Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I could use some advice on bike gear
Quote | Reply
Background:

Average recreational bike rider, half dozen 100 mile fondos
Lifetime runner
Occasional Tri guy (5 IM, 10 HIM, bunches of oly and sprints) all for fun
I don't like to ride in groups, prefer the river bike trails (soCal)

I ride a road bike now (abandoned the tri bike because my neck hurts)
Recently acquired a Kickr and Zwift
I really need more time on hills, hopefully Zwift will help that.
age 65
Current bike is a Fuji Gran Fondo 105, 11 speed, nothing fancy, but it works for me.

Since getting Zwift, I see how riding with power will be a good thing.
Plus, I just signed up for IMCDA 2021, 10 months to get back in shape after 1 year of inactivity (bar heavy drinking).

So I want to upgrade to Di2 and a power meter.

My initial question is simple, but I expect it to go off into all kinds of tangents with the responses from you kind folks.

1. Pros and Cons of buying a used bike with the components I want , or should I upgrade my current bike.

Keep in mind I am a cheap bastard, but the reality is I have six or seven other expensive recreational activities that I need to spread my discretionary dollars to, so I want to keep the costs low. I would prefer not to mention a budget because I know that most riders here have no issue spending 5-10k on gear. That is not me.

Secondary question

2. For someone like me who is in it for fun and fitness, what make/model of components makes financial / fitness sense?

Keep in mind I do not mind sarcasm or insults. I have lurked here long enough to know I can even learn from those.

BTW, the search function would take me until winter to cull through ;)

Quote Reply
Re: I could use some advice on bike gear [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skip the Di2. It's a "nice to have" but in no way necessary. I say that even though I have it, love it, and will never be without it.

Grab some used power pedals, preferably dual sided. I think there are some in the Classifieds section now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mention being able to afford it.... spend some money, enjoy your hobby. If you can afford it, then don’t torture yourself. Life is short, and you are talking about splashing out on bike gear, not street gear. You are a rock star!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buying a used bike is just a trade of cost versus newness and potential unseen issues. I rate unseen issue risk very low, so it is principally the newness.

If you get a power meter, I highly a PM that measures total power versus a single-sided meter. That will give you better numbers relative to your trainer.

One of the easiest, best, and least expensive power meter options is the Assioma Duo pedals. They are highly accurate and compatible with everything. The main driver not to get them is if you are married to a particular type of pedal and cleat.

If you are patient and can do the work yourself, upgrading to Di2 is a great way to go. You already have a solid bike that works for you. You probably would not improve on that much with a new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you need a time trial bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I could use some advice on bike gear [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Buying a used bike is just a trade of cost versus newness and potential unseen issues. I rate unseen issue risk very low, so it is principally the newness.

If you get a power meter, I highly a PM that measures total power versus a single-sided meter. That will give you better numbers relative to your trainer.

One of the easiest, best, and least expensive power meter options is the Assioma Duo pedals. They are highly accurate and compatible with everything. The main driver not to get them is if you are married to a particular type of pedal and cleat.

If you are patient and can do the work yourself, upgrading to Di2 is a great way to go. You already have a solid bike that works for you. You probably would not improve on that much with a new bike.

What are your thoughts about the hub type PM? I just bought Speedplay Zeros and love them.

Quote Reply
Re: I could use some advice on bike gear [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Hmm....I ride for fitness and am training for IMCDA. Riding that distance in an aggressive position hurts my old neck.
Not sure what I wrote suggests TT bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

What are your thoughts about the hub type PM? I just bought Speedplay Zeros and love them.

I'd find a used Powertap wheel or set and be done.

I bought a Flo front wheel and matching rim. Found someone selling a PT and had it laced into the rim. I have not regretted it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
The PowerTap hub PM is a gold standard of awesome.

Since you are in the Speedplay realm, definitely go with a hub or crank PM. Crank arm PMs are OK, but you will want to make sure to get a dual sided crank arm PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Hmm....I ride for fitness and am training for IMCDA. Riding that distance in an aggressive position hurts my old neck.

You are going to be doing Ironman CDA.

You just need a proper fit on a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I could use some advice on bike gear [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power Tap. Check.. That I can do.

Your thoughts on Di2? Worth it?
Quote Reply
Re: I could use some advice on bike gear [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Bleucheese wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

You are going to be doing Ironman CDA.

You just need a proper fit on a TT bike.

I see your point. I had a Slowtwitch approved fitter do his thing on my Tri bike, but the last couple of years my neck couldn't take the strain. So I ended up sitting up in my last two IM's. Changed to a road bike with clamp-ons and the neck pain subsided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love Di2. I started with 105 on my TT bike. Then, I upgraded that to Ultegra mechanical. Then, I upgraded to Ultegra Di2. At the same time, I upgraded my road bike to SRAM eTap.

Electronic shifting is a wonderful convenience. But, I think it also helps you ride more efficiently. It is so quick and easy to shift any time, that I shift much more frequently with electronic so I can maintain my optimal cadence and power. For road bikes, I personally much prefer eTap, because the shifting interface is perfect. Di2 has dual up/down buttons on each shifter, so it requires a little more thought and tactile effort to shift versus eTap. eTap feels more natural to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the PM, just go with a single-sided (left crankarm) one like the 4iiii, or Stages (I have both and personally the 4iiii is the better product). You can get a used one on eBay for $200-300.

For Di2, it's a nice to have.....but VERY nice (I'm never going back to mech). Retrofit is kind of a mess, I'd get a new/used bike that comes with Di2 and dedicate the Fuji to the trainer. A dedicated trainer bike makes life so much easier.

FWIW, I was riding a 2004 9spd Fuji Team that is now my dedicated Zwift bike. I bought an 2016 11spd BMC SLR02 with Ultegra Di2 off eBay for $1750 (it was 1yr old, raced by a Cat2). BMC was selling off the last season new bikes on eBay (same year/model) for $2500...but I'm cheap.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply