Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I'll take "Dumb UCI Rules" for $800, Alex. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Good point. That is common practice at a lot of races now.
Maybe just get rid of body marking.

Body marking for when people are in the swim is pretty vital. Hopefully something that you'll never need to have used, but for open water then a non-negotiable.

The calf marking if done properly is important for mass/wave start races so people know on the run if the person in front is the same category. However, this isn't safety related, so I'd be comfortable losing that.

In all honesty there's not a lot of tri rules that aren't about safety. The ones people moaned about most are:-
1) headphones in transition (it's a blanket rule, often there are people racking whilst racing from earlier waves are happening, just way easier to police if it's a blanket rule than dealing with the "but I didn't see the sign saying it was live now"
2) Chin straps way too loose - obvious
3) Unplugged road bars - $10,000 of bike with zipps, powermeter, etc etc but can't afford $1 for bungs - same people turned-up every fortnight in the season with same unplugged bung.
4) Grabbing drinks from parents / coach - what about the kids / competitors without the support - no outside assistance. So this one is about fairness not safety, unless it was about people using unsafe locations for informal aid stations, but I never really saw that.
5) Drafting - its about safety. No drafting is safer. Triathletes drafting on open roads is not safe (or legal in some locations).

Also re the fine for the UCI bands. About 2003 then there was a British lady triathlete (Jodie Swallow) that had an issue at a race where the logo size was judged to be too large. So a bit like UCI, strict rules on uniform, and you can see why specifying a max logo size for televised events makes sense for sponsorship reasons. But in this case the issue arose as the logo was on her top, and for anatomical reasons then when she put the standard kit on then the logo exceeded the permitted size, where others in the team it didn't. For very predictable reasons then it got far more media attention than the majority of drafting penalties I gave out......
Quote Reply
Re: I'll take "Dumb UCI Rules" for $800, Alex. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Even on the mens side, shorter stages tend to be more exciting from the start, there aren't long stretches of nothing significant happening.

But the competitiveness aspect isn't the original rationale for keeping the women's races shorter than mens. It was because women were apparently too weak and frail to handle the longer distances (which we know is bullshit)

Absolutely. Just pointing out why the races are still NOW not equal to the mens. IIRC even Lizzie Deignan said as much in her book.

That’s not entirely it though, particularly when it comes to track races and TT’s. I think the GCN guys said that this year is the first year that the men and women both have the same distance for the TT at worlds.

Swimming isn’t much better. The women FINALLY have the 1500 at the olympics.

Well..swimming is better because they now all have equal events, including the 10km. The 10km OWS showed up in the Olympics way before the 1500 IIRC.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: I'll take "Dumb UCI Rules" for $800, Alex. [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:
Maybe we should come up with a list of "UCI Inspired" rules for triathlon.

Do you still need to wear your number on the bike. That always seemed useful, incase the bike stickers helmet stickers and 8 places that are body marked disappeared.

Devil's advocate here, while I get not wanting to wear the numbers, I was working a race a few years ago, an athlete crashed and was rushed to hospital, he did not have his bib number on, and the body markings were abraded away from the road rash. The issue was with identifying the athlete and notifying the family. There were no bike numbers (for anti-theft, the RD used bracelets on the bike and on the athlete, but those were handed out race morning, and not logged who had which number) so there was not an easy means to ID the athlete. Fortunately, the racer had raced Kona a year or two prior, and still had their bike sticker from that race on their bike, so I was able to searc through Sportstats with their kona bib to ID the athlete and cross-reference that with the registration list, so that we could properly record the athlete info and inform the family members waiting back by transition for him... I just felt that it was important to highlight that beyond just the photographers and the ability to assign penalties, there is a utility to having numbers in multiple spots on all legs of the race, so that athletes can be identified when needed, to ensure the events are safe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next