Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool
Quote | Reply
Wanted to see if a workout is possible in my backyard pool and went for 4x400m. Measured bpms along the way - see results yourself -
Quote Reply
Re: Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool [supervisor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice way to get in a good aerobic pace workout, but sorry, there is no way that was 1:30 per 100m pace.

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by: TX83: Sep 18, 20 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool [supervisor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice pool, I like it!

I too would be surprised if that's a real 1:30/100m pace, but if it is you are one super smooth swimmer!

Curious, did you ever try just doing tethered swimming in that pool for a comparison? I'm not myself in the market for a pool, but if I was and was intent on doing it 'on the cheap', I'd buy a similar sized pool to the one you have and install a tether. I'm curious as to how different the tethered swim is compared to the current generator.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
supervisor wrote:
Wanted to see if a workout is possible in my backyard pool and went for 4 x 400m. Measured bpms along the way - see results yourself -

Is it the Endless Pool software that is saying 1:30/100 m, or is it your Garmin??? In any case, regardless of the pace, you do have a nice smooth stroke. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the good feedback on my freestlye stroke :)

1:30min/100m is what the manufacturer says for the specific speed of the counter current. The Fenix 3 /Garmin app is closely in line with this.

Today I did a set of 1x 400 @1:30min, 3x 400 @1:16min and 1x200 @1:30min. The Connect app calculated an average speed of 1:20min overall based on my manually entered meters and stopped times via the Fenix 3.

I also did a test measuring excatly 1,3 meters, putting a little boat in the current, setting the device to full speed and stopped the time it took the boat to swim the 1,3m. Result was very close to 1s. No scientifc test set up but good enough as rule of thumb ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool [supervisor268] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
supervisor268 wrote:
Thanks for the good feedback on my freestlye stroke :)

1:30min/100m is what the manufacturer says for the specific speed of the counter current. The Fenix 3 /Garmin app is closely in line with this.

Today I did a set of 1x 400 @1:30min, 3x 400 @1:16min and 1x200 @1:30min. The Connect app calculated an average speed of 1:20min overall based on my manually entered meters and stopped times via the Fenix 3.

I also did a test measuring excatly 1,3 meters, putting a little boat in the current, setting the device to full speed and stopped the time it took the boat to swim the 1,3m. Result was very close to 1s. No scientifc test set up but good enough as rule of thumb ;)

Very interesting, 5:04/400 m would translate to around 5:45-ish for 500 yd, which is pretty fast for a set of three 500s IMO. How do your EP times compare to your times in the pool??? As I'm sure you know, pool times are the "measure of truth." With your smoothness, you've obviously spent several 1000 hrs in the pool honing your stroke, correct??? :)

Quote Reply
Re: Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Between my age of 6 and 22 I spend 5 days/week with 2 hours/day swimming average of 5000m daily. Additional 3 hours/week where cross fitness, stretching & weight lifting.
Every weekend except school holidays I did races.

I have never counted these hours but I guess it was quite a lot - but that was my very satisfactory teenage life ;)

I did not swim at all for 10+ years but it seems to be like riding a bicycle - you never forget what you learned :)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool [supervisor268] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
supervisor268 wrote:
Between my age of 6 and 22 I spend 5 days/week with 2 hours/day swimming average of 5000 m daily. Additional 3 hours/week where cross fitness, stretching & weight lifting.
Every weekend except school holidays I did races.

I have never counted these hours but I guess it was quite a lot - but that was my very satisfactory teenage life ;)

I did not swim at all for 10+ years but it seems to be like riding a bicycle - you never forget what you learned :)

Ya, that's about what I figured, and your program was relatively low yardage. I had a roommate back in my 20s who swam for North Carolina and they went 8000 yd in the morning and 8000 in the afternoon, 6 days/wk, with Sundays off. That's 96,000 yd/wk!!! Of course, he did go 1:37 for 200 free, and this was back in the late 80s when the AR was "only" 1:33 (Matt Biondi). As for myself, my training was more similar to yours, around 30,000 yd/wk on avg; I've gone 60-70,000 yd/wk but only for 3-4 wks at a time b/c I always got way too tired.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Dry cool!

Which make and model is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the Bestway Swimfinity 58517 Countercurrent Swimming and Fitness Machine.

If you google this you will find some online shops in Europe that sell it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the video example. Very helpful. Will you kindly:

- Share your pool type and dimensions (L x W x D).

- Provide the length, width, and depth of the current for which you need to maintain your body position for optimal swimming.

- I'm a 1:40/100 yard IM distance swimmer. All pools available to the public for lap swim in Pueblo, Colorado have been shutdown since May (Covid). I don't see them opening until spring if lucky. I have a 48' x 40' garage I wish to set up a small training pool similar to yours for myself and two younger daughter who's swim club has also not swam since May. They will be swimming for clubs and HS another 6 and 8 years before heading to college. We are desperate for stroke/technique work/training w/ aerobic (base) building fitness once again. Would a system like yours satisfy this need? Eventually, their HS pools will open again, but for the foreseeable future, I need to implement something.

Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Swim workout & bpm measurements with cheap Endless Pool [sstaples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for my very, very late reply to your question.

The dimensions of my pool are
6m length x 3m width x 1,45m depth

Swimfinity needs these mininmum pool dimensions according to the manufacturer
Minimum pool size requirements: Depth > 3.28ft (1.0m), Length > 15.1ft (4.6m), Width > 8.2ft (2.5m)

Swimfinity also works with above ground pools from the Bestway and potentially Intex

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Fastlane is 3.6kw and has a 1.35m/sec maximum speed. There's no way a 0.84w thing could provide a 1.3m/sec flow. Believe it or not
Quote Reply