Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I sure hope we get to see a healthy Remco square off against Pogocar at some races next year.

I can't believe the youth movement. The old CW was that a rider hit their peak GC capability at about 27 or 28. Other than Kristoff, I can't think of anyone much over 25 winning a stage. If it weren't for shaving his legs, I don't know that a guy like Kamna or Pogacar would actually own a razor.
Seriously. Maybe it's time to repurpose the white jersey into an old man's jersey for the 26+ crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ The Grey Jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a fan of TDM still whinging:
why did he gave up in the Pyrenees to go for the yellow when he felt he was not so strong as Roglic.
He worked his ass off for Roglic every day, loosing time at the end of a lot of stages because of that, and ended up only 7 minutes down.
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing this won't go over well here.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/...e-des-belles-filles/
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three recent last day/next to last day reversals in recent years that no one remembers:

1. Andy Schlek loses yellow to Cadel Evans, penultimate day, 2011 Tour.

2. RodrĂ­guez loses pink to Ryder Hesjedal final day 2012 Giro.

3. Nairo Quintana loses pink to Tom Dumoulin final day 2017 Giro.

Sorry, but no one will remember yesterday in a few years. The Lemond-Fignon story was much more dramatic, the TV cameras aught the drama much better with Lemond hugging his wife and Fignon’s utter collapse on the ground. Plus there was the whole backstory of Lemond recovery from the hunting accident.
Last edited by: J7: Sep 20, 20 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily disagreeing with your statement that nobody will remember based on those 3 reversals but I think one difference to consider is that even those that thought Pogacar could beat Roglic in the TT yesterday didn't think it would be by a minute--in at least two out of those three races you listed I seem to remember there being a lot more doubt (if not outright their lead isn't big enough) about the lead of the yellow jersey. Yesterday there was a lot more 'shock' since most saw Roglic/Jumbo as unbeatable and also because Pogacar 'smashed' it. (I'll leave the last bit of your post to others to discuss...)
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
Not necessarily disagreeing with your statement that nobody will remember based on those 3 reversals but I think one difference to consider is that even those that thought Pogacar could beat Roglic in the TT yesterday didn't think it would be by a minute--in at least two out of those three races you listed I seem to remember there being a lot more doubt (if not outright their lead isn't big enough) about the lead of the yellow jersey. Yesterday there was a lot more 'shock' since most saw Roglic/Jumbo as unbeatable and also because Pogacar 'smashed' it. (I'll leave the last bit of your post to others to discuss...)

In Evans vs Schleck (TdF 11) and Dumoulin vs Quintana (Giro 2017) it was well anticipated that the latter ones did not have enough of a lead and would lose the TT and the question was by how much and if they would lose the jersey. In the case of yesteday it was a toss up who would win the TT and if a minute was in the realm of recoverable (or generally regarded as easily defendable).
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disagree. Lemond was tipped by many of newspapers in Europe to win that TT. The TT finishing the last day of the race in Paris added to the drama, but it was not a shock that Lemond won. Lemond rode the TT with aero bars and wearing an aero helmet and in someways helped usher in a new era at the TdF. It was an incredible performance and one of the most memorable races. That said, nobody thought Pogacar would be in yellow at the end of the day yesterday. It was obviously a TT route made for drama with a brutal 5k climb at the end to the top, but Pogacar crushed it. Roglic was on the struggle bus and looked desperate as his lead vanished. Yesterday's stage was one for the books. One of the best descriptions of Roglic's ride was written by the Inrng..."Roglič was pedalling like a child on a new mountain bike who hasn’t worked out how to change gears, his feet spinning but hardly moving forwards."
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:

Haha...the conspiracy theorists will say no one wants the power data leaked out after Peyresourde and questioning how a 7W per kilo 20 min climb (estimates) is happening on the last week of the TdF. Most of the comments on Cyclingnews articles are debating how possible that ITT was. At this point, I want to believe all teams on the same stuff under the bio passport and using what they can get away with.

In fairness, Pogacar has been riding much further back in the Peloton all 3 weeks compared to Roglic. Roglic likely pushed more cumulative kilojoules over 3 weeks but I think he was just too fit at the start of August.
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m hearing that Roglić used a new helmet yesterday. Didn’t look like it had any ventilation at all and he looked seriously wet under it at the finish. Plus look like he had to raise it up a bit to induce more head cooling. Perhaps that was the reason for his meltdown, sure would like to see some power numbers from him.

And according to Eddie Merckx, Pogacars win may not of been the best thing for him, career wise. Also Eddie took jumbo to task for royally messing the tour up for Roglić, Being too defensive
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
My prediction: everyone will overheat from pushing 450W on the last climb.

bwahahahaha nice

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting you heard that about the helmet—I commented to a buddy that almost all the guys were ripping off the visors on their helmets on the climb/beginning of the climb-had to assume for ‘cooling’ with the aero helmets—will we reach the point we see bike AND helmet switches?? Full F1 stuff-mechanic grabs bikes from top of car while rider drops bike/rips off aero helmet-rider jumps on bike while other team person slaps helmet on riders head....

Eddie definitely NOT a fan of the way Jumbo races this race........
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Doesn't seem that crazy to me, especially since he did use on on the TT bike. I'm not sure about the "smoking gun" comparison to Aru's ride either (beating his time up by 2 seconds) because I thought the finish that year was another 1k further up the climb.
Quote Reply
Re: Xmas on ST: Tour de France ITT on Planche de Belle Filles [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also Aru's ride was on a road stage so there was drafting for part of it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next