Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dying clothes - wool, what could go wrong
Quote | Reply
So I have a wool top, it needs to change colour, it's a lairy line green

I want to make it black, but will settle for something darker.

So, armed with the Internet I have dylon hand-wash dye. Because its green I have to add red to make it darker.

I can follow the instructions, the correct mix, 40 degree water, salt etc but how do I know if the dye will take? What happens if it doesn't? I read some fabrics might not have the capacity to absorb colour. Then what happens?
Quote Reply
Re: Dying clothes - wool, what could go wrong [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've never tried dying wool, but Dylon has worked well for me with other fabrics and if you have wool-specific dye it is worth a shot, especially with lime green.

Do they recommend doing it in a tub or the machine? Add salt?

To watch out for -- if there are any synthetic threads at all they won't take (meaning seams). Buttons will not take.

Dyeing is fun though -- would love to see before and afters
Quote Reply
Re: Dying clothes - wool, what could go wrong [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It says 98% wool. 2% elastane. So I'm guessing the elastane stays green?

I will work on photos. Waitinf for dye to arrive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it probably will, but with the percentage so low it may not matter. If the top is a write-off otherwise, worth the experiment.

You did say hand wash. I'd also be sure the dye is thoroughly distributed and the tub or sink is big enough. May need to swish, depending on instructions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Andrewmc: Oct 1, 20 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So overall, a significant improvement. The stitching is clearly nylon, and the zips didn't change but the sleeves ans hood are black-ish and the body is much darker.

I don't think the body could absorb any more dye. Dylon told me it may not and I added one red and 2 black and this is as dark as it would go.

A great improvement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robin Hood no more!

thanks for the pics, fun experiment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey are you still happy with the dye job?

am thinking of dying my Tilly hat. They're fashionable all of a sudden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I think it's faded a little but still much better than it was originally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked good both before and after. Lime green and other dayglo colors should be back on trend any day now, then on to the pastels! I keep looking for a late ‘80’s Club-A ski jacket to channel my inner Mike Hattrup ...

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Yes. I think it's faded a little but still much better than it was originally

Glad you like it. I think you ruined it though, but I'm a day-glo kind of gal.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a white jean jacket. I look like a high-strung bitch in it. I want to dye it a better color. Denim color makes sense because it’s denim. How can I get to a good, mellow color?

Advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Dying clothes - wool, what could go wrong [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tie dye it. Mellow city.

Or... give it to spaghetti lady and let her do her magic on it.
Last edited by: knewbike: May 12, 21 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Dying clothes - wool, what could go wrong [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tie dying takes skill, man. I’ve tried tie dying a few times and have not been successful.

That psycho spaghetti lady wears white jackets, I guarantee it. You saw her shirt & counter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out a hardware store or amazon for machine dyes. It's really easy with 100% cotton and if you do it right it won't mess up your machine.

the spaghetti lady recommends red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some Rit dye. Do I need to use a “fixer”? Or salt? I’d love to add a lot of salt.

I’m really bad at following recipes. That mess I made with 2 sticks of butter and mushrooms and windy’s recipe was horrible. It was good until it was just awful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used to dye wool (spun and unspun)

jacquard acid dyes are great. you cook the wool and the wool soaks up all the color, and you end up with almost clear water. you let the water cool, so the wool does not felt.

i would have picked black dye, if you wanted a black or almost black end product. you could give it another try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Tie dying takes skill, man. I’ve tried tie dying a few times and have not been successful.

What skill? You tie, you dye. I learnt how in primary school in 1969.

CallMeMaybe wrote:
That psycho spaghetti lady wears white jackets, I guarantee it. You saw her shirt & counter.

No we didn't. You took down the link, while still ranting about it. (The kind of behaviour we expect from someone who wears white denim).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
I have some Rit dye. Do I need to use a “fixer”? Or salt? I’d love to add a lot of salt.

I’m really bad at following recipes. That mess I made with 2 sticks of butter and mushrooms and windy’s recipe was horrible. It was good until it was just awful!

I don't know how old your dye is -- some of the older ones required salt. In the new ones it's part of the formula, fixative built right in.

have a look for machine dyes for cotton on Amazon. The Q&As will tell you how complicated it is (not at all). The hardest part is choosing a color.
Quote Reply
Re: Dying clothes - wool, what could go wrong [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

What skill? You tie, you dye. I learnt how in primary school in 1969.

CallMeMaybe wrote:

No we didn't. You took down the link, while still ranting about it. (The kind of behaviour we expect from someone who wears white denim).

I took the video down out of respect for you. Also, I have my own soul to consider. Our big new puppy (50lbs!) pooped (~1lb!) in the hallway again last night. I woke up and thought the house was on fire (smell!). I’m not out of the woods yet vis a vis that video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
The hardest part is choosing a color.

Truth. Thank you.
Quote Reply