Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rudy Project The Wing
Quote | Reply
Has anybody seen any aero data comparing this new helmet (2019) to the competition? How comfortable is it, ease of putting on, visor quality? Thanks.

Dimm
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to get any objective data on helmets, since it's basically all dependent on your fit

Best bet is to try one yourself
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, all personal. Looking for personal views on this helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own one, I like it. If it's anything over 80F I'd have the vent open.

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. There is little love for Rudy helmets on this forum due to questionable aerodynamics. This one was developed with Swiss Side so I wonder whether it is at least on par with the better tt helmets out there in terms of aero. I own a Ballista and want to make sure this new helmet will be a material step up in performance, if I make the switch.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's comfortable, very light. I'd measure your head and look at the chart, if you're at the tail end of SM/M I would buy a large. I was at the tail end, bought a small/med and it was too small, rubbed on my earlobes, returned it when they got back in stock and they shipped me a large. Riding with the large was perfect.

Hooker training for the Sport of Scrum-Halves [Triathlon]
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimm wrote:
Has anybody seen any aero data comparing this new helmet (2019) to the competition? How comfortable is it, ease of putting on, visor quality? Thanks.

Dimm

I own one. Very happy with it. This is the most comfy RP TT helmet.
Visor is great, very easy to throw on and off and it attaches really well.
I can only compare to Oakley Aro 7 and Giro AH. I prefer the RP by far.

Sam

Disclaimer 1: I am an RP ambassador
Disclaimer 2: I could easily be another brand's ambassador but I am not
Disclaimer 3: helmets are very personal, try before you buy...
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
Dimm wrote:
Has anybody seen any aero data comparing this new helmet (2019) to the competition? How comfortable is it, ease of putting on, visor quality? Thanks.

Dimm


I own one. Very happy with it. This is the most comfy RP TT helmet.
Visor is great, very easy to throw on and off and it attaches really well.
I can only compare to Oakley Aro 7 and Giro AH. I prefer the RP by far.

Sam

Disclaimer 1: I am an RP ambassador
Disclaimer 2: I could easily be another brand's ambassador but I am not
Disclaimer 3: helmets are very personal, try before you buy...

Thanks, Sam. I managed to take a look at it in person, looks nice. One question is how easy is it to put it on in transition? One needs to somehow pull at the ear covers to put it on (otherwise ears get in the way) and with the visor on top of the helmet (hardly possible to put it on with the visor in place) it didn’t strike me as very easy to do. Have you figured out a way to put it on quickly in transition?

Dimm
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one but I have not used it in a race yet - Thanks China Virus.

I've tried putting it on quickly in my house and its no slower than my Wing 57.

It did seem a bit smaller than the Wing 57 (I sized up to the L when I was previously a S/M)
Last edited by: B.McMaster: Sep 22, 20 2:49
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimm wrote:
sgy wrote:
Dimm wrote:
Has anybody seen any aero data comparing this new helmet (2019) to the competition? How comfortable is it, ease of putting on, visor quality? Thanks.

Dimm


I own one. Very happy with it. This is the most comfy RP TT helmet.
Visor is great, very easy to throw on and off and it attaches really well.
I can only compare to Oakley Aro 7 and Giro AH. I prefer the RP by far.

Sam

Disclaimer 1: I am an RP ambassador
Disclaimer 2: I could easily be another brand's ambassador but I am not
Disclaimer 3: helmets are very personal, try before you buy...


Thanks, Sam. I managed to take a look at it in person, looks nice. One question is how easy is it to put it on in transition? One needs to somehow pull at the ear covers to put it on (otherwise ears get in the way) and with the visor on top of the helmet (hardly possible to put it on with the visor in place) it didn’t strike me as very easy to do. Have you figured out a way to put it on quickly in transition?

Dimm

Very easy to put it on with visor if go for the large size. I have tried both the M and the L and like the L way better. It is comfy, well ventilated and easy to put on and lock in place with the dial on the back. I made a little video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C-jfvblfu0
Also the visor snaps in place very well. You can actually just throw it at your face ;-) No chance it will get lost during a bumpy ride!

Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the video! I see that you can put it on quickly without pulling at the ear flaps. I have a bigger head (my normal helmet size is L) and my ears got in the way when I tried the size L, so I couldn’t do it without pulling. I guess it just takes some practicing at home.

Dimm
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok as an older (51) newer (3 yrs) athlete (Ive done 2 70,3s MOP at ~6 hrs) as long as I get a comfortable aero helmet does it matter that much (my FTPs around 260). I saw the RP data of saving like 2 mins at 200W for a 70.3 Seems like alot of $ for a couple of minutes
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
Ok as an older (51) newer (3 yrs) athlete (Ive done 2 70,3s MOP at ~6 hrs) as long as I get a comfortable aero helmet does it matter that much (my FTPs around 260). I saw the RP data of saving like 2 mins at 200W for a 70.3 Seems like alot of $ for a couple of minutes

Dima, I think 2 min is not bad for what a tt helmet costs. Top wheels, for example, are probably more expensive in terms of $/min. And top level bikes are probably the least effective (again, in terms of $/min) of all compared to mid level ones. You are right though in that there are much cheaper and better bang for buck ways of getting faster - optimizing the aero position is the most obvious one, I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
Ok as an older (51) newer (3 yrs) athlete (Ive done 2 70,3s MOP at ~6 hrs) as long as I get a comfortable aero helmet does it matter that much (my FTPs around 260). I saw the RP data of saving like 2 mins at 200W for a 70.3 Seems like alot of $ for a couple of minutes

But, an aero road helmet is similarly priced to TT helmet but just slower. There may be reasons not to use TT helmet (weigh, cooling, comfort) but cost isn’t really one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well unless you already own a road helmet :)
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
well unless you already own a road helmet :)

But you still spent money on it. The “extra” cost on a TT helmet is not fairly viewed as the cost of the helmet versus $0....it’s the cost of the helmet versus the cost of whatever helmet you wear on your head.

You could sell your aero road helmet, and buy a used Giro A2 for $25-$50, be faster and have more money in your pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not true, Im not wearing an aero helmet on my road bike...so I now have 1 helmet and to get a TT helmet, 1 helmet becomes 2
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
Not true, Im not wearing an aero helmet on my road bike...so I now have 1 helmet and to get a TT helmet, 1 helmet becomes 2

I’m didn’t know you could wear two helmets at once. Even if you wanted two helmets, I could easily find you a road helmet better suited for cycling than your aero road helmet and a TT helmet that, combined, would be cheaper than your aero road helmet and still faster in a triathlon. So again, money shouldn’t be the consideration in my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’m didn’t know you could wear two helmets at once.
stop being an Ahole and drop the snarkyness
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project The Wing [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seem to have the snarky know it all attitude. I’m just providing info to OP that your assumptions are incorrect. Again, cost shouldn’t be the factor as TR helmets can be found very cheap. If you want to wear your rode helmet all the time, go for it. But, that’s not my advice for OP.
Quote Reply