Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Marathon Squared Challenge [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
The event going forward will be less about the sub 3 / sub 3 and just more about the race. I'm thinking the cut off time for completion will be somewhere in the 9-10 hour range. It'll be challenging and let people know they need to respect the distance. Athletes will need to train for the 10k swim. But always open to input from athletes.

Haha...triathletes training for 10km or swimmers training for a marathon ???? Both of those are inherently non starters. So you're left with a few pros who do enough volume for both or some age groupers who were former swimmers who do Ironmans and are curious how a "balanced time" race shakes out.

Now if these stupid covid19 pool restrictions end, we can actually train for 10km....my pool created a set of anti "Dev" rules

• Rule number 1: You can no longer book multiple slots per week even if available, because I was booking doubles if I could win the lottery
  • Rule number 2: After you book your one slot, you could originally show up for drop in. They keep one slot for drop in. I would leave my swim and sprint around the building to be first in line for drop in for the next swim that opens 15 min later. As the drop in countdown opens 15 min in advance, often I would be first back in line.
  • Rule number 3: So then they created a new rule. If you already swam, you can't take the one drop in. I said, if it opens 15 min in advance, other swimmers should get more motivated than me and get in line before I show up.....no go.....no taking drop in if you already swam. Now you have to wait around 15 min into the next swim and only can get spot if someone does not show up within 15 min of their reserved slot

So it seems that rule 1 and 2 were not enough to prevent me from swimming 2x per day, so now its Rule 3 in effect
So now, I finish a 1 hrs swim and jog around for 28 minutes to see if I can get a second 45 min slot....if I can, I get swim number two if not, I just keep running. So I end up with 60 min swim + 60 min run or 60 min swim + 25 min run +45 min swim

The most annoying part of all this is that I have NEVER in 3 months been to a pool session that is full. There are always no shows since they don't charge at reservation time!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Squared Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SnappingT wrote:
The event going forward will be less about the sub 3 / sub 3 and just more about the race. I'm thinking the cut off time for completion will be somewhere in the 9-10 hour range. It'll be challenging and let people know they need to respect the distance. Athletes will need to train for the 10k swim. But always open to input from athletes.

Haha...triathletes training for 10km or swimmers training for a marathon ???? Both of those are inherently non starters. So you're left with a few pros who do enough volume for both or some age groupers who were former swimmers who do Ironmans and are curious how a "balanced time" race shakes out.

Now if these stupid covid19 pool restrictions end, we can actually train for 10km....my pool created a set of anti "Dev" rules

• Rule number 1: You can no longer book multiple slots per week even if available, because I was booking doubles if I could win the lottery
  • Rule number 2: After you book your one slot, you could originally show up for drop in. They keep one slot for drop in. I would leave my swim and sprint around the building to be first in line for drop in for the next swim that opens 15 min later. As the drop in countdown opens 15 min in advance, often I would be first back in line.
  • Rule number 3: So then they created a new rule. If you already swam, you can't take the one drop in. I said, if it opens 15 min in advance, other swimmers should get more motivated than me and get in line before I show up.....no go.....no taking drop in if you already swam. Now you have to wait around 15 min into the next swim and only can get spot if someone does not show up within 15 min of their reserved slot

So it seems that rule 1 and 2 were not enough to prevent me from swimming 2x per day, so now its Rule 3 in effect
So now, I finish a 1 hrs swim and jog around for 28 minutes to see if I can get a second 45 min slot....if I can, I get swim number two if not, I just keep running. So I end up with 60 min swim + 60 min run or 60 min swim + 25 min run +45 min swim

The most annoying part of all this is that I have NEVER in 3 months been to a pool session that is full. There are always no shows since they don't charge at reservation time!!!!

Damn Dev, those rules are truly annoying!!!!! And seemingly directed mainly at you and perhaps a few other dedicated swimmers. Can you go the free swim area and do deep water kicking, and/or swim some breaststroke weaving around the "lolling about" people??? I'm very lucky that the two pools where I swim did not impose restrictions like yours; they do have a 30 min limit rule, which I did observe but the other regular swimmers mostly know me and whenever I offered my spot the other(s) waiting said no, that they figured some other swimmer would get out fairly soon, which generally did occur. As far as I could tell, no one had to wait more than 12-15 min at most. So far I've been very lucky but that will change after Christmas when we will get the annual "new wave" of New Year resolution guys, who seem to like to try swimming a few times and then decide the elliptical is easier. The new guys generally tend to regard me as kind of annoying b/c I'm "always" in the pool, e.g. I'm in there when they come in and then still in there an hour or so later when they leave. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:

Right, no point in emphasizing the sub-3/sub-3 since 99.9% have no chance at making both of those times back to back. I think the 10-hr limit seems most reasonable when all ages and genders are considered. I'm 65 now so I'd be shooting for an 8-ish finish with something like 3:35/4:25, vs 2:50/3:30 at age 35. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Squared Challenge [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
SnappingT wrote:

Damn Dev, those rules are truly annoying!!!!! And seemingly directed mainly at you and perhaps a few other dedicated swimmers. Can you go the free swim area and do deep water kicking, and/or swim some breaststroke weaving around the "lolling about" people??? I'm very lucky that the two pools where I swim did not impose restrictions like yours; they do have a 30 min limit rule, which I did observe but the other regular swimmers mostly know me and whenever I offered my spot the other(s) waiting said no, that they figured some other swimmer would get out fairly soon, which generally did occur. As far as I could tell, no one had to wait more than 12-15 min at most. So far I've been very lucky but that will change after Christmas when we will get the annual "new wave" of New Year resolution guys, who seem to like to try swimming a few times and then decide the elliptical is easier. The new guys generally tend to regard me as kind of annoying b/c I'm "always" in the pool, e.g. I'm in there when they come in and then still in there an hour or so later when they leave. :)

Hey this is a great point. I can only reserve 1x per day in lane swim, but nothing stopping me to reserve also in a public swim that is before or after. There is a rope across the widlth of the pool, but in the past if lane swim ended, I have stayed back and spent the next 45 min to 60 min doing breast, fly, dolphin on front, dolphin on back, kick on side, IM turns 25m free or back from rope to wall to rope and transition to breast or fly at the rope. All of those I can do at the very edge of the pool without kids in the way and the rope across the width does not get in the way. I hate swimming free or back with a rope in the middle.....can never time it right!

On a plus note at least we are swimming again and I am worried that with case count going up our pools will be slammed shut by end of month unless it goes the other way.

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 15, 20 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Squared Challenge [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I was thinking, for no particular reason, you could also track sub 6 for the event. IE for some loser swimmer who swims 2:30 and runs 3:25. .

Wow! Could I get a get a definition for "loser swimmer" as I may be one of them.

There was another race out there for you non-narcissists--a simple loser 10K swim in which the fastest male beat all the "winning" triathletes who were at least 20-30 years younger. (http://snappingtortuga.com/...big-tortuga-october/)
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Squared Challenge [Dickson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was referring to myself, Dickson.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Squared Challenge [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I was referring to myself, Dickson.

Apologies. Sarcasm, I guess. 2:30 will get you top 3 in most 10Ks I've done. Even though 11.5K is probably more accurate comparison to running marathon, I would think most triathletes would struggle to get under 3 hours on a 10k.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Squared Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
SnappingT wrote:

Hey this is a great point. I can only reserve 1x per day in lane swim, but nothing stopping me to reserve also in a public swim that is before or after. There is a rope across the widlth of the pool, but in the past if lane swim ended, I have stayed back and spent the next 45 min to 60 min doing breast, fly, dolphin on front, dolphin on back, kick on side, IM turns 25m free or back from rope to wall to rope and transition to breast or fly at the rope. All of those I can do at the very edge of the pool without kids in the way and the rope across the width does not get in the way. I hate swimming free or back with a rope in the middle.....can never time it right!
On a plus note at least we are swimming again and I am worried that with case count going up our pools will be slammed shut by end of month unless it goes the other way.

Ya, where there's a will there's a way. Know what you mean about swimming free or back with the rope in middle. Depending on which guard is on duty, I can sometimes persuade them to take it out, which enables freestyle but backstroke is still a no go if there are "lolling swimmers" out there, but 3 out 4 strokes, plus the kicking, is pretty good. :)

I sure hope they don't close your pools again!!! Don't the public health people know that the virus can't survive in chlorinated water??? The pool is prob the safest place to get a workout in. Scratching my head over that one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SnappingT, do you have a date in mind for this year yet?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Squared Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s looking like the first weekend in October. I should be able to open up registration in the next month or so.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next