjust speed quickly and I have had no issues with it. The app is complete garbage and it doesn't track elevation climbed, but I use my Garmin watch and zwift Run pod. lifetime warranty on motor.

for $1200 or so I figured I can't go wrong. I have had it for almost a year with zero issues. Just another option to consider if you don't want to spend 8 or $10,000 on a treadmill

I have the 7.1AT, we got it early into COVID, when it looked like they were going to limit outdoor time around here, but that never happened. That said, I've put a fair amount of use into it, and it's holding up well (due for a belt re-lube after we move this weekend). I never bothered with their app, I have a Runn sensor mounted on the belt, and use it with Zwift (I have a footpod that I can use too, but the belt sensor makes sense so my wife can also use it on Zwift). I find it acclerates quickly, and is very stable (it is heavy AF, not looking forward to bringing it out of the basement to move this weekend...) and can handle my fat ass running on it (200lbs ish) for long periods of time. I find that it holds speed pretty well too, with minor fluctuations on foot contact (which is what you expect with a 3.0CHP motor). It's not overly loud either. I would say you definitely need extra fans, the built in won't move much air around you (I found myself doing a number of long runs on the mill this year, on super hot and humid days, because of t-storms outside).

It's certainly no Woodway, but for the price (We're in Canada, ordered directly from Horizon, they often have coupon codes for subscribing to their newsletter, and despite being in the mid of every fitness equipment vendor being pillaged, we got it within two weeks of ordering, delivered to our door (they wouldn't offer the service to bring it where you wanted because of COVID, they did bring it up the front steps and lay it in our front hallway in the house though...).
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

The thing that's just as important as the in-realtime review of it by trying it, is the long-term warrantee. With any TM, you should seriously examine the warrantee - if you are using a TM regularly, with all the moving parts, something will fail at some point. That fail point moves up a lot closer to near 100% within 7-8 years with TMs < $2000 including Sole F80s.

That's what I'm now starting to look into more as a factor to decide which one to go with. I got agreement with the wife now to bump up the budget for a nicer treadmill and now starting to look at ones up to $2000. Considering the Nordictrack 1750 (biggest HP motor of the group) and ProForm 2000 (because the -3% decline is tempting and it's the lowest price of the bunch). Also considering the Horizon 7.4 AT because it is comparable but I can get coupon discounts potentially directly ordering from their site. Counting out the Sole F80 mainly because I want a better interface console.

But the factory warranties on the C1750 and the ProForm are a bit dismaying (only 10 year frame, 2 year parts and 1 year labor). Horizon 7.4 AT is comparable to Sole it seems with a lifetime motor/frame, 5 year parts and 2 year labor. I did notice for the F80 the lifetime warranty extends to the Deck too. Interesting to see this and it would make the bump from an F63 worth it because that doesn't have that same deck warranty (only 3 years along with parts the same too, labor is 1 year only).

Also if in 10 years whatever treadmill I end up with breaks down such that I have to replace it (assuming only minor repairs/regular maintenance up to that point) I really don't mind having to buy a new one. Plus I'd hope I'd be in a situation to be fortunate enough to get a Woodway or something but we'll see. That's future me problem to deal with.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

That's what I'm now starting to look into more as a factor to decide which one to go with. I got agreement with the wife now to bump up the budget for a nicer treadmill and now starting to look at ones up to $2000. Considering the Nordictrack 1750 (biggest HP motor of the group) and ProForm 2000 (because the -3% decline is tempting and it's the lowest price of the bunch). Also considering the Horizon 7.4 AT because it is comparable but I can get coupon discounts potentially directly ordering from their site. Counting out the Sole F80 mainly because I want a better interface console.

But the factory warranties on the C1750 and the ProForm are a bit dismaying (only 10 year frame, 2 year parts and 1 year labor). Horizon 7.4 AT is comparable to Sole it seems with a lifetime motor/frame, 5 year parts and 2 year labor. I did notice for the F80 the lifetime warranty extends to the Deck too. Interesting to see this and it would make the bump from an F63 worth it because that doesn't have that same deck warranty (only 3 years along with parts the same too, labor is 1 year only).

Also if in 10 years whatever treadmill I end up with breaks down such that I have to replace it (assuming only minor repairs/regular maintenance up to that point) I really don't mind having to buy a new one. Plus I'd hope I'd be in a situation to be fortunate enough to get a Woodway or something but we'll see. That's future me problem to deal with.

Additional tips from my experience with my Sole:

- Lifetime deck warrantee is worth it. I went through 2 of them. To be fair, they weren't totally broken, just some superficial fissuring on them, but the repair guy sent me new ones just to be sure.
- Lifetime frame warrantee is standard for nearly all TMs, even cheap ones
- Make sure if you're buying a 3% decline TM that the max speed of the TM while in decline mode is sufficient. Most of the ones I saw go to max 7min/mile in decline mode, which may or may not be adequate for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious how much mileage you put in before those decks started to have issues? I'm not planning on super heavy volume compared to the marathon and IM (full or half distance folks) for quite some time until my kid probably become a lot older. Mainly during the winter months it will see use 3-4 times a week (maybe 5 at times) by me and hoping to ramp up to get to 20 or so miles a week come next spring (if I don't do something stupid to injure myself). Then during the nicer months I'm expecting (or hoping) I get outside more and it'll see use 1-3x a week at most depending on weather/time constraints. I really don't plan to run more volume than 20-25 miles a week once I'm back in shape for the next few years honestly. Estimating less than 1k miles a year on the thing over time (including the wife using it occasionally).

I do prefer a stronger motor though as I'm not exactly lightweight (hovering around the 180-200lb range the last few years...mainly because I'm inconsistent with training for stretches and I'm not watching what I eat as closely over that time period).

I did mention the decline piqued my interest but honestly probably don't mind if it's speed limited because I'm not a fast enough of a runner at this point to worry about 7min miles being "too slow"....I wish but I'm just not there yet unless I can consistently run at least 25+ miles a week for a year straight or more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, it varies. I didn't check how many miles before I changed my deck, but it was about 3 years of fairly hard running on it, probably averaging about 20mpw on it (which means I went strectches with 0-10 miles and some with 40-50).

As said, my deck was probably actually fine to go - it had mild cracking on the surface which I only noticed because I was in a barefoot running phase and could for the first time feel them under them belt. It was very superficial when I took the deck out, and for sure I could have even flipped the deck for it to keep going. I only changed it because when I called Sole to ask if this was a problem, they just said they'd send me one for free under warrantee before I ran into any issues.

My 2nd deck change was again, an 'optional' one - I was replacing one of the rollers which had rusted out and they sent me a 2nd deck fwhen I mentioned the new deck had some minimal fissuring on it as well about 3 years after the first (out of warrantee). I do think I paid for that one, though (they sent me a new motor for free as well at that time.)

It varies with how heavy, how hard, and how fast you run, but it should last you years. I'm actually positive I could have kept running on my decks despite the damage, with no problem in retrospect.
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 28, 20 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can also contact Woodway about buying factory-refurbished units. I've got a Desmo frame with 4Front electronics/features and a new tread. Other than cosmetics, you'd never know it wasn't new. I didn't buy from Woodway, but from someone who bought a refurb from Woodway.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [Vegaskid] & PSA also on Horizonfitness.com has a valid online coupon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up pulling the trigger on a Horizon 7.4AT after your recommendation and comparing it to the options out there in the same price range. Ordered directly from Horizonfitness.com and ended up finding some coupon deals. PSA to those who are reading this but I got a 6% off coupon to work there in the cart "SAVE6" which helped save just under $100 (well $95.94 to be exact). Ground shipping was free.

Also to those who use cash back rewards referral sites I also used an ActiveJunky referral link to get back another 4% cash back rewards on top of the 6% at the cart savings I found which should net me another $60 back on top of what I've already save with the coupon. It's legit cash back as I've been using it for years to tune of getting almost a couple hundred back in rewards from them and counting.

I was impressed enough with the features and warranty of the 7.4AT to want to try it out (and an updated display along with a better, to me, interface control console compared to the Sole's). That and it appears they have it in stock and I can expect it in a 10-15 days (or so they say). Just wasn't sure about the additional price for the Nodictrack 1750 over all the other ones I was looking at and the rather paltry warranty (same with the ProForm warranty and it wasn't something I could find in stock easily either).
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How silent is a Woodway? I'm contemplating getting one but I live in a condo with neighbors above/beneath/around me and it would be a mega bummer to not be able using it properly for noise issues...

Thanks

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
How silent is a Woodway? I'm contemplating getting one but I live in a condo with neighbors above/beneath/around me and it would be a mega bummer to not be able using it properly for noise issues...

Thanks

Do you have the right power hookup for it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the 4front was running on 220V/16A which is the power output we have here in France.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm totally gonna crap all over NordicTrack. I'm on my third warranty replacement - one frame and two motor issues. The first one was a bad motor, now it is a motor control board. Icon Fitness is now stating the control board will be here in JANUARY 2021! They're clearly prioritizing new machines over warranty.

So. My experience hasn't been good. I'm taking the Woodway plunge now...I feel like I'd buy three or four more NordicTracks. That being said, I have put 2100 miles on the replacement since I got it last October between the wife and I.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [bikerun247] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I kind of noticed a common denominator big complaints and poor customer service not taking care of existing owners for spare parts. The Nordictrack was the only one in stock locally to me and on Amazon too out of the ones I looked at. The limited warranty and complaints on customer service swayed me away from it.... wasn't worth the premium they were asking I felt.

Ironically I'm getting rid of (not by choice) an older Nordictrack C2050 treadmill and that's why I'm in the market for a new one. Friend's mom needed a place to store her treadmill in the divorce and I ended up holding on to it for 7 years.....then the other week she finally asked for it back. A bit annoyed as it still works (after me fixing it a couple of times) but it is what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In fairness, we beat ours up day in day out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have a basis for comparison against other brands. I'm in a single-family detached house, so I don't have neighbor issues. The Woodway is incredibly heavy and sturdy, so my footstrike doesn't make much noise that would transmit to a neighbor. That's my guess, at least.

In a gym environment, the Woodways seem a lot quieter than other brands. Other brands have flat decks with a belt that runs over it, so they're sort of like a drum, and footstrikes make a whump-whump-whump noise. On the Woodway, the tank-style tread doesn't resonate.

The Woodway incline motor is considerably louder than its belt motor, so there's a fairly loud groan while it moves up or down. My wife says that's the only sound she ever notices when she's downstairs. My Woodway is upstairs in a two-story house, so that may be a good indication for you. I have it sitting on a thick rubber "stall mat" from Tractor Supply -- picture a very heavy-duty gym floor -- and I think that helps. Honestly, the hardest thing about a Woodway is getting it up the stairs. Their customer service is fantastic. Good luck!

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
captainolek wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have a basis for comparison against other brands. I'm in a single-family detached house, so I don't have neighbor issues. The Woodway is incredibly heavy and sturdy, so my footstrike doesn't make much noise that would transmit to a neighbor. That's my guess, at least.

In a gym environment, the Woodways seem a lot quieter than other brands. Other brands have flat decks with a belt that runs over it, so they're sort of like a drum, and footstrikes make a whump-whump-whump noise. On the Woodway, the tank-style tread doesn't resonate.

The Woodway incline motor is considerably louder than its belt motor, so there's a fairly loud groan while it moves up or down. My wife says that's the only sound she ever notices when she's downstairs. My Woodway is upstairs in a two-story house, so that may be a good indication for you. I have it sitting on a thick rubber "stall mat" from Tractor Supply -- picture a very heavy-duty gym floor -- and I think that helps. Honestly, the hardest thing about a Woodway is getting it up the stairs. Their customer service is fantastic. Good luck!

That's very helpful indeed! Thanks a lot!

The mat is definitely in my plans as well. Did you isolate the walls with some soundproof foams? (A friend of mine did that for a "traditional" treadmill but I wonder if that's necessary for a woodway)

Also may I ask you how much you weigh? I am around that 145lbs mark (66kg) and I believe that may help to get even less noise

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video gives a good example of the noise comparison. But the noise associated with using it on a 2nd floor will likely depend on the thickness of the floors/insulation. The Woodway is incredibly quiet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
The mat is definitely in my plans as well. Did you isolate the walls with some soundproof foams? (A friend of mine did that for a "traditional" treadmill but I wonder if that's necessary for a woodway)

Also may I ask you how much you weigh? I am around that 145lbs mark (66kg) and I believe that may help to get even less noise

I did not sound-insulate the walls; I don't have any adjoining neighbors. My only sound insulation is the stall mat, and that's really more for dampening vibration (versus "insulating" in the sense of muffling sound) and protecting the wood floor, and for spreading out the weight of the treadmill so it's not focused on the four feet. The stall mats are recycled car tires, with the same hardness as a car tire and significant weight -- a little over 100 lbs for a 4'x8' mat.

I weigh about 155 lbs. The Woodway weighs something like 450!

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally pulled the trigger tonight on a Sole F85. I’ve been trying to track down a F80 locally from Dicks with no luck. There are none in stock in the entire state of CO. I received a Dicks 20% off coupon from my daughter’s sports organization which brought the F85 price down to the F80 price so it was an easy decision. Pretty similar with the F85 having a slightly bigger motor (4.0 hp vs 3.5) and a more stout frame (400lb wt limit vs 350). Being delivered in 2 weeks.

My prior treadmill was a Nordic Track Viewpoint that got regular use for almost 15 years with one roller replacement. Would probably go for more years but got damaged by the moving company during a move to a new house this summer.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Precor that is a gym quality model. I bought it from the Precor distributor years ago.

Built like a tank. I never use it. I’m in Chicago/ Milwaukee area if you want to buy it.

PM me
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Shopping [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s an barely used F80 for sale for 700 in my area. Trying to decide if I should jump on it.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next