Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there etc. While they were all nice people it felt awkward to run into each other at events and training etc.

Focus group of one - have had most success with people who have their own passions that they pursue with the same focus and vigor and so they get what it means to be committed and enthusiastic about something. Usually also means that they are enthusiastic about helping you achieve success in yours.

One couple I recently met exemplified this totally. She was a pro level ultra trail runner and he was a photographer. He enjoyed being her Sherpa for races and she was open to him traveling alone frequently to focus on his work. They seemed like one of the most self actualized couples Iā€™ve ever met...
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

The problem with meeting people at big, out of town races is that they will likely live somewhere far away from you. I've met single women at lots of out of town races but NONE of them lived anywhere near me. Now I have met a girl or two at LOCAL races and they lived in my local area. However, based on many yrs of experience, I think the very best place to meet single girls is the pool where you swim regularly. You get to see pretty much exactly what their body looks like, and what they look like with wet hair and minimal makeup. Of course, this strategy requires that you swim regularly to have success. One swim a week is not really going to work but 4 or more swims of an hour or so should do the trick.

It may or may not be a problem, depends on what you are looking for ;-) I assume the original OP falls into the "Men seeking women" category of Craigslist personals (since most women have no issues meeting men). He did not mention (or I missed it) if he was looking for something serious or not.

As a dude that wasn't looking for something serious a few years ago, my generalized opinion is that many single triathlete/marathon running chicks are the successful, type-A and confident type. They will use and abuse you for a weekend, specially if they don't have to see you again when they go back to their normal lives. Even better if they are middle aged, fit, coming out of an ugly divorce after catching hubby cheating with a younger stripper (ok.. getting carried away). Works well if you just want to have fun, but if you are looking for Ms. right, then yeah I agree it is better to look within your athletic community.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
vanchize wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Here are a couple of proven strategies

1. choose a big race, go to it. The bigger the race the better. Don't race. Instead break out your preferred app. Go to transition. Set the range in the app to 1 mile. Start swiping. I've heard the record is 17 meet & greets in a single 3 day race weekend. Speed dating at it's finest.

Clever.

Genius. Finally found a reason to volunteer for a race and pump up my numbers.

And you guys think I just give out coaching advice to my athletes!

Lmfao this is fucking amazing Brian.

TBH the dating apps are pretty shitty where I live. The dating pool sucks. I also subscribe in the "don't look for a triathlete" per se, but the problem I see is spending so much time away from them seems kind of shitty, so I just try to find people that seem like they have pretty motivated careers or interests. But I will be honest it's a shit show out there; the younger demographic is basically looking to watch Netflix and drink copious amounts of beer.

I have yet to try that "one trick" though; seems freaking amazing lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
fishgo wrote:
Apparently you haven't read the T3 thread.

For reference

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=4092051#p4092051

Enjoy your day

Despite being here a few years, had never gotten around to this corridor of the ST Hall of Fame. Haha. Perfect for my slow day off as Home School prinicpal.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
RandMart wrote:
fishgo wrote:

For reference

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=4092051#p4092051

Enjoy your day

Despite being here a few years, had never gotten around to this corridor of the ST Hall of Fame. Haha. Perfect for my slow day off as Home School prinicpal.

Though I would never aspire to call myself "ST Trainwreck Historian" I have just enough OCD to have some very special threads bookmarked

You're welcome

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a recurring dream* where, while doing a triathlon, I canā€™t find my shoes

They are in a pile with everyone elseā€™s shoes at T2 [one of those ā€œletā€™s have funā€ angles that triathlon directors throw in from time to time]. I meet a cute girl, searching for her sneakers, and within seconds weā€™re smitten with each other

Itā€™s not long before weā€™re having sex in a Florida condo stairwell

* "Dream? If you say so"

Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
... after catching hubby cheating with a younger stripper

I've told this one before ...

You know the old trope "I'm only doing this to pay for college?" When I was working at The Dolphin Club, I met a girls who were doing just that; two were Engineering students at Drexel, one was studying Law at Temple and another was going for her Masters in English at Penn

The funny thing was that I didn't learn these details while they were between sets in the club, but from talking with them while we were running together in Fairmount Park

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I have a recurring dream* where, while doing a triathlon, I canā€™t find my shoes

They are in a pile with everyone elseā€™s shoes at T2 [one of those ā€œletā€™s have funā€ angles that triathlon directors throw in from time to time]. I meet a cute girl, searching for her sneakers, and within seconds weā€™re smitten with each other

* "Dream? If you say so"

So, did you both do the run, or did you DNF so that you could farck ASAP??? We need a few more details here. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

* "Dream? If you say so"

Omg dude! You're too much...Lmao
Last edited by: WFPB Athlete: Sep 18, 20 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find yourself a girlfriend first and then start tris together as a fun thing to do together. Worked for me. Beats looking for another self absorbed person already into the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
david wrote:
Nah, you don't want a triathlete . . . they are all high maintenance, they tell the same stories over and over, and enough is never enough.

Go for a pure runner

Yup they train less and unless super competitive also more chill about their sport. Also they have more time so they can cook and clean for you šŸ˜ƒ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
djmsbr wrote:
Outside of divorce court. Often, one ex spouse is a triathlete and the other not. You will probably be able to deduce which is which.

As I've posted before: I know a few folks whose IronHubby or IronMissus is now an IronEx

I couple I know devoted probably a decade racing 1-2 IM's a year to get to IM Hawaii.
One of them finally did through the legacy program.
They divorced a year later.
Gotta have something going on more than just triathlon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
Where's the best place to meet other single triathletes?

This thread?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
Where's the best place to meet other single triathletes? Obviously local triathlon, cycling, running, and swimming clubs are good places to meet new people, but most of us know the majority within our social circles already and would like to meet new people. What are the best places to meet other triathletes?

Don't do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is from my side: former co-ed soccer team mate, we were dating casually so we weren't fully aware of each others whereabouts, schedules, etc. I found out she was active in the "industry". She was in her early 20s, fresh out of university, with a full time job (allegedly) in the marketing sector, so a part time gig it seemed.

Second one, was actually a more serious relationship with a successful doctor (she was a triathlete by the way, but not very serious) she had done it for a few years part-time while in med-school.

No stigma from my side, like any trade, they did learn a few "skills" that I enjoyed. Once I met a construction site super that had been a manager of a strip club and according to him, most folks would not believe how many girls "pay for college" some do it for a few weeks, some for months, during summer, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [insulinpower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
insulinpower wrote:
Focus group of one - have had most success with people who have their own passions that they pursue with the same focus and vigor and so they get what it means to be committed and enthusiastic about something. Usually also means that they are enthusiastic about helping you achieve success in yours.

Amen. I have a wife, not a training partner;).

I thought I wanted a partner who shared the same fitness interests until I met someone with her own interests. Turns out to be a very healthy mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
These reponses are awesome from a humorous standpoint, but you make a good point about not thinking it has to be a triathlete. I think someone that is compatible in personality and values is most important followed by shared interests such as an active lifestyle not necessarily sbr.

from personal experience, this is the answer.

find someone you mesh well with and someone that enjoys an active lifestyle, no matter what discipline they choose. if you have different activities of choice then you will be able to support each other in each other's endeavors, as well as dip your toes in something you're not used to.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transition morning of or after the race, and the expo tents.

Oh. Oh crap. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
True dating story. Not mine but it involves an ITU athlete who most would recognize.

I've got a good ITU athlete 'dating' story...

I was going out with a triathlete from another country who raced some ITU races, but did better over Ironman including a few podiums. Before we started going out, I met her at a World Champs & we started corresponding. We met up a couple of years later when she moved to my country to train before another World Championships, & were together for 3-4 months.

Anyhow...I saw one of her countrymen say something a bit odd to her, and it turned out that this guy & a very very very well known ITU athlete (name definitely redacted), had a bet as to which one of them would 'nail' her by the weekend.
The ITU guy is very very well known, and at the time was a family man with a great reputation.

Neither of them won the bet.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:

What T3 thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to meet single triathletes? [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0ironman%20#p4092051

Happy reading. A real classic!šŸ¤£
Quote Reply

Prev Next