Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please Teach Me About Forks
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello - Long time forum reader, first time poster.

Seeking advice from the bike experts. I have a S 2012 Giant Trinity, that I'm rebuilding (first full build I've done). The frame is fine, I see no reason to replace it. However, I cannot stand the hidden front brake. Sure, it might save me 5 watts, but it's a nightmare to work on. Last year I think I lost more time due to brake rub than aero savings. I'd like to replace the fork with something comparable, but I'm not sure what measurements come into play. Are all "road forks" created equal? If not, what angles and lengths are relevant? How do I find the measurements on my fork as guidance?

Thank you in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Please Teach Me About Forks [Socrates] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a standard 1-1/8" fork. The later model Cervelo ones that were on the P2s and P3s of that era are probably the best, but a 3T Funda is good also.

Quote Reply
Re: Please Teach Me About Forks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response - I'll look into the 3T.

I understand the steerer tube size, I'm really curious about whether forks are all "standardized." I know that frames come in different sizes and geometry, but I've not found much information about forks.

I just want to be sure the fork doesn't angle forward awkwardly:

And that it isn't too tall/short for my bike:

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically, road forks come with different rakes to go with the frame's intended handling characteristics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rake (offset) and the crown to axle length will vary slightly, but not enough to worry about IMO. Make sure it's made for the right wheel size.

Last year I bought a 3T Funda after my other fork broke. The seller didn't know the offset, and it ended up being 53mm vs the 43mm my bike had before (~43mm is much more common). I didn't notice a difference in handling, but did notice that I no longer had toe overlap... which was great!
Quote Reply
Re: Please Teach Me About Forks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear.

(Begins to scour eBay..)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be very reluctant to ever buy a used carbon fork off eBay or anywhere. NOS would be ok. If the fork has an aluminum steerer then the risks are a bit less. If that's your only option then have someone with experience give it a good look over before installing. Should be clear whether the fork has heavy or light use and whether there's any wear at the dropouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does one need to change the fork? Could one change only the stem and handlebars or just the handle bars?

The reason I ask is somewhat similar to the OPs question. I have an older Trek and would like to change handlebars a flat carbon one. I was thinking I could just change the handlebars and stem, getting one with the correct stem circumference and whatever width I'm comfortable with.

Is this correct thinking?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Last edited by: LEBoyd: Sep 22, 20 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: Please Teach Me About Forks [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s changing the fork because he doesn’t want the integrated brake. He’ll probably add an aero brake (ie. TriRig) to whatever fork he settles on. His question is not related to basebar and stem choices.

If you’re fine with the fork you have just pick out a basebar and stem that works for you and you’re good.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Teach Me About Forks [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
Does one need to change the fork? Could one change only the stem and handlebars or just the handle bars?

The reason I ask is somewhat similar to the OPs question. I have an older Trek and would like to change handlebars a flat carbon one. I was thinking I could just change the handlebars and stem, getting one with the correct stem circumference and whatever width I'm comfortable with.

Is this correct thinking?

No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with the little one towards the outside of the plate for entrees and work your way in to the bigger one for your main (read that in pink font please :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does "Forks are better than spoons for eating spaghetti" help at all?

I thought not

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Please Teach Me About Forks [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're on the subject of forks, would there be any sense in switching to a disc front fork and buying a wheel to match.

The world is moving to disc, most of the time I use the front brake the few times I touch a brake in training or racing. And discs are better in all weather.
And that would take advantage of new wheels and aero at the front where logic (but no real knowledge) says it's most important.

Curious, if there is any opinion from the experts.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Teach Me About Forks [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"would there be any sense in switching to a disc front fork and buying a wheel to match"

No.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Teach Me About Forks [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does "cos" mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
And that would take advantage of new wheels and aero at the front where logic (but no real knowledge) says it's most important.

The disc, fork, and wheel would be less aero, so...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The same as no is an explanation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1VXhZT37E&ab_channel=Movieclips
Quote Reply